Norcal / San Jose mini-meet Apr. 27-28

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
alamone

Norcal / San Jose mini-meet Apr. 27-28

Post by alamone »

What: Tentative thread for Norcal mini-meet
Where: My tiny apartment in Norcal / San Jose (estimated capacity ~12 people)
When: April 27 (Sat) noon ~ April 28 (Sun) 10PM
How: Please post in thread to express interest!

Setups (all rotateable except the LCD TV, all open to requests to swap games - see PCB list below):
1x Taito Egret II (horizontal) [Seimitsu LS-58 w/ octogate] - Gradius 2
1x Namco Exceleena (vertical) [Seimitsu LS-58 w/ octogate] - SDOJ
1x JVS Supergun with 23" Mitsubishi RDT234WX LCD [Sanwa JLF] - Gradius 4 (24KHz) / Naomi (31 KHz) (wired for Stereo!)
1x JAMMA Supergun with 20" NEC FP2141SB CRT & XRGB-2 [Sanwa JLF] - Lifeforce (wired for Stereo!)
1x JAMMA Supergun with 20" Sony PVM-20M2MDU [Seimitsu LS-58 w/ octogate] - Nemesis
1x JAMMA Supergun with 22" Dell LCD & XRGB-2+ [Seimitsu LS-32] - Darius Gaiden / Rayforce / G Darius ver. 2 (wired for Stereo!)
1x 360 (JP) with 27" Catleap LCD [Seimitsu LS-58 w/ octogate] - Eschatos / Cave Collection / other 360 shooters
1x Genesis or other retro console (NES/SNES/PCE/DC/SAT/PS2) with 27" ASUS LCD & XRGB-2 [Micomsoft XE-1 ST2]
1x 360 (US)/PS3/WiiU/Wii(JP) with 37" LCD TV & XRGB-mini [HRAP VLX or Wiimotes with Classic Controllers] - Twinkle Star Sprites / Valkyrie no Densetsu

Tentative Attendee list and items to bring:
1-3. Friends from Socal
4. DaveK - extra stool
5. BernD +1 guest
6. papa_n - X68000
7. louisg +1 guest
8. kiselgof - refreshments
9. NOAH
10. blackoak
11. antron
12. kyosuke (tentative)
13. battlesmurf (tentative)

PCB list:
http://t.co/bsiKPyml

Maintenance is done on the cabs!

Egret II with Gradius II:

Namco Exceleena with SDOJ:

Supergun setups are ready!
Last edited by alamone on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:36 am, edited 23 times in total.
papa_november

Re: Norcal / San Jose mini-meet Apr. 27-28

Post by papa_november »

Sounds like fun!
BER

Post by BER »

Indeed! I'll try to make it. Either day is fine (or both!).

I'm particularly interested in the Qute shmups if you have them or if anyone's bringing them.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
alamone

Post by alamone »

Hey guys,

At the moment, I only have Eschatos - if you want to try Ginga Force someone needs to bring it.
Right now I'm working on fixing up the Exceleena CP to a 2L12B.
Also, once my spare chassis comes in, perhaps reattempting to recap the Egret II.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I'm down for Sunday (28th).
papa_november wrote:Sounds like fun!
Bring your bartop cab! Did you fix the monitor on it?
papa_november

Post by papa_november »

Dave_K. wrote:I'm down for Sunday (28th).
papa_november wrote:Sounds like fun!
Bring your bartop cab! Did you fix the monitor on it?
Sadly I haven't touched it ever since. I've never done a cap kit on a CRT monitor before and I need to set aside quite a bit of time and space to do it safely.

I could bring it anyway, but it'll probably be no different than last time. Maybe we can see how hilariously it mangles Batrider?

I've been working on the usual Commodore/Atari/PC-98 stuff instead (and the PC-98 still isn't ready yet, I'm still experimenting with SSDs and waiting on parts).
louisg

Post by louisg »

Let's do it!
Humans, think about what you have done
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

Possibly. I'm actually off that weekend. I'll have to see how money is at the end of the month, it takes me 5 gallons or so to get to the South Bay and back.
Kiselgof

Post by Kiselgof »

I'd be down for that weekend. Dave, you bringing the baby? :)

I'll check with louisg on carpooling possibly, depending on when you guys dial in the final date/time.
alamone

Post by alamone »

papa_n: Would be interested in retro computer stuff too if you have something ready to go then!
If you have the cap kit for the monitor already, you might be able to do it at my place, I recently got a vise-grip PCB holder
and I have the Hakko desoldering gun for easy cap removal.

Kiselgof and louisg: Come down anytime, I do like to sleep in on Friday but tentatively I'm open to all weekend, Sat noon - Sun around 8-10pm.
Will be doing Sunday for sure since that's the only day DaveK can make it. The baby will be with the in-laws -besides, it'll probably be too loud at the meet!

NOAH - Would love to see you at the meet - maybe you can arrange some trades/sales at the meet if you're short on gas money?
This also applies to anyone else; feel free to post your lists and bring PCBs / stuff to sell and trade.

