The future of SF Bay Area shmupmeets

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
gs68

The future of SF Bay Area shmupmeets

Post by gs68 »

So who's gonna be hosting Bay Area shmupmeets from now on? Gamecenter is closing down next month and Dave K. can't really host them anymore since he has a child now.
Dave_K.

Re: The future of SF Bay Area shmupmeets

Post by Dave_K. »

I herd both Gamecenter Arcade and Starbase Arcade (in San Rafel) are both closing in August. :x The only good news is High Scores Arcade opened up recently in Alameda.

Wish I had better news, but besides having a baby, and my wife working weekends (which means I take care of the baby most of the weekend), we recently sold our townhome, so my arcade is no more. We're currently living out of a 1 bedroom apartment while we search for our next home.

As for a next shmupmeet, we should definitely try to have one at GameCenter Arcade before they close this month. Barring that, Alamone has an up and coming setup, and ran the last shmupmeet quite successfully.
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

My place......................someday. I actually have proper seating coming in about 4-6 weeks, that's a step in the right direction anyway. I just don't know how to accommodate a large group in a one-bed apartment. This might be more realistic in about 4 years.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Still unpacking from a move (different unit same complex) but once everything is setup I hope to hold some more meets in the future.
2 cabs, 5-6 superguns, 2 console setups.

The Namco cab is in need of some repairs as well (the bolts holding the cpanel on one side were sheared off, which is why the cpanel
tended to tilt to one side - I'm thinking of epoxying them together for the time being).
totoroslayer

Post by totoroslayer »

So all my cabs are not magically disappearing. :) They'll be around in storage for a while, and in that time, I'm seeing what I can do to still be able to have people over and playing them once in a while. It would be much less formal, for certain. But yes, before GC proper is gone, let's have one more party!

-Myung
papa_november

Post by papa_november »

I'm down for that!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Sad to hear that Game Center Arcade & Starbase Arcade are both shutting down. It'd be cool to have another shmupmeet sometime this year.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

Dave_K. wrote:Wish I had better news, but besides having a baby, and my wife working weekends (which means I take care of the baby most of the weekend), we recently sold our townhome, so my arcade is no more. We're currently living out of a 1 bedroom apartment while we search for our next home.
Marriage AND Children? Dave K, why would you do such a thing :shock: :cry:
You do realize your fiscal, familial, and social bonds are much stronger with SHMUP GAMERS, right?

...where are the cabs?
I design retro gaming add-ons and repair old consoles :)
My Website: Segasonicfan Designs http://www.segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro