Chicagoland Spring Carnival future + announcement

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
beatsgo

Re: Chicagoland Spring Carnival future + announcement

Post by beatsgo »

The two places I can suggest checking out is People Play Games(Lakeview) and The Exchange(Wicker Park). The prevoius is little overpriced, but they amassed a large selection of games on most consoles. They're not bad on imports either. The latter I haven't been to, but heard it's the next best gaming store around town. I might have to check this place out sometime in the following weeks.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
cdamm

Post by cdamm »

beatsgo wrote:The two places I can suggest checking out is People Play Games(Lakeview) and The Exchange(Wicker Park). The prevoius is little overpriced, but they amassed a large selection of games on most consoles. They're not bad on imports either. The latter I haven't been to, but heard it's the next best gaming store around town. I might have to check this place out sometime in the following weeks.
people play games is awful.

people are good, but the prices are just outrageous. its where the out of towners go to shop as a tourist destination. The exchange is a vastly superior spot.
stuminator

Post by stuminator »

I'd like to try and make it again if I can. Long ass drive, but why not?
Macho De Luxe

Post by Macho De Luxe »

I've been to People Play Games once, but I've never been to The Exchange. I'll try to check it out sometime.

The place I've been to more is Video Games Then & Now, it's a little bit north of the HIP. They have a bunch of NES cartridges stacked up on shelves. I remember they had a few import Saturn games one time, but that was a few years ago and I can't remember seeing any imported stuff last time I was there.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

any development on this? I was really hoping there would be another meetup this year :O
a creature... half solid half gas
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Sorry guys for delaying, totally my fault. It's getting really hard to get a hold of Zespy since he open up Logan Arcade (Arcade Bar!!!!!) close by. But I'm trying my best to get a date for this event so we can at least have something to work with.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

Logan Arcade (Arcade Bar!!!!!)

What the what???

Sounds like the last couple Chicagoland Meets!!! :lol:

I will fall over laughing if he installs a bottomless PBR cooler... :idea:
"When you can say you love shooting games, I get the sense you’re no longer a normal person. (laughs)" - S. Yagawa
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Logan Arcade you say :shock:

sounds intriguing....
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

that does sound pretty good actually.

I just wanted to make sure this didn't fall through :) let me know if you need a hand with anything beatsgo.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Just a quick update, I finally established a point of contact with Jim yesterday. I'm hoping to get any updates to you guys soon. Plus I just picked up a candy cabinet by cdamn of Windy Gaming last weekend. Seriously, check it out
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

Good to hear. I'm up for another meet this summer. You can 1cc Ninja Emaki again!
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

gratz on the cab beatsgo. I got mine as well and been messing with progear since it was originally set as hori.

really excited for another one this year. I can bring some boards though I'm sure others will have similar ones. Battle Garegga, Armed Police Batrider Korean B, Progear, Dimahoo, ESP Ra.De., Dangun Feveron, Ibara, Strikers 1999. probably won't bring any of my console stuff this time.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Some-Mist wrote:gratz on the cab beatsgo. I got mine as well and been messing with progear since it was originally set as hori.

really excited for another one this year. I can bring some boards though I'm sure others will have similar ones. Battle Garegga, Armed Police Batrider Korean B, Progear, Dimahoo, ESP Ra.De., Dangun Feveron, Ibara, Strikers 1999. probably won't bring any of my console stuff this time.
Which cab did you get? Got myself a lovely NewAstroCity, but have to do a cleanup and paint job on it to make it pristine. Got Puzzle Bobble 4 in it and playing like a champ (except on puzzle mode :oops: )

One of these weekends we should hangout and checkout some pcbs we have.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

same as you, except a little more beat up. I see it as a perfect starter cab to delve into since it's not pristine... I'd otherwise be scared to even open it up.
Spoiler
been reading a buncha articles and watching videos and I'm considering trying to install a new jamma harness + wiring.

I'm sure you know how to use it and what to do, but I had to do a buncha research to learn how to read and adjust voltage. let me know if you need any help. mine was originally set around 5.43V and I had to crank it down to 5.01V to avoid frying my board(s). I was told by a user on n-g that his cab (from a different buy) was set around the same voltage on arrival and is likely due to the change from 110V in Japan to 120V in the US.

I'd definitely be down for a hang + game + brew too.
Last edited by Some-Mist on Sun May 04, 2014 4:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

beatsgo wrote:
Some-Mist wrote:gratz on the cab beatsgo. I got mine as well and been messing with progear since it was originally set as hori.

