MAGFEST 2013 (Jan 3-6)

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Kiken

MAGFEST 2013 (Jan 3-6)

Post by Kiken »

So... Magfest is coming.

Not a shmupmeet per se, however, there is normally a good selection of shmups to play down in the gaming hall. So who else is planning to attend? Minzoku and I will be there for the entire weekend this time (unlike last time where we only spent a day there).
trap15

Re: MAGFEST 2013 (Jan 3-6)

Post by trap15 »

Definitely considering going. Not sure how much free money I'll have by that time then, so that could be an issue. I should probably know all that next month though, so I'll post here when I find out :)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
majors

Post by majors »

Strider77 is flying, so he can only bring 2-3 Cave boards this year. I have a few; Ikaruga, Mars Matrix, Raiden Fighters, Viper, Sexy Parodius and Thunder Force AC. I plan to borrow some more 90's shmups from a local collector to bring to MAG to help fill the line-up. Wedoca added a Blast City and a 2nd Naomi Uni to our candy coalition since last year.

The other cab people that donate their cabs do not focus on shmups unless you wanted Galaga and Gorf.
Wedoca '24
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

I'll be going, but does the current situation mean the shmup selection will be slightly weaker than that of last year's?
majors

Post by majors »

SFKhoa wrote:I'll be going, but does the current situation mean the shmup selection will be slightly weaker than that of last year's?
Since Strider77 has most of the Cave PCB's, I'd would have to say, yes. He can only bring 3 boards tops this year. I bring 15 cabs with 2-3 boards per cab but MAG will have over 200 other cabinets. We will prolly have a 360 in a fixed freq(31Hz) running Akai and DS. I have a few shooters for Neo: Blazing, Pulstar, Strikers and Last Resort...but those are not the same as the line-up we had last year. As I said earlier, I will be sourcing a few more games from astrodan88.

Now if some folks out there in shmup-land want to donate a board or two, we can work something out.
Wedoca '24
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Looks like I'm going to manage to make it here this year. I could maybe bring a board, though I don't have anything real rare or anything though.
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

I'll be missing magfest, but attending the SDA event in the same area, arriving on the 7th, if anyone will still be around.
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
gs68

Post by gs68 »

I would love to go, especially since Yuzo Koshiro is a special guest, but alas, broke-ness is a cruel mistress. Perhaps next year.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Yeah, I'm not going to be able to make it; lots of stuff going on for me around then.

Next year may happen though.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

I'm going. Does Strider77 have SDOJ? If he brings that, then my trip becomes worthwhile. :)
Davey

Post by Davey »

I'm strongly considering going. I've wanted to go the past couple years but plans fell through in the end.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Well, if anyone is on the fence about going, Ellert and I (plus 2 other friends) have a room already booked and we don't mind sharing with a other people. It would make the price a lot cheaper for all of us. PM me or EllertMichael if you guys are interested at all.
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

ratikal wrote:Well, if anyone is on the fence about going, Ellert and I (plus 2 other friends) have a room already booked and we don't mind sharing with a other people. It would make the price a lot cheaper for all of us. PM me or EllertMichael if you guys are interested at all.
Yes!! the more the merrier (and cheaper!) :wink:
trap15

Post by trap15 »

ratikal wrote:Well, if anyone is on the fence about going, Ellert and I (plus 2 other friends) have a room already booked and we don't mind sharing with a other people. It would make the price a lot cheaper for all of us. PM me or EllertMichael if you guys are interested at all.
Don't make me have to reconsider.
majors

Post by majors »

ratikal wrote:Does Strider77 have SDOJ?
Strider77 does not have SDOJ. This year will be more focused on fighters (unless some of you want to donate some boards?)
Wedoca '24
Davey

Post by Davey »

Got the days off work and all the logistics worked out. I'll be there!
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

majors wrote:
ratikal wrote:Does Strider77 have SDOJ?
Strider77 does not have SDOJ. This year will be more focused on fighters (unless some of you want to donate some boards?)
Oh crap really? I thought I saw it being played in one of your events?
majors

Post by majors »

ratikal wrote: Oh crap really? I thought I saw it [SDOJ] being played in one of your events?
Strider77 may have sold it, if he ever had it at all (all the DoDon's look the same to me!). We had StarCreators' 360 running on the Megalo last year, he might have had DFK running?
Wedoca '24
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

majors wrote:This year will be more focused on fighters
Last edited by EllertMichael on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
majors

Post by majors »

I know, sad panda for all the shmup fans. It's the simple fact that I only own a handful of arcade shooters.

