Chicagoland Spring Carnival future + announcement

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
jonny5

Re: Chicagoland Spring Carnival future + announcement

Post by jonny5 »

Congrats on the new position! Best of luck in the new city, and huge thanks for hosting the events. I had a blast both years I attended!
Matskat

Re: Chicagoland Spring Carnival 2013 - May 31st - June 1st

Post by Matskat »

drboom wrote:Big announcement here for all you shmupmeet attendees and friends:

I have accepted another position at SRAM (where I work), but this job is based in Colorado Springs - I'll be saying goodbye to Chicago mid-September and moving out there. Right now, this means I will not be hosting the next Chicagoland Carnival event, but hopefully someone takes up the reigns and ride forth.

I'm excited to move to COS but I will certainly miss gaming with you all. The last few events have been excellent fun and something I have looked forward to. I'd like to thanks everyone for attending past events and making this one of the better shmupmeets out there.
Congrats, Geoff on the move out west.

You'll LOVE Colorado. Great biking state :)

I'm thinking of trying my hand at a meet now that I have more room...we'll have to see - but I'd not hesitate at any of you guys coming out to my place for a weekend.

Good luck Geoff - CO puts you closer to CA. Maybe more ops to see Sleep?
Mat$kaT
http://matskatcustoms.wordpress.com
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32709
"This is not similation. Get ready to destoroy the enemy. Target for the weak points of f**kin' machine. Do your best you have ever done."
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Congrats on the new position sir.. :mrgreen:
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
stuminator

Post by stuminator »

Congrats on the new job.

Colorado Springs is actually about the same travel time for me as it is to Chicago, so let me know when you're hosting the Colorado Carnival so I can attend!
brendz

Post by brendz »

congrats and good luck on the move.
ive attended this twice event and both times were highlights of my year.
thanks again for all the effort that went into making these happen.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Bittersweet news. I always had a good time at the meets, thanks for making them happen!
drboom

Post by drboom »

Thanks for all the well-wishes and congratulations - I'm going to miss holding the meets, hanging out and playing with you all. Maybe ill start something in COS... :mrgreen:
Last edited by drboom on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Awww, sad to hear you're leaving the area, but congrats on the job! Hope everything works well, and definitely let us all know if you ever get anything started up in Colorado Springs, I'd be willing to make the trip for sure :mrgreen:
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Well guys, I think we should consider planning the next meetup for 2014. I really don't want this meetup to go away since I love hanging out with you guys. Unfortunately drboom left town, thus the event needs new host(s). I may consider, but my shmup collection and hosting skills are at a minimal.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
drboom

Post by drboom »

beatsgo wrote:Well guys, I think we should consider planning the next meetup for 2014. I really don't want this meetup to go away since I love hanging out with you guys. Unfortunately drboom left town, thus the event needs new host(s). I may consider, but my shmup collection and hosting skills are at a minimal.
You should definitely holler at Zespy at Logan and put something together! You got the name and my blessing, Beatsgo.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

drboom wrote:
beatsgo wrote:Well guys, I think we should consider planning the next meetup for 2014. I really don't want this meetup to go away since I love hanging out with you guys. Unfortunately drboom left town, thus the event needs new host(s). I may consider, but my shmup collection and hosting skills are at a minimal.
You should definitely holler at Zespy at Logan and put something together! You got the name and my blessing, Beatsgo.
Sounds like a plan, I definitely will be needing assistant on arranging the event and getting the word out around here. And maybe get myself a candy cab while I'm at it....

And congrats man, best wishes to a long happy marriage!
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
drboom

Post by drboom »

Thanks man! Yeah, lots of chasnges in a very short amount of time - and unfortunately, my candy cab surrered some damage (looks like a cold solder joint on the neck board), so I have been out a cab since I have been here. Got to learn how to solder...

You should hit up Andi or MachineAries1CC or both - both were great dudes when it came to helping out. Andi really helped carry a number of these meets for me.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

not sure I'll be much help, but I now live in East Village and would probably be able to have a few people stay at my place. Basically three stops down the blue line.

I also have some PCBs to bring this time, and an XM29/supergun if short on hardware - no car to lug it around tho and I live up on the third floor which is a pain >_<

Sucks you won't be able to attend Dr Boom. Both you and Zespy were fantastic hosts last year (the only year I've been able to attend). Glad to hear all is well.
a creature... half solid half gas
Joe T.

Post by Joe T. »

I live in Chicago now. Are there any decent stores selling import stuff that are worth going to?

I actually have the cabinets (4 now- just bought 2 Egret IIs), games, and space to hold a shmupsmeet, but I'm not sure if the neighbors would dig the noise.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Joe T. wrote:I live in Chicago now. Are there any decent stores selling import stuff that are worth going to?

I actually have the cabinets (4 now- just bought 2 Egret IIs), games, and space to hold a shmupsmeet, but I'm not sure if the neighbors would dig the noise.
Welcome to Chicago man! There's a place called People Play Games off of Clark St. Hit me up if you're interested going over there, the area has some good food places to go as well.

For all: I just got back from the Philippines, so I'll be giving a heads up to Zespy soon.

Update: Windy Gaming is ordering a shipment of candy cabs to what other place: Chicago!

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48826
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

^
hell yes. might as well stop at the best chicken place ever - crisp right off N. Broadway and close to the diversy/clark intersection - while you're over there too. seoul sassy :!: :!: :!:

I was thinking that this was falling through, but I'm happy to see that there might still be something in motion. I still have my place available for travelers to crash at in East Village, Chicago (right outside of wicker park in west town and less than 10 minute commute to Logan Square).

not sure if it's time for this or not... but I have ibara, great mahou daisakusen, progear, esp ra.de., armed police batrider (korean B), and dangun feveron PCBs that I can bring (in addition to all the console ports in my library). also have an NEC XM29 that we can use even though my astro will be here by then in addition to everyone else who is buying cabs from cdamm.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

So quick update everyone: got in contact with Zespy and looks like we might be able to hold it sometime around the summer. I'll keep you guys posted, but looks like we will be having a shmup carnival this year!

