MD/VA/DC Shmupmeet Winter 2014 (2/8), now with 500% more cab

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
StarCreator

MD/VA/DC Shmupmeet Winter 2014 (2/8), now with 500% more cab

Post by StarCreator »

Weird idea I was bouncing off nZero earlier tonight: I have a cab in the basement now and while the place needs a bit more cleaning, maybe I can help take the load off Kiken a bit and host the next one? I live about 10 minutes away from where we usually meet up (unfortunately further away from the highway and food options) and my collection of STGs is lackluster compared to everyone else, so I would have to count on you guys to bring what you want to play beyond the Cave PS2 and 360 ports and Esprade.

If it sounds good, should we start talking about dates? Probably early to mid February to give us time to recover from MAGFest and hopefully Yes Boss will be back in town by then.
Last edited by StarCreator on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kiken

Re: MD/VA/DC Shmupmeet Winter 2014?

Post by Kiken »

No problem at all. How many screens do you have? Should we bring some extras? I have loads of system bags and can always toss a couple of consoles and games into them for transportation.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Early February (weekend of 8-9?) would be great. Will we be streaming this one? If Zakk wouldn't mind bringing his Raiden DX PCB to throw in the cab for a while, I don't really need anything else :P

Edit: By the way STC, do you have one of those setups to run the 360 in your cab?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I have two CRTs down here. They both take S-Video. One is 4:3 and one is 16:9. They're both huge and I've never tried tipping them on their side though. There's also a DLP TV down here but I don't think that's going to be of much use to us since lag is an issue on it. If you guys want to bring displays I'll try to have tables ready for it.

Getting consoles hooked up in the cab is a work in progress - it doesn't have a chassis capable of 31KHz but I picked up a Super Emotia GX off of eBay that should let me downscale things. It's probably better to assume the cab is just going to be used for PCBs though.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

So February 8 works for me if it works for you guys.

Bit of a changeup though - instead of one cab, it'll be 5 cabs in my basement (mine and four of Yes Boss's). Two of the cabs will be dedicated to 360s, feel free to bring PCBs for the rest. Hope I don't trip a breaker.
zakk

Re: MD/VA/DC Shmupmeet Winter 2014, now with 500% more cab

Post by zakk »

Feb 8th should be fine for me, no plans then as of now.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Kiken and I are cool with the 8th :)
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
nZero

Post by nZero »

Thumbs up for the 8th, and I'll bring one or two more. Does this mean it's time to discuss dinner plans? :P
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

As I mentioned before, I'm a little farther away from most food options - only thing within a 10 minute radius is a brick oven pizza place which is decent enough and if people are OK with that it's definitely the easiest/fastest option. Beyond that, the closest area with decent food is Olney - and any food option we would have explored from Kiken's place is still viable, but takes 10-15 more minutes to get to.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

We're like six weeks out--plenty of time to decide!

[note also that we could get delivery and/or bring food if necessary]
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Just to get this ball rolling... there are five cabs we'll have for the meet: an Egret 2, a Blast City, an Astro City, and two Vewlixes. All but the Blast and one of the Vewlixes are vertical. The three SD cabs are not set up for consoles, but we can run anything on 360/PS3 on the Vewlixes. There's also a SD TV down here (horizontal) we can set a console up on.

My PCB collection currently consists of Espgaluda 2 and Esprade as far as shmups goes, and I have Yes Boss's Battle Bakraid here. I have an MVS and an F3 if anyone wants to bring carts for that.
Yes Boss!

Post by Yes Boss! »

I also have the usual Ibara and Mushi-tama if they need to be brought.

And I'll be bringing The new Karous on 3DS if anybody wants to check it out (comes out end of january).
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Just under two weeks! I sent a PM out with directions to my place a bit ago, let me know if anyone still needs it.

I might be giving away the widescreen CRT in the next week, but the 4:3 will still be around. Not sure if we're still using the TVs since they're likely too big and heavy to be tate'd. I'll have table space for TVs if people want to bring them though.

Hoping Puyo Puyo Tetris gets here in time.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

StarCreator wrote:Just under two weeks! I sent a PM out with directions to my place a bit ago, let me know if anyone still needs it.

I might be giving away the widescreen CRT in the next week, but the 4:3 will still be around. Not sure if we're still using the TVs since they're likely too big and heavy to be tate'd. I'll have table space for TVs if people want to bring them though.

Hoping Puyo Puyo Tetris gets here in time.
What types of video inputs can your cabs accept (are they JAMMA RGB and VGA only)? Is there an S-Video and/or Component to RGB transcoder that we can use?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Kiken wrote:What types of video inputs can your cabs accept (are they JAMMA RGB and VGA only)? Is there an S-Video and/or Component to RGB transcoder that we can use?
None of the candies are set up for consoles of any sort unfortunately. The Vewlixes will be running 360 games.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

StarCreator wrote:
Kiken wrote:What types of video inputs can your cabs accept (are they JAMMA RGB and VGA only)? Is there an S-Video and/or Component to RGB transcoder that we can use?
None of the candies are set up for consoles of any sort unfortunately. The Vewlixes will be running 360 games.
You're going to have to look into tate'ing something, otherwise Gwyrgyn's going to go through Garegga withdrawal.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Kiken wrote:
StarCreator wrote:
You're going to have to look into tate'ing something, otherwise Gwyrgyn's going to go through Garegga withdrawal.
I'll bring my PCB ;)
Gwyrgyn Blood

Re: MD/VA/DC Shmupmeet Winter 2014 (2/8), now with 500% more

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

I should be able to make it. I will bring my basket of PCBs, if anyone wants to buy any of them (aside from Outzone and Dogyuun) they are welcome to.
zakk

Post by zakk »

What options do we have for getting video out of any of the cabs for streaming?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I've been slammed at work and haven't had any time to look into things at all. You are probably better off than I am in that department. I would imagine if you have a JAMMA splitter we could work from there; I have one of those StarTech capture cards in my PC but haven't tried it out yet.

Capturing from the 360s should be really simple, both my PCs can capture HDMI (assuming the StarTech card works) and splitting HDMI is trivial.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

There seems to be potential for bad weather this weekend, please hold off on snow dances until next week!
zakk

Post by zakk »

I don't have anything to split out jamma, since I hacked my cabs to pull the video externally. Guess we'll be limited to console stuff. I'll bring all my streaming stuff anyways, long streams are a good way to find bugs in my code anyways u_u
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Should we bring along some snacks/drinks? I figure I should bring my 360 since I have quite a lot of the DLC stuff. What video cables should I bring?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Any snacks you guys want to bring are good. I'll probably pick up some chips and stuff also. I'll make sure to get the fridge running.

I think just power cables is all we'd need for the 360, and you can bring anything for the CRT (I have it wired to an S-Video switch right now). I have backup plans if you want to run something Tate on console also.
zakk

Post by zakk »

I'll bring DDP2, Raiden DX and Garegga PCBs and entirely too much video capture related stuff.

I think that's the only interesting ones I have, unless everyone really wants to play Ibara BL again (you don't) Pink Sweets maybe? Although I guess we have that covered on the 360.
nZero

Post by nZero »

If anyone has anything they want translated from Japanese they should bring it, a native speaker is tagging along with me this time.
zakk

Post by zakk »

finally, I'll be able to enjoy the dialog in all this yaoi!
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

nZero wrote:If anyone has anything they want translated from Japanese they should bring it, a native speaker is tagging along with me this time.
AWRITE, we'll finally be able to play the Gradius board game! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

See you guys tomorrow at StarCreator's place!
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Thanks for having us, StarCreator!

I still have the Puzzle Bobble theme in my head... T_T