SF Bay Area Shmupmeet: June 3rd, 2012

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
NOAH

Re: SF Bay Area Shmupmeet: June 3rd, 2012

Post by NOAH »

papa_november wrote: Should I bring my tabletop arcade cabinet instead and give you guys one more vertical JAMMA cab to work with? It's tiny, supports only one player and has only three buttons, but it does work and I have two games fully working in it (Contra and Time Pilot 84).
Hell yeah, bring that sh*t! Not that it's my decision or anything.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

+1 on the bringing the tabletop. Sound very cool!
cpcbautista

Post by cpcbautista »

This is sounding awesome. Too bad I work at 2 this Sunday. I'll try to swing by if I can before.
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

I somehow miraculously dodged my assignment at work this Sunday! Count me in!!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Exellent news Noah!

I just sent out a reminder PM to everyone who posted in this thread with more details.

Looking forward to see you all tomorrow!
BER

Post by BER »

Yep, I plan to arrive at noon.

Will anyone be streaming this 'meet online?
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

Does anyone going to this meet tomorrow have an EPROM burner and a 27512 ERPROM? My 785_p06 rom just went bad while playing my Gradius II board tonight. My buddy's burner was left at work so I won't be able to bring my board unless someone can bring that to the meet. Of course I'd pay for the ERPOM.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

BER wrote:Yep, I plan to arrive at noon.
You may want to plan on arriving sometime after noon, as I'll only be getting there at 12, and will take at least 30 minutes to setup a few of the machines.
BER wrote:Will anyone be streaming this 'meet online?
Aru-San said he may try.
NOAH wrote:Does anyone going to this meet tomorrow have an EPROM burner and a 27512 ERPROM?
Sorry to hear that Noah. I have a burner, but no eprom, and wasn't planning on brining my PC (required to run the burner). I'd say we can live without Gradius II for the time being...we have so many other good games this meet. :)

Speaking of which, the postman delivered Mushi HD in the nick of time, and the 1.5 Matsuri version is looking pretty damn sweet on the HD cab. 8)

BER

Post by BER »

Dave_K. wrote:
BER wrote:Yep, I plan to arrive at noon.
You may want to plan on arriving sometime after noon, as I'll only be getting there at 12, and will take at least 30 minutes to setup a few of the machines.
Haha, that's fine. I can help with the screen setups for the console games (like I did with Akai Katana for the Xbox 360 last time), or if nothing else, I can stare at my game strategy plans and acclimate myself to the game environment.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

papa_november wrote:So I was originally thinking of bringing my newly-acquired PC-98 and setting it up with Flame Zapper, the Touhous and whatever else I could manage to install on the thing that was playable in English and/or worksafe.
lol PC98 toohoos

Which is funny because I'll be sporting my Aya shirt that I snagged at Fanime last week.
BER

Post by BER »

Oops, spent a bit too much time warming up with Mushihimesama. I'm heading over there now.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

I'm going to have skip today unfortunately as I wound up being busy today, but I should be able to come over next time!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

This latest shmupmeet with a special appearance of both Cave SH-3 powered DDP-SDOJ & Akai Katana for the first time ever made it even sweeter. Thanks to shmupper kyuzo for bringing them. It was a pleasure to try them out properly. Looked great running on an Astro City cab then later on, it was placed inside an Egret II candy cab with an enhanced 2.1 sound system with a subwoofer inside for greater audio fidelity.

Just watching shmupper BER do his magic with bullet herding on the DDP-SDOJ PCB was quite jaw-dropping.

Got to play the 360 port of DDP-DFK BL on a Red Storm candy cab setup and it was cool to see being displayed on a high-res monitor setup, albeit a widescreen one indeed.

Saw the 360 port of Mushi HD up & running on a Red Storm candy cab and it looked awesome.

A dimunitive vertical orientated bartop setup was brought in and sported a Konami Time Pilot '84 PCB up & running. Very cool to see this particular old-school arcade shmup title today. I used to play it at the Modesto, CA based Tilt! arcade back in 1984-1985 -- so I was already quite familiar with it.

Thanks again to Myung and Dave K. for hosting a very cool & memorable shmupmeet today.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
mdl

Post by mdl »

Sounds like a pretty great meet--shame it wasn't a bit later in the month, or I could have made it (coming back to the US to tie up some loose ends and sell a bunch of crap before I return to Tokyo with work visa in hand).

Hope to see you all again eventually, or if any of you ever come here, at a Tokyo meet!
TenshiP

Post by TenshiP »

Once again, thanks for organizing this shmupmeet, it was quite a blast :D.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Thanks very much to Dave_K and Myung for organizing and hosting this meet! I really wish there was something like Gamecenter in the east bay, or that I lived closer... I'd definitely come more often.

Thanks to kyuzo too for bringing SDOJ! I had a great time talking shmups with you. As for SDOJ, I got a handful of credits in on it, couldn't quite make it to the stage 4 boss. I thought it was a great game though and am slightly regretful of not buying it when it came out.

