Successful Shmupmeet at the House of Chop!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Emuser

Successful Shmupmeet at the House of Chop!

Post by Emuser »

This is a shout out to one of the most awesome shmup fanatics I've had the honor of meeting in person and getting to toy around with his many arcade boards and cabinet setups. Yesterday I drove out to meet Assan Chop, someone people may or may not have met here on the forums, he has been around for at least a few months. He hosted an awesome tournament featuring Aero Fighters 1 and 2 on PCBs, and Under Defeat HD on PS3.

I showed up as one of the 1st people there, and unfortunately people didn't start to show up until shortly before the tournament was going to start, but at least me and Assan screwed around in Muchi Pork, Pink Sweets, Otomedius, and Aero Fighters alongside many shmup conversations to pass the time easily.

People finally showed up and we got the ball rolling, Assan ordered pizza for everyone and we all had a great time. I also saw a supergun for the first time ever and instantly nerdgasm'd at the idea of what it is capable of doing. Shannon playing Aero Fighters 2 was a great start to the whole thing with some hilarious Spanky/Whitey conversations that made us all laugh hysterically. (Fry me over the jungre! FUK U DOLFEEEEEEN). We all got 3 attempts on each game, which took a few hours to get everyones runs done.

I managed to wing AF1 enough to get a 1st place that could've been usurped from me if Raven hadn't screwed up in one spot. AF2 was pretty close between me, Sam, and Raven I believe for a while, but I finally got the run I was looking for and sped ahead of everyone. Sam really gave me some good laughs from this point on (K everyone go home just give this guy 1st lol). Once everyone was done with those 2 games we moved on to Under Defeat HD, and every single person playing had no advantage over another with prior experience or whatnot. We slowly pieced together bits and pieces with each run, and I managed to come out on top on my 3rd run here.

We couldn't come to a conclusion as to how to raffle away a copy of Under Defeat HD after this either, so instead we made up a single elim puzzle fighter bracket which ended with me going 1-2 vs Sam in a round Robin. Where I possibly frustrated him with my shmup runs throughout the day, he finally got me back here, and it hurts a little cause I REALLY wanna play Under Defeat HD again.

The whole day was a pretty big success overall I would say especially for a first time that Chop hosted anything like this. It's a shame that 2 of his arcade cabinets weren't grounded properly since they were moved to his place and that he were down a couple super guns than we were hoping for. But all in all, I had an epic blast and could barely contain my excitement. I can't wait for the next time Chop plans to host another meet. If anyone is in Texas and close to Houston, Spring, or Austin, you have got to come out and attend one of these in the future if you can.
AssanCHOP

Re: Successful Shmupmeet at the House of Chop!

Post by AssanCHOP »

This was the most fun I've had since EVO in Vegas...

Scheduled my next Shmupfest for January 5th...

Send me a friend request on FaceBook, username: Assan Chop
Also, join my Texas Shmup Fans page as well!