3rd Bay Area shmupmeet in San Jose, CA on Sat., Oct. 29, '05

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Cool, looks like we have critical mass to set the date for Saturday October 29th.

As mentioned previously I'd like to hold a competition, a DDP Triathlon with all 3 versions (DDP, DDP Bee Storm, DDP DOJ). Details on the competition are still to be worked out. The blue namco cab will be setup with a Mame DDP training environment (maybe we can get an .inp capture of Bernard 1CCing :D). I also have a couple new boards: DDP DOJ, ESPGaluda, 19XX and 1944 Loop Master. I've setup my 2nd PS2 on the Windy2 cab, so we can do a side-by-side comparison of DOJ and ESPGaluda ports against the PCBs...you may be surprised which looks/feels better. I've also got Gigawing Generations setup on the PS2 showtime cab...outside of the non-tate, I'm liking it. And lastly, Raiden 3 (PS2) will be playable on the Windy2 cab.

I'll send out confirmation PM's to all who are attending a few days before the meet.
Last edited by Dave_K. on Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Each meet just gets better and better! :D

Time for Little Caesar pizzas again. :D
BER

Post by BER »

Dave_K. wrote:As mentioned previously I'd like to hold a competition, a DDP Triathlon with all 3 versions (DDP, DDP Bee Storm, DDP DOJ). Details on the competition are still to be worked out.
Actually, I'm more interested in having a competition similar to INH's 4th Insanity Cup, which you can find more information about here:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5592

Basically, the competition is head-to-head battles on collecting the most 5-chips in the first stage of Ketsui.
Dave_K. wrote:The blue namco cab will be setup with a Mame DDP training environment (maybe we can get an .inp capture of Bernard 1CCing :D).
Haha, well, I haven't played any DoDonPachi in weeks. And I don't intend to play it soon, because I'm still stuck in my job search. So I'll be out of shape for playing DoDonPachi well in this shmupmeet.
Dave_K. wrote:I also have a couple new boards: DDP DOJ, ESPGaluda, 19XX and 1944 Loop Master.
Do you have a rapid fire circuit with a 30-Hz firing rate? I might be able to show you guys how to beat 1944: The Loop Master with it.

Also, I have updated the first post with preliminary information about the shmupmeet. But I have other logistical questions about it:
  • At what time will the shmupmeet start?
  • How much will each of us have to pay for pizza?
  • What games will be available for each cabinet and the 36" VGA monitor? (Dave, I see that you've described some of the games that will be available, but the members here might be more interested in a complete list.)
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
DirtyMonk

Post by DirtyMonk »

I'll be able to make it as well.
kage 8

Post by kage 8 »

Gozur wrote:Let me know when and I'll show. Shit it might be the only chance to give Kage 8 the stuff I owe him...
:P
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

BER wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:As mentioned previously I'd like to hold a competition, a DDP Triathlon with all 3 versions (DDP, DDP Bee Storm, DDP DOJ). Details on the competition are still to be worked out.
Actually, I'm more interested in having a competition similar to INH's 4th Insanity Cup, which you can find more information about here:

Basically, the competition is head-to-head battles on collecting the most 5-chips in the first stage of Ketsui.
I'm all for this style of competition as well. In general, I feel an objective to the shmupmeets are necessary to hold interest and motivate people to learn/improve their skills. We could also plan future competitions to allow people to practice (I know I didn't give much notice for this one :D).
BER wrote: Do you have a rapid fire circuit with a 30-Hz firing rate? I might be able to show you guys how to beat 1944: The Loop Master with it.
I'm looking into building a simple rapid fire circuit based the 555 IC Timer chip for 1944 and 19XX since they both do not have autofire settings built in. This circuit may not be tuned for exatly 30hz, but can have a variable adjustment to get the timing as close we want it.
BER wrote: [*]At what time will the shmupmeet start?
[*]How much will each of us have to pay for pizza?
[*]What games will be available for each cabinet and the 36" VGA monitor?
The meet times will be 10am-5pm. At 12:30 I'll collect between $3-$5 from everyone for a little caesars pizza & soda lunch run.

Astro City 2 (before lunch): 1944 The Loop Master + Progear
Astro City 2 (after lunch): Ketsui + 19XX, DDP DOJ + ESPGaluda
Windy 2 (PS2): Raiden III, Mushihemesama, DDP DOJ, ESPGaluda
Windy: DoDonPachi + DoDonPachi Bee Storm
Showtime (PS2): Gigawing Generations, Gradius V, Twinkle Star Sprites
Exceleena: Mame training or DC vertical games
NBA Jam: Smash TV + Total Carnage
36" Monitor: (Open to misc PC or PSX/PS2 games)
shariar07

Post by shariar07 »

i can bring my modded PS2 which plays PS2 and PSX import and USA games.
My brother won't be able to make it he is taking his EIT exam on the 29th. Dave_K what PSX shooters/side-scroller should i bring. I also have a modded Saturn just in case people want to hit it up.
BER

Post by BER »

Dave_K. wrote:
BER wrote:

I'm all for this style of competition as well.
All right, which competition should we do? (Or we can do both.)
Dave_K. wrote:
BER wrote: Do you have a rapid fire circuit with a 30-Hz firing rate? I might be able to show you guys how to beat 1944: The Loop Master with it.
I'm looking into building a simple rapid fire circuit based the 555 IC Timer chip for 1944 and 19XX since they both do not have autofire settings built in. This circuit may not be tuned for exatly 30hz, but can have a variable adjustment to get the timing as close we want it.
Okay, if you decide to build it, let me know when it works. I might play a little bit of 1944 to refresh my memory.

Also, I have updated the first post to include the logistical information that you provided, Dave.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Hey, I know I've been out of the forum scene for a while, but I'm certainly down for the meet. I missed the last one due to unfortunate circumstances, and I really missed out. Plus, I have to throw down a PROPER score on DDPDOJ. I'm bringing my own controller this time. So yeah, count me in.

As for the competition, I've always liked the way that Malc did it. You simply turn on all the machines, reset the scores to zero and have a marathon session. At the end of the day, all scores are tallied up and a winner is declared. It's much easier than the "two tries and you're out" format of most gaming tournaments I've been to.

Whatever the plan of action, I'll be there.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
akuma001

Re: 3rd California shmupmeet in San Jose on Sat., Oct. 29, 2

Post by akuma001 »

hey, i'm not great at all at shmups but can i come check it out? i also live in the bay area and would like the opportunity to see how these games should really be played.
Dave_K.

Re: 3rd California shmupmeet in San Jose on Sat., Oct. 29, 2

Post by Dave_K. »

akuma001 wrote:hey, i'm not great at all at shmups but can i come check it out? i also live in the bay area and would like the opportunity to see how these games should really be played.
PM sent.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

BER, we can do both competitions (or more) :D. And as always, thanks for keeping the thread up to date!

8 1/2, glad you can make it this time! Not a bad idea either for the competition (although I'd like to see something a little more focused - again so people can practice and learn specific games) but I think I'll do this and record the highscores before switching any games or turning off. All top scores will then be posted to this thread after the meet.
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

aahhh crap!

that weekend is my GF's birthday, and I reckon my hand will still be screwed up anyhoo... :(
DirtyMonk

Post by DirtyMonk »

Dave_K. wrote:

Astro City 2 (before lunch): 1944 The Loop Master + Progear
Astro City 2 (after lunch): Ketsui + 19XX, DDP DOJ + ESPGaluda
Windy 2 (PS2): Raiden III, Mushihemesama, DDP DOJ, ESPGaluda
Windy: DoDonPachi + DoDonPachi Bee Storm
Showtime (PS2): Gigawing Generations, Gradius V, Twinkle Star Sprites
Exceleena: Mame training or DC vertical games
NBA Jam: Smash TV + Total Carnage
36" Monitor: (Open to misc PC or PSX/PS2 games)

Agh, no Esprade??
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

pixelcorps wrote:aahhh crap!

that weekend is my GF's birthday, and I reckon my hand will still be screwed up anyhoo... :(
Crap indeed, was hoping to get a sneak peak at your project!
DirtyMonk wrote: Agh, no Esprade??
DDP2 will be replacing Esprade on the Windy cab. I could bust out these other games if things get boring, but the point of this meet was to focus on a couple games for high scoring/competition.
louisg

Attending

Post by louisg »

Hey, I'm interested in attending the shmupmeet. I actually ran into Dan Anderson at an SFSU ACM lan party, so I'm not sure if we'll carpool or what. Keep me posted! =)

Lou
Humans, think about what you have done
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

My friend Dan Anderson, who was at the first meet, will be attending this meet. I will be giving him a ride, and I plan on getting to Dave's place around the start time, so we are gonna leave SF around 9.