Also did I mentioned I'm bring in a cab too?

To kickstart things, here's a list of things I can bring:
2x20" PVMs
Sega Astro City (waiting for it to arrive)
PS2 with MagicSwaps
PS1 (US) <--planning to mod it
Saturn(JP)
Dreamcast
PS3(?)
Wii

I barely have any shmup console games (most on pc), but there's some memorable ones
Gradius Gaiden
Gradius III & IV
Sexy Parodius
Macross

I don't ever want to mentioned my PCB list, it's terrible overall :(

I created google doc spreadsheets so we can get an idea who has what. Just let me know if you want to add your stuff on the listing and I'll place it there.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Depending on dates I will try and come with Brendz again; any couches available now that Hotel Boom is no more? Although if it is Summer we can always just wander around drunkenly all night :lol:

Glad this is still going, had a blast the few years we came!
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I've got a big ass couch available if you can't find any place closer.

I live on that corner of wolcott/augusta so it's basically the commute there (8 min drive 45 minute walk) assuming it's still at logan's hardware.

I have esp ra.de, fever s.o.s (dangun feveron), armed police batrider korean b, ibara, great mahou daisakusen, progear. I think I might snag a battle garegga board beforehand too.
Last edited by Some-Mist on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Oh yeah, definitely interested in coming out again, can bring my few boards and 360 setups.

my list:

PCB
-------
Raiden Fighters
Raiden DX
Viper Phase 1 (USA)
Gigawing
Ketsui
Ironclad
Blazing Star
Aero Fighters 2
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Some-Mist: I'm likely going to rent a van since I got a cab to transport, so no worries on transporting stuff from one place to another.
jonny5: Dude it will be awesome if you guys can stop by. I'll check with couple of my acquittances see if they are willing to let me and couple of other people stay for a shmup meetup weekend.

Now I need to figure out how I'm going to run this year's competition...
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

battle garegga JPN PCB arrived today, so I should have that for the shmupsmeet :)
cdamm

Post by cdamm »

beatsgo wrote:
Joe T. wrote:
Update: Windy Gaming is ordering a shipment of candy cabs to what other place: Chicago!

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48826

lol. thanks for the mention. I went to last years spring carnival and i had a blast (no pun intended).

I move into my new warehouse (not a good location, sorry guys) in march. Cabs due in by the end of the march. Scheduling aside- if i can go and the cabs are in town when the event happens, i can certianly bring a blast city or two along for some fun.
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

Beatsgo + others,

Thank you for picking up the torch and continuing the Carnival!

If this is in the Summer, you can count me in. Just let me know the dates, and I will get the time off. Also, let me know if you need any help with organizing, setting up. I know I am 6 hours away, but I can try getting there early on a Friday and help you make it look like a regular Akihabara game center.

Sounds like you may have plenty of cabs there, but if you need my Aero City with all the Neo shmups, just let me know!

Looking forward to seeing all the "regulars" and meeting some new faces!!!
"When you can say you love shooting games, I get the sense you’re no longer a normal person. (laughs)" - S. Yagawa
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

my schedule is pretty wide open with the exception of March (which I'm assuming we wouldn't set it that soon anyway).

closer to summer would be fine by me too.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

I figured summer is more approriatate for everyone since we're cutting it close to holding it during the winter or spring. It also gives people time to fit this meetup in their schedule. Last, I like Summer since it plays homage to Nexat's Summer Carnivals. :wink:

Gunbird18: Great to hear from you. We definitely have to make a pizza run again, fun times standing outside in the rain next to a laundromat waiting for our order! I do have a neo-geo single-slot mobo if we have enough cabs on hand, which will make traveling for you little easier!
Some-Mist wrote:battle garegga JPN PCB arrived today, so I should have that for the shmupsmeet :)
Ah shit man, we're definitely good for most of the weekend! I just got my EspGaluda PCB and will be getting my Sega System 8 to JAMMA connector for my Choplifter PCB soon.

Expect some more news in the beginning of March, just been busy with life recently.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

beatsgo wrote: I do have a neo-geo single-slot mobo if we have enough cabs on hand, which will make traveling for you little easier!
I do as well - so we're definitely covered on that front ;)
beatsgo wrote:
Some-Mist wrote:battle garegga JPN PCB arrived today, so I should have that for the shmupsmeet :)
Ah shit man, we're definitely good for most of the weekend! I just got my EspGaluda PCB and will be getting my Sega System 8 to JAMMA connector for my Choplifter PCB soon.
Expect some more news in the beginning of March, just been busy with life recently.[/quote]I might try and snag one or two more PCBs if the meet is set in the summer lol. I really want ketsui, but I know drunkninja has that in his collection so I might consider snagging dodonpachi.
Joe T.

Post by Joe T. »

Depending on whether or not I can make it, I've got 55 or 60 PCBs currently and am always on the lookout. So I can bring some. I've got 4 candy cabs as well, but moving them is not happening.

Still haven't had time to really explore Chicago, especially with regard to record shopping or import games.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I'm not sure if there's any good import stores in Chicago tbh - at least none that I know of :/
Joe T.

Post by Joe T. »

Bummer. The only console stuff I'm really interested in anymore is NES, import Saturn, and some Dreamcast. Is there anywhere that has a decent selection of Nintendo carts at reasonable prices?