Chicago? Galloping Ghost? or general shmup meet?

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
lordnikon

Chicago? Galloping Ghost? or general shmup meet?

Post by lordnikon »

Hi all,

I figured I would try and meet some local Chicago enthusiasts and meet some new people in the process. I live in chicago, and frequent Galloping Ghost Arcade regularly. They have 1942, 1943, DDP, Ikaruga, Air Buster, and more.

If anyone is interested in hanging out, playing some games at the arcade or elsewhere, feel free to reply. It would be cool to chill, talk games, etc.

-Ben
"Nature is amazing when you're a kid.
You have fish in the rivers and oceans, and wild plants in the mountains.
There's food to be found everywhere.
That's how we enjoyed nature.

But we've lost it all." -Naoto Matsumura
drunkninja24

Re: Chicago? Galloping Ghost? or general shmup meet?

Post by drunkninja24 »

Awww, you just missed a great meet in February in Chicago:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39543

If I were you, I would definitely get in touch with Drboom, he'll be able to hook you up with some serious shmuppin' action :mrgreen: I'm hoping to return to Chicago myself for next year's festivities.
mdsfx

Post by mdsfx »

lordnikon wrote:Hi all,

I figured I would try and meet some local Chicago enthusiasts and meet some new people in the process. I live in chicago, and frequent Galloping Ghost Arcade regularly. They have 1942, 1943, DDP, Ikaruga, Air Buster, and more.

If anyone is interested in hanging out, playing some games at the arcade or elsewhere, feel free to reply. It would be cool to chill, talk games, etc.

-Ben
I play at GG on occasion. Love that place. Last time I was there I had the Ikaruga high score which... is mediocre at best :| And DOJ is set on "very hard" (is that the norm?) and I can only place second with a sad score of 10mil. Anyways, I would be up for a meet
drboom

Post by drboom »

I'm actually thinking of doing a once a month get together as a couple of my friends are now seriously stoked on shmups after the last meet. It'll either be at Logan Hardware or my place, but I'll post some details when I am actually sure. As it is, I'm trying to figure out how to set up my gameroom with four pinball tables and two Astro Citys in like a 20x10 room. :mrgreen:
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

drboom wrote:As it is, I'm trying to figure out how to set up my gameroom with four pinball tables and two Astro Citys in like a 20x10 room. :mrgreen:
Same room as when I was there? :shock:

WOW! Good luck with that! :lol:

You still planning on doing another winter carnival?
drboom

Post by drboom »

Totally! And yeah, its gonna be tight! :wink:

The next Winter Carnival will be at Logan Hardware again, but there will be some surprises in store...more details to come this fall. :mrgreen:
lordnikon

Post by lordnikon »

Hey all, just noticed the replies. Right now I am a bit sidelined since I broke my wrist :/ So soonest I can be available is late summer.

I just figured it would be cool to network, meet some cool people and play some great games. So generally if anyone is looking to meet up and chill, I am game.
"Nature is amazing when you're a kid.
You have fish in the rivers and oceans, and wild plants in the mountains.
There's food to be found everywhere.
That's how we enjoyed nature.

But we've lost it all." -Naoto Matsumura
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Wow never heard of this arcade. I have to check this place out one of these weekends.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
drboom

Post by drboom »

Hey all - stay tuned for a summer meet announcement...
:mrgreen:
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Oh man. My little brother just had a kid a couple days ago so I need to make it out to the east coast this summer, so almost no chance I can make it down for this.

Hopefully the winter carnival will still be happening as well.
drboom

Post by drboom »

Oh yeah - this is a seperate event...for a special reason... 8)

The Winter Carnival will still be in full effect early next year.
Thunderprince

Post by Thunderprince »

I've been planning a pilgrimage out there sometime soon. I would go there mainly for the fighting game comp but of course I would have to try the shmups and stuff.
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

Logan Hardware is the place to be for the Winter Carnival! There is always a good selection of retro cabs, and the shmup community provides the Japanese goods. Then there is always the midnight 6-player Konami X-men play-through...great times...great times...
"When you can say you love shooting games, I get the sense you’re no longer a normal person. (laughs)" - S. Yagawa
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

There's an annual arcade tournament happening at Logan Hardware the weekend of March 22-24 that has a good number of shmups and borderliners in the list this year, including Dodonpachi, Raiden Fighters Jet, and Omega Fighter. It's focused on classic arcade gaming in general, but even when there were only a couple borderliners last year, I had a lot of fun with it.

Details @ http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/contests/CAGDCT2013/
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Zerst wrote:There's an annual arcade tournament happening at Logan Hardware the weekend of March 22-24 that has a good number of shmups and borderliners in the list this year, including Dodonpachi, Raiden Fighters Jet, and Omega Fighter. It's focused on classic arcade gaming in general, but even when there were only a couple borderliners last year, I had a lot of fun with it.

Details @ http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/contests/CAGDCT2013/
Raiden Fighters Jet and Dodonpachi is itching me to join the tournament, though I'm terrible at chaining or medal chaining lol. Definitely gotta try practicing for both!

I think we need a general thread for Chicagoland meetups.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
TLB

Post by TLB »

Depending on which week I'm off school this year, I might go for some DDP competition. RFJ is tempting, but I don't need that kind of restarting in my life.
drboom

Post by drboom »

Hey all - thought I should post up here too, but I'm delaying the Winter Carnival as Zespy has some stuff to do at his location. It's still on, but probably more like April, possibly May. It's probably gonna be the Spring Carnival this year.

As for Mark's CAGDC tourney - shmupers - please sign up! Gonna be a lot of fun and there are going to be some fantastic players there, including some of the best vintage gamers in the US. It's also worth noting that Zerst got second place overall last year in a room with some extremely talented guys. The guy is a monster!
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

Third, actually. It was really close though.
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
Fly

Post by Fly »

Zerst wrote:Third, actually. It was really close though.
Close, indeed. Although Donald did blow us all away for top spot. I got 2nd. 3rd and beyond were right on my ass.

Donald wont have it so easy this time. There are at least 3-4 people that can top him this time.

Hector
drboom

Post by drboom »

Man - has anyone beaten Donald yet in one of Mark's tourneys? And good to see you on the boards, Hector.
drboom

Post by drboom »

Dates are up for the Chicagoland Meet in that thread - May 31st through June 1st. See some/all of you there!