My small collection: 1944: The Loop Master, Blazing Star, Ikaruga, Last Resort, Mars Matrix, Pulstar, Raiden Fighters, Sexy Parodius, Strikers 1945 Plus, Thunder Force AC, Viper Phase 1

Renegade is donating some of his boards, and they are pretty much all Capcom fighters.

*edit: add to list of boards.
Last edited by majors on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wedoca '24
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Well, I do own PCBs of Pink Sweets and ESPGaluda II, as well as several MVS carts (Pulstar, Blazing Star, Strikers 1945 +, Zed Blade and Prehistoric Isle 2). If selection is an issue, let me know and I can bring some of my stuff.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

You have my axe^H^H^H 360 again if you need it.

Though I have to ask if Saturn Bomberman will be making an appearance this year. It's been over a year and a half since I last laid eyes on it!
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

I was threatening to bring Ibara and Outzone PCBs, how does the donation at this place work anyway?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Last year I just showed up Wednesday night, helped set up a little, and left my 360 in Strider77 and majors' care. PCBs would probably be about the same. I think Strider77 usually kept his PCBs either in the cabs themselves or in his hotel room, and switched games at will. I imagine either he or majors will be the ones with the keys.
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

Gwyrgyn Blood wrote:Outzone PCB
Yes, please!!! :D
majors

Post by majors »

Kiken has offered Pink Sweets, ESPGaluda II, Zed Blade and Prehistoric Isle 2. We will have at least two Neo single slots on my care. I only have 3 "good" cabs that I can rotate for shmups. One is reserved for Strider and I've set another for Kiken. I have backup boards in case ppl are late or can't bring goodies. Here is my tentitive plan of what we are running:

Versus City #1 - CvS2 or MVS fighter (WIP Sega I/O issue, hope to have corrected by MAG)
Versus City #2 - Alpha 3
Naomi Uni. #1 - Ikaruga (dedicated)
Naomi Uni. #2 - Magical Drop 3, Puzzle Bobble <- has GBS 8200 encoder
Impress - Sexy Parodius, Tokimeki Puzzle <-rotate and run Kikens' PCB's
Megalo - Xbox 360 with shmups <- missing -001 harness :(
Blast City - SS5sp, SS2, Ninja Master's <-option for shmups
Astro City - shumps TBA <- Strider77 PCB's

Woody (Capcom) - Super Turbo
Woody (Viper) - Viper Phase 1, Raiden Fighters
Woody (Rainbow) - SF2 Rainbow/blackbelt (Dedicated)
Woody (Tatio) - Gals Panic S, Side Arms, Final Fight <- can be rotated with ease
Woody (Double Dragon) Double Dragon, Ninja Gaiden <- can also be rotated, but has leaf switches

There are going to be 200+ more cabs but I cannot speak for their owners. Most of the other ppl that bring cabs are touchy or have dedicated wood. We arrive Wednesday for setup. I'll have all the cabs up and running with something on Thursday at open. If folks want to meet up with me during the day, we can discuss our options. Better to get up with me BEFORE dark...'cause as some of you know, I like to get that beer in me!
Wedoca '24
majors

Post by majors »

StarCreator wrote:You have my axe^H^H^H 360 again if you need it.

Though I have to ask if Saturn Bomberman will be making an appearance this year. It's been over a year and a half since I last laid eyes on it!
I have two US 360's that I plan to bring. Never know when it'll die, so you can pack up your JP 360 as back up if it's easy. Plus, we have a few more options for games.

I have nothing to do with Saturn (Hi-ten) B-man in the console area at MAGFest You know I rock the shit out of it at Animazement!
StarCreator wrote:I think Strider77 usually kept his PCBs either in the cabs themselves or in his hotel room, and switched games at will. I imagine either he or majors will be the ones with the keys.
Pretty much. All the candy locks up, most of the woodys are secure. Hotel room was a hike last year, so we had the main arcade HQ stash our extra boards behind the tables.
Wedoca '24
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

I won't be able to make it until Thursday night. I can probably drop off the PCBs with StarCreator and he can haul them in, if that's cool.
Davey

Post by Davey »

majors wrote:Naomi Uni. #2 - Magical Drop 3
I love this game, it's such a rush. I yearn for some competition!
majors

Post by majors »

Gwyrgyn Blood wrote:I won't be able to make it until Thursday night. I can probably drop off the PCBs with StarCreator and he can haul them in, if that's cool.
No prob there. Makes it even easier since I know StarCreator. Let him know of any caveats of the boards, like no free play or finicky power.
Wedoca '24