Also, thank you to whoever brought Ibara Kuro. I had never played that, and really enjoyed it.

Next time, I really need to be more friendly and introduce myself more/remember names. I was the bald guy with the space cat shirt, btw.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
PC Engine Fan X!

It was none other than shmupper kyuzo whom brought all three arcade PCBs of SDOJ, Akai Katana & Ibara Kuro. Quite an epic shmupmeet to make their debut there yesterday.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
300wins

Post by 300wins »

Sounds like it was a fun meet. Too bad I missed it due to an emergency with my daughter.
Hopefully I can make the next one.
papa_november

Post by papa_november »

Here, have some pics of the itty bitty cab IN ACTION:

ImageImageImage

Fun facts: the monitor needs a cap kit and serious adjustment, because it's got some pretty bad streaking that renders DDP almost unplayable. The control panel needs to be completely replaced with something from this century and a ton of other work needs to be done, but it plays games and fits in my house so it's good enough for now!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

That table top cab was awesome! Thanks for bringing it!

So many other people to thank for making this an awesome meet!
- Kyuzo for bringing Akai Katana, SDOJ, and Ibara BL!
- louisg for showing off his overclocked genesis
- Noah for bringing Nemesis!
- Antron for bringing his PSX Jamma* and extra 360 cables so we could get two HD cabs running Cave shmups
- PCEFX! for making the long haul out to San Mateo and bringing DFK 1.5 PCB* and Technomori Shooting *
- blackoak for bringing Dragon Saber*
- toroslayer (Myung) for hosting us at Gamecenter!

*Sorry we didn't get to hook up a bunch of stuff, it was a pretty busy meet and people were just hooked on those Cave games and the HD cabs. 8)

I tweeted a few pics under #shmupmeet throughout the day. Not sure if anyone else took pics.
BER

Post by BER »

Nice to see everyone again!

Dave and Myung, thanks for organizing this 'meet once again. I had a fun time. I think I'll return every Friday to resolve my beef with DFK's tsuujou loop...hehehe...

kyuzo, thanks for bringing out SDOJ. The game was quite harder than it looked, and I was left yearning for some dedicated time to iron out all those patterns that I was too scared to dodge.
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

Major thanks to Myung and Dave for hosting this meet and thanks to all that showed up to make it a success. Hopefully all you other bay area folk can make it down to Game Center in San Mateo at some point and support a small business that presents and cares about the same stuff that you do.

Huge thanks to papa november for bringing the tabletop cab. Awesome contrast to the new HD cabs that were on display. Speaking of contrast, the overdriven brightness/contrast on the tabletop resulted in an interesting experience that papa november dubbed "DoDonPachi Blind Label".

I can't forget thanks to Raul for bringing 3 boards that I may never get to play again, even if I did get absolutely murdered by SDOJ.
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Bumping this since I'm in SF.

Are there any shmups at gamecenter?
Not sure if I want to go there or not....
lol
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

You may want to PM blackoak if you are around this weekend.

I think Ibara Kuro is still at gamecenter. You can call Myung there and ask.
rivals

Post by rivals »

Old bump, but yeah lately he's had Ibara Kuro running most of the time and I think that's about it. He probably has more laying around still that he'd be willing to toss in on request though.
wataru330

Post by wataru330 »

Bump for gauging interest in doing this again.

I've already put a bug in Myung's ear about it recently. ^_^

When it goes down, I'm happy to bring a J360, some 360 games, and a few boards (Viper Phase 1, Macross, & G•Darius).
PC Engine Fan X!

A SLG (Scan Line Generator) for them high-res 360 games on a candy cab is the way to go. I noticed that playing the 360 port of DDP-DFK was just missing the usual "scanlines effect" for that special completeness. I do have a Toodles produced SLG device that could be installed for such J-360 games running on a high-res candy cab if it needed be.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

rivals wrote:Old bump, but yeah lately he's had Ibara Kuro running most of the time and I think that's about it. He probably has more laying around still that he'd be willing to toss in on request though.
Cool, I didn't know this was still up. Any sfbay members want to head down with me sometime next week/weekend and play the daylights out of it? PM me if so...

As for the shmupmeet, I heard Dave can't host this winter. gamecenter sounds good again though! I could probably also host in January if there's interest--my place isn't as big as Dave's, but I've got 5 cabs (3 x e2, 1 x cyberlead, 1 x trisync astro), a pvm2530+supergun, space for more supergun setups, and a nice hd setup for jamestown and the like. I'm in the east bay, near berkeley.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
wataru330

Post by wataru330 »

Not only is it still running; ibara kuro is on FREE PLAY.

I've been to gamecenter twice in the last two weeks, just for this, lol.

I'm in Mountain View, btw. Let's hope totoroslayer posts in here soon!
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Any time after December 18 and not during January 4-6 (Sac-Anime, one of two NorCal cons with shmups in the gaming room) is OK with me.

Something I'd love to see: A doujin shmup cab setup. Though it wouldn't work with my hardware (read: a laptop) :S