I also plan on staying the whole time(maybe past 5pm if Dave allows it), and squeeze in as much play time as humanly possible. :)

Louis if you have no problem leaving SF early, and staying the whole time, you are welcome to carpool with us.

Pixelcorps - Speedy recovery man. See you at the next meet.
diOdesu

Post by diOdesu »

hi, my name is ray. i dont post often, but i read a lot of the threads to keep updated with shooters. not building a relationship with this forum made me hesitant to inquire about the last bay area shmupmeet, but the pictures totally changed my mind. everyone looked so happy and *sigh* i really want to play. espgaluda is one of the last shooters i played in the arcade which was a year ago in japan! im so deprived. im not very good, so even just watching skilled players would make it an enjoyable event for me.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

PM's have gone out. See everyone on Saturday!
BER

Post by BER »

I'm off to the shmupmeet now! I'm wearing a dark blue shirt and brownish pants.
BIG

Post by BIG »

So how did it go?

I wish I could've gone,but I was a bit too engaged with birthday festivities :lol:

I demand pics!!

B-
louisg

Shmupmeet fallout

Post by louisg »

Pics were taken-- Have they been posted yet?

Louis
Humans, think about what you have done
diOdesu

Post by diOdesu »

thanks again dave_k! i have such a greater appreciation for shooters after trying my hand at new games and being around skilled players. the drive home was extremely long, i saw purple bullets everytime i blinked, and my head hurt for hours after, but it was all worth it.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Thanks guys, another successfull shmupmeet. I think the addition of competitions really added to the fun factor...I saw more people practicing than just credit feeding games with no real goals set.

Thanks to Bernard for organizing the Ketsui Cup, and no surprise he ended up winning it! :) BER posted the results in a seperate thread here:
http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5919

The rules for the DDP Triathlon were quite simple, everyone plays each game (DDP/DDP2/DDPDOJ) only once, and their combined score is then ranked. DDP2 proved to be the wildcard or equalizing factor for people less skilled in DDP/DDPDOJ as you could easily rack up to 10x of your other scores. The top three places were:

#1 IlMrm with 176,293,370
#2 DirtyMonk with 170,975,980
#3 Shariar07 with 121,025,650

Here is a shot of the DDP Triathlon in progress. Thats Shariar07 on DDP2 (left) and louisg on DDP DOJ (middle). I believe Dan (not shown) was on DDP far right.

An older picture of the trifecta...

Before lunch I had a side by side comparison of DDP DOJ Playstation2 port and the real PCB, and as you can see in the pic below, the port is pixel perfect. The speed/response also felt identical. Can you tell which is which? :) Although not pictured, the ESPGaluda port is also identical to the PCB. Bottom line is Arika did a phenominal job porting these two Cave games, to the point where its not even practical to buy the PCBs since the ports give you so many extra options at a fraction of the cost.

Finally, I remembered to take the group shot, altough Gozer and Kage 8 were bent on credit feeding SmashTV to the end, so they are not present. From left to right we have: Phu, BER, diOdesu, loiusg, IlMrm, DirtyMonk, Dan, Shariar07 and me.

And here are Kage 8 and Gozer playing SmashTV:

Lastly, one more pic of BER playing Gradius V on the showtime cab:

I tried to capture a video of the final Ketsui Cup run between BER and diOdesu but my digital camera must have had the setting on ultra small as you can't really make anything out. :( Next time I'll take it at the max resolution my memory card can hold.
DirtyMonk

Post by DirtyMonk »

Thank you, once again, Dave, for another awesome meet. I've never seen DOJ and Galuda looking so beautiful in their native arcade displays.

Maybe for the next meet, we should make note of the highest score for each game and aim to beat that particular champion during the next meet. The tournaments should definitely continue, since that made things more interesting. I think next time, announcing the game of choice as early as possible would be a great idea, because that would allow us more time to prepare for the competition.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

A big thanks to Dave for hosting the meet.

Serious shmup discussion going on.

Phu and Kage 8 at Ikaruga.

DeusFNL

Post by DeusFNL »

Damn, wish I could have gone :cry:
But alas, it's too far a drive for me considering I have to study (Damn Chemistry, I swear I spend more time studying for it than I do for my other classes combined).
Oh well, hopefully there'll be one in LA sometime again, like at Big's or something (wink, wink, haha, jk man).
kage 8

Post by kage 8 »

Thank you for hosting Dave, was a blast.... :P