SF Bay Area Shmupmeet: June 3rd, 2012

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
NOAH

Re: SF Bay Area Shmupmeet: Date TBD

Post by NOAH »

blackoak wrote:Works for me... day after my birthday too. A few SDOJ credits should be an auspicious start to the year. :D
You should bring your Dragon Saber board. I'm still looking for one myself (it's been half a year now). I've even got the stereo harness for it should it go into a cab with compatible speaker harness (ie Windy or Astro City).
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Sure, I can bring it. I think the board has some minor graphics corruption issues, though. I've only noticed it in two places (fire dragon bosses' head, and a wrong pallette issue on one of the opening attract screens). Hard to imagine that something so tiny is the result of a lifted trace or damaged chip, so I wonder if the board wasn't originally a (imperfect) conversion or something like that.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
totoroslayer

Post by totoroslayer »

So I've got 1 astro already verted. I have an egret 2 that can be easily verted as well. I have 2 nice lcd cabs that can also be verted (and accept JAMMA). I also have an astro in the back that I'm trying to sell (anyone interested? :) ) that could be verted, but is currently horiz. I have another Astro, but the screen is out on that one. I have 2 other Astros, but they are devoted head to head machines, so undoing the wiring would be a pain. Though if someone wanted to bring Change Air Blade, that would make for a sick setup. :)

-Myung
BER

Post by BER »

For the moment, I can be in early for Sunday, June 3rd, and I have one, maybe two, coworkers interested in stopping by. If I somehow get slotted in for work by then, I can still try to stop by for the evening.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
antron

Post by antron »

if we want to keep one hori I can bring a PS1 jamma setup with Gradius Gaiden.
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

antron wrote:if we want to keep one hori I can bring a PS1 jamma setup with Gradius Gaiden.
I can bring Nemesis or Gradius II if we wanna switch mid-way.
papa_november

Re: SF Bay Area Shmupmeet: June 3rd, 2012

Post by papa_november »

I should be able to make it. Dunno what I'll bring yet, though.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

totoroslayer wrote:So I've got 1 astro already verted. I have an egret 2 that can be easily verted as well. I have 2 nice lcd cabs that can also be verted (and accept JAMMA). I also have an astro in the back that I'm trying to sell (anyone interested? :) ) that could be verted, but is currently horiz.
Thanks for the breakdown Myung. I'll update the first post with cabs and potential games people are saying they can bring.
totoroslayer wrote:I have 2 other Astros, but they are devoted head to head machines, so undoing the wiring would be a pain. Though if someone wanted to bring Change Air Blade, that would make for a sick setup. :)
I've got Change Air Blade, but it would require both cabinets be rotated to vertical (something I don't think you are going to want to bother with). We did play a horizontal head to head at our last competition, Macross II. I'll have to think if I have any other hori's that would work.
Last edited by Dave_K. on Mon May 21, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

antron wrote:if we want to keep one hori I can bring a PS1 jamma setup with Gradius Gaiden.
I would love to play this. Also if you can bring your XB360+Jamma, then we can have at least two cabs playing HD shmups).
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Will anyone have Mushihimesama HD in by then? I chose slow shipping, so I don't think my copy will be here in time. Would be nice to play the Matsui version at the shmupmeet.
antron

Post by antron »

Dave_K. wrote:
I would love to play this. Also if you can bring your XB360+Jamma, then we can have at least two cabs playing HD shmups).

I can, but I've gone US-region and sold my J360 (before is RRoD). Also, my 360 hook-up uses my PS1 controller hack, so they are mutually exclusive.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

antron wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:

I can, but I've gone US-region and sold my J360 (before is RRoD). Also, my 360 hook-up uses my PS1 controller hack, so they are mutually exclusive.
I've got a JPN region 360 Slim, so if you bring the necessary cables & Jamma loom antron, it's doable for a second 360 in a high-res cab setup. It's got an external mounted Nyko 360 Slim cooling fan for additional cooling functionality as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
totoroslayer

Post by totoroslayer »

Dave_K. wrote:
totoroslayer wrote:So I've got 1 astro already verted. I have an egret 2 that can be easily verted as well. I have 2 nice lcd cabs that can also be verted (and accept JAMMA). I also have an astro in the back that I'm trying to sell (anyone interested? :) ) that could be verted, but is currently horiz.
Thanks for the breakdown Myung. I'll update the first post with cabs and potential games people are saying they can bring.
totoroslayer wrote:I have 2 other Astros, but they are devoted head to head machines, so undoing the wiring would be a pain. Though if someone wanted to bring Change Air Blade, that would make for a sick setup. :)
I've got Change Air Blade, but it would require both cabinets be rotated to vertical (something I don't think you are going to want to bother with). We did play a horizontal head to head at our last competition, Macross II. I'll have to think if I have any other hori's that would work.

The two Red Storms I have can be verted easily, head to head wired easily, and if they're going to be verted anyway for other HD games, I say why not? :D
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
I've got a JPN region 360 Slim, so if you bring the necessary cables & Jamma loom antron, it's doable for a second 360 in a high-res cab setup. It's got an external mounted Nyko 360 Slim cooling fan for additional cooling functionality as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I also have a JP 360 (fat), as well as a Dual Mod arcade stick pcb (ps3/360), so we would just need to wire into the buttons. No need to fuss with JAMMA. However, I only have 1 of these boards.
antron

Post by antron »

NOAH wrote:
do you mean PCBs? sounds cool.
totoroslayer wrote: I also have a JP 360 (fat), as well as a Dual Mod arcade stick pcb (ps3/360), so we would just need to wire into the buttons. No need to fuss with JAMMA. However, I only have 1 of these boards.
if that works for you, then I can use my controller hookup for the ps1.
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Looks like I can make it to this!
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

I might be in too, though I need to check if I'm actually free that day.
kyuzo

Post by kyuzo »

I should have my mushi HD by then, so I'll bring that...

Any interest in the AK pcb? I could also bring r-type II or gradius III if anyone's interested in more horis...

It'd be pretty awesome to have a history of DDP set up too, but that'd take up a whole buncha cabs so probably not worth it unless a lot of you would think that's neat too :)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Hell yeah, bring AK! I only mentioned the port since we could play Shin in 16:9 HD on the Red Storm.

There aren't enough cabs for history of DDP. Have to remember this for Winter shmupmeet at my place.
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

antron wrote:
NOAH wrote:
do you mean PCBs? sounds cool.
Yep, PCB's. If that's cool to you I'll bring 'em with me. Still not 100% sure I'll be there, but it seems very probable right now.
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

kyuzo wrote:I
Any interest in the AK pcb? I could also bring r-type II or gradius III if anyone's interested in more horis...
Between the two of us we could complete the entire Gradius and R-Type arcade lineup............that is of course if my R-Type board didn't take a crap this year. I guess I don't have a Salamander II board if you count Salamander/LifeForce as part of the Gradius arcade lineup.
kyuzo

Post by kyuzo »

Dave_K. wrote:Hell yeah, bring AK! I only mentioned the port since we could play Shin in 16:9 HD on the Red Storm.

There aren't enough cabs for history of DDP. Have to remember this for Winter shmupmeet at my place.
Nice, by that time I should have my DOJ back from TonK for completeness too ;)
NOAH wrote:I guess I don't have a Salamander II board if you count Salamander/LifeForce as part of the Gradius arcade lineup.
That's the one Salamander I own actually, haha... :)
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Oh man this meet is looking pretty hype. DoDonPachi DFKBL and SaiDOJ, Gradius Gaiden in a cab, and even Gradius 1.
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

I can probably help out with Challonge for the shmup versus tournament (if there is one). The only problem is that the number display on Challonge is only optimized for one-to-three-digit readings, so big number score tracking in Challonge, while it still works, ends up getting cut off after a certain point, although the print view shows the scores fine as demonstrated in the Macross tourney.

(I'll probably be tethering my cell phone to my laptop for the Challonge tracking.)
[ Wonder Force IV -sorry Frenetic :c- ]
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

gs68 wrote:Oh man this meet is looking pretty hype. DoDonPachi DFKBL and SaiDOJ, Gradius Gaiden in a cab, and even Gradius 1.
Technically it's Nemesis, so don't expect that awesome Konami Bubble hardware sound out of it. It runs on the GX400 hardware instead. Almost the same thing.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Just a reminder, we are still on for this Sunday! I updated the first post with a few more details and will send out PMs on Saturday as a final reminder.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Please take a lot of pictures! Wish I could be there with you guys. Let me know if you guys had any good ways of doing scoring competitions or other helpful info. I'll incorporate it into the SoCal shmupmeet! Let's all be awesome California Dudez!

--F
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I'll definitely make sure to capture some Mini DV footage of this cool DDP-SDOJ PCB...certainly a first for a Dave K. shmupmeet indeed. And with the resulting Mini DV footage, it can be burned to DVD-R format for posterity.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Kiselgof

Post by Kiselgof »

I'll be sure to drop by. Too bad this didn't happen last weekend though.
papa_november

Post by papa_november »

So I was originally thinking of bringing my newly-acquired PC-98 and setting it up with Flame Zapper, the Touhous and whatever else I could manage to install on the thing that was playable in English and/or worksafe. Unfortunately, I haven't started setting it up yet, so I don't think it'll be in booting condition by the time the meet happens. (The HD needs to be reformatted/reinstalled, and as amazing as this is going to sound I do not have a fully tested setup for writing 3-mode disks yet.)

Should I bring my bartop arcade cabinet instead and give you guys one more vertical JAMMA cab to work with? It's tiny (but heavy), supports only one player and has only three buttons, but it does work and I have two games I can run in it (Contra and Time Pilot 84).
Last edited by papa_november on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

Things are suddenly looking bad for me Sunday. My job scheduled me for 6/3 now, I'm trying to pull every trick in the book to get removed from Sunday. I should know for sure by Friday evening. I'm really gonna be pissed if I have to miss this. I've never played a new arcade shooter in my life.