Also, open to suggestions on what to do regarding food and drink etc.
Tentative idea is to order deep dish pizza from Patxi's, but open to other ideas.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

+1 for Patxi's!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Them burgers from both Peggy Sue's joints in downtown San Jose are delicious as well. And their freshly made chocolate milk shakes are legendary...served with a whopping dallop of whipped cream & a single cherry on top. Well worth the $4.25 asking indeed. Mmmm...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

I'm thinking I may be able to pull off one of the two days, doubtful I'd be able to afford two trips. I can't think of anything I have for sale that anyone would be interested in.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I should be able to make it for Sunday, at least for the afternoon. Excited to play SDOJ again! (and die at the st4 midboss)
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
antron

Post by antron »

count me in
alamone

Post by alamone »

The PVM and the extra LCD arrived - unfortunately the seller barely just put a few wraps of bubble wrap on the PVM and the case is pretty badly damaged,
luckily the monitor still works fine and the picture looks very good without any burn-in. So there will be 8 setups in total, once everything is arranged.
Still some open slots left, please post to RSVP! Also, if anyone has some extra folding chairs or stools they can bring, please chime in. Thanks
BER

Post by BER »

With all these setups, will the electricity blow out?
alamone

Post by alamone »

I did some load-testing with everything on and both ACs going - no circuit broke so we should be good to go!
Also, if everyone can bring drinks / snacks / etc that would be great - I have some Mexican coke already.

Invites have been PMed to everyone. Please post in the thread if you did not receive one.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

This is shaping up nicely! I could bring some of my ikea plastic stools on Sunday, just let me know how many.
papa_november

Post by papa_november »

alamone wrote:papa_n: Would be interested in retro computer stuff too if you have something ready to go then!
If you have the cap kit for the monitor already, you might be able to do it at my place, I recently got a vise-grip PCB holder
and I have the Hakko desoldering gun for easy cap removal.
Do you have any tools for discharging tubes/big caps?

At any rate, I might just bring the X68000 again since a new game got dumped for it recently.

If I bring the X68000, do you have any VGA-capable CRT monitors for me to plug it into? Or barring that, a Framemeister?
alamone

Post by alamone »

papa_november wrote:Do you have any tools for discharging tubes/big caps?

At any rate, I might just bring the X68000 again since a new game got dumped for it recently.

If I bring the X68000, do you have any VGA-capable CRT monitors for me to plug it into? Or barring that, a Framemeister?
If you mean "screwdriver connected to an alligator clip", then yeah I have one,
I used it to discharge the tubes on my cabs (although I didn't hear any pops so maybe they were already discharged).

I got plenty of VGA capable monitors and I also have a XRGB-mini, so bring the X68000!
alamone

Post by alamone »

Just as a update, all the setups are up and running except the retro console station (waiting for my friends from Socal to bring my spare LCD).
There's also an area dedicated to soldering and repair that can be used for the monitor recapping business.

I've added a 10 mhz overclock to the Genesis as well - played through 1 stage of TF4 without issue but would like to test it a bit more during the meet.
As a clarification, it seems that most people are coming in on Sunday but my friends from Socal can only make it for Saturday, so in the end I will be doing both days
and all of you are welcome to come one or both days. As far as food goes, I'm thinking of doing a Chick Fila run on Saturday, and Patxis delivery on Sunday.

See you at the meet!
papa_november

Post by papa_november »

I should be able to make it, I almost thought I wouldn't but fortunes improved at the last minute.

I'll definitely try to bring my X68000, though I'll probably be kind of late. Not so sure about the mini cabinet though.
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

About a 40% chance of appearing tomorrow.
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

Does anybody want me to bring any Recca reproduction NES carts/boxes/manuals with me? (Don't worry, I got permission from Al first).

What time are you guys starting up on Sun?
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
shariar07

Post by shariar07 »

Do you have room for 2 people (me and my bro) for Sunday? I can bring an Xbox 360 will all current shmups and Jamestown and couple of PC Dojin shmups. I can also bring snacks, let me know. I'm also a friend of Dave_K.
alamone

Post by alamone »

shariar07 wrote:Do you have room for 2 people (me and my bro) for Sunday? I can bring an Xbox 360 will all current shmups and Jamestown and couple of PC Dojin shmups. I can also bring snacks, let me know. I'm also a friend of Dave_K.
We have quite a few tentative people that may or may not make it, so I think we can squeeze you in.
I think we're already good for setups, actually there's not really much room for anything else.
Battlesmurf wrote:What time are you guys starting up on Sun?
We'll be starting around noon, and going till 8~10pm.
BER

Post by BER »

Oops, woke up late and had to wait for my Dad to finish fixing up a bathroom. I'll be there in ~20 minutes.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I'll be there closer to 3, but my evening plans have changed so I can now hang for the duration. :)
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Dang, I wish I could be there hanging out with you alamone.

--F