Which cab did you get? Got myself a lovely NewAstroCity, but have to do a cleanup and paint job on it to make it pristine. Got Puzzle Bobble 4 in it and playing like a champ (except on puzzle mode :oops: )

One of these weekends we should hangout and checkout some pcbs we have.
Before you go to the hassle of painting it, get yourself some of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and have a good go at it. You'd be amazed what those things can do for a cab.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

seems like an awesome tip. I'm gonna have to try that out too.

as for the meet: would the location be Logan's Arcade? or where are we thinking of hosting it? Also.. if it's sometime in August, I will be heading to Sandusky on the 9th/10th. So that really wouldn't work for me. not a big deal if I can't go but I'd be bummed haha.

I also think lollapalooza is on the first weekend. so there's that to consider.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Right now I aiming to hold it at either Logan Hardware/Arcade in mid-August. Likely I have to employ some tactics (nagging) to get the ball rolling with Jim. I'm open to holding mini meetups here and there, but it's going to be up towards nothern Chicagoland for conveince.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
majik989s

Post by majik989s »

I'm really looking forward to this year's meet-up. Every year I've been away for some reason or another but this year I will be in town for sure!

On that note, is there anybody in the UIUC region now? I mean we have 40K students, it would be hard to believe if none of them are on this board.
"Only entertains itself."- USA Today
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I'm hoping it all pans out as it should be a great time.
stuminator

Post by stuminator »

beatsgo wrote:Right now I aiming to hold it at either Logan Hardware/Arcade in mid-August. Likely I have to employ some tactics (nagging) to get the ball rolling with Jim. I'm open to holding mini meetups here and there, but it's going to be up towards nothern Chicagoland for conveince.
Not a lot of weekends in August are good for me, any more developments on when it'll be?
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

stuminator wrote:
beatsgo wrote:Right now I aiming to hold it at either Logan Hardware/Arcade in mid-August. Likely I have to employ some tactics (nagging) to get the ball rolling with Jim. I'm open to holding mini meetups here and there, but it's going to be up towards nothern Chicagoland for conveince.
Not a lot of weekends in August are good for me, any more developments on when it'll be?
beatsgo and I went to logan arcade on Sunday but unfortunately zespy wasn't there. I'm gonna be going back there a couple more times to see if I can get in contact with him. place is pretty cool, but unfortunately no development on a set date. Also - the back staff room which was used to host the meet last year was demolished and is now part of the arcade floor.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Sorry for the slow news, but we're looking into (as in me and Some-Mist) another venue to hold this event and found one that can hold it. I'm still working out the details with the owner and Some-Mist, but this may be our spot for a weekend. Also since it has been delayed too long, I'm going to move down this event towards mid-September. My apologies to you all, life has been pretty busy since I started working again.

In other news, there might be a few mini meetups towards the Wisconsin/Illinois border planned this summer.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

it's the greatest place in Illinois (imo) but will be worth it once we get all the details hammered out.
majik989s

Post by majik989s »

Hey guys,

Just got back from Galloping Ghost in Brookfield (and conveniently just 10 miles from my new place) and they have a pretty good selection of STGs. I played a good amount of Darius, Mars Matrix, and Radiant Silvergun in my few hours there and all in all it was a pretty great experience. You can find their game list here.

That being said there are a few downsides; many of the machines have terrible burn in, discoloration, or fade, especially the older ones, and the cabinets are very much refurbished american cabs (but with appropriate button layouts which is a plus). The cost of entry is $15 for all day and all the machines are on free play. Most of the cabs are kept up very well and the staff was quite helpful when I needed Mars Matrix to be switched to free play.

I really liked it there and I know I will be back, especially as it is so close to my place.
"Only entertains itself."- USA Today
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Good news!
We have a new venue for the Chicagoland shmup meetup for this year which will be held at Galloping Ghost, tentatively scheduled for Oct. 10th-12th. Will be working out the complete details with Doc and company by the end of the week. BIG HYPE YO!
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

awww yeah :>

place is seriously so good and Doc is the man.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Nice, got my time off approved already :D

Anyone who knows good hotels nearby or would be willing to host for those days just lemme know :mrgreen:
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

Not sure if I can make it this year or not, but would like to check out Galloping Ghost for once.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

drunkninja24 wrote:Nice, got my time off approved already :D

Anyone who knows good hotels nearby or would be willing to host for those days just lemme know :mrgreen:
I can still host people, but I'm directly in Chicago about about 30 minutes driving distance from GGA.

there's also a crapload of hotels right there too
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

I will be providing one or two hotel rooms for people to stay in for the weekend. I know majik lives close by :wink:

Blargh, work and live always pestering me away from the shmup life, making it a priority this week to release all the detail behind this meetup (in a new thread to boot!).
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden