Chicagoland Spring Carnival future + announcement

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
drboom

Chicagoland Spring Carnival future + announcement

Post by drboom »

******************Announcement on page 10******************

OK - The next Chicagoland Winter Carnival will Friday, May 31st running through Saturday June 1st. I think we'll have to call it the Spring Carnival from here on out. Anyhow, it will be the same set up as last year, Friday night through very late Saturday night, my floor is open to all and there will be some way to win the coveted couch spot that I haven't quite figured out yet.

I will have two candy cabs and lots of monitors and consoles, but we could definitely use a few superguns and X360's. That should get us well taken care of. There will be a lot of pinball in effect as well and some classic dedicated cabs and just like last year, drinking is cool after store hours.

For those of you comming in from out of town, feel free to PM me for some travel info, but the RTA Chicxago website can give you all the travel info you may need.

I look forward to seeing you all again and I'm stoked we finally got this ball rolling!

Where: Logan Hardware
2410 W Fullerton Ave Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 235-5030

When: 6 pm Friday, May 31st till late and Saturday June 1st 10am till late

***********************************************************************************************************
Last edited by drboom on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 13 times in total.
jonny5

Re: Chicagoland Winter Carnival 2012 - Feb 17-19 - discussion

Post by jonny5 »

Hmmm.....

Might have to try and make it down for this time. I have a passport now, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Will look into this and let you know. Would need couch/floor space if at all possible.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Haven't played a shmup in months, but I'm interested nonetheless.

I have that following Monday off already (President's Day), so that weekend gets my endorsement.
Andi

Post by Andi »

I'm down. It will be cool to have it at Logan Hardware too. It's a pretty hip joint.

This is just the thing to get my psyched about shmups again after a lengthy hiatus.
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

I will check my calendar and let you know for sure. The location sounds incredible...record shop/arcade/pinball joint. I will be in heaven!
"When you can say you love shooting games, I get the sense you’re no longer a normal person. (laughs)" - S. Yagawa
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

I'll have to check work, but I may be able to make that work. Got a friend who doesn't live too far from there too.
Last edited by drunkninja24 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
drboom

Post by drboom »

@jonny5 - Definitely a good one to make. This should be very cool. I'm stoked about the location, and there will be all the usual stuff happening console and cab wise. It will be closed to people who respond on line, no general admittance for those worried about who may be able to reach out and snag some of your prized possessions...

@gunbird18 and drunkninja - you guys are both welcome to stay with me and hang and I'd be happy to have you both here.

@Andi - for sure man - I have been on a hiatus as well, this may give me ths push I need to finish off the first loop of Ketsui.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Yeah, gonna have to brush up on my Ketsui as well so I can more consistently clear the first loop.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Hey, I should be able to make it out this year as well, but I'm a little confused as to how our access to Logan Hardware will work. Are we able to go there for Friday, Saturday and Sunday? Or is it just more or less Saturday for the caravan event, etc.? And what hours of each day are we allowed to use the store? I'll definitely want to crash at your place, since I know I wouldn't feel like driving back to the suburbs in the middle of the night every night, but is anything actually going to be going on at your place, Geoff? And also, is it ok if we bring some of our own systems/games like some of us did last year? And if so, would we set them up at Logans?

Let me know some of these details if you can, so I know what to prepare for and pretty much any time is fine with me, as long as we finalize it 2 weeks ahead of time so I can request off work. Hope to see you guys there!
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
drboom

Post by drboom »

Still working those details out, but as the owner lives on the premises and is a friend, we should be good on coming and going. Just like past meets, Friday night will be mostly finishing set up as people arrive, playing and chilling, Saturday will be the bulk of it and Sunday will be clean up and people leaving. Not sure if we'll do any playing sunday. And you should totally bring console and pcb's just like previous years - itll work the same way from previous years.

I'll hopefully have more info in a few days and I'll post it up here.

In the meantime, if you plan on attending, please respond in the thread so I can get a good headcount and know who to give info to.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Requested time off work today....hopefully it'll get approved. *crosses fingers*
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

17-19 is a bad weekend for me, unfortunately. Coincides with a convention i'm working in milwaukee. Any other weekend near then and i could even bring down my candy cab+parodius boards.

If it has to stay there, though, i'd seriously consider going there over the convention as i haven't committed 100% yet.
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Got my tickets!!

See you guys in February! :D
drboom

Post by drboom »

@Zerst - sorry about picking that weekend, but it does have to stay that weekend due to a number of things. I'd be great to have you down!

@jonny - Yeah man!
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

Yeah i figured. Like i said, i'll probably head down there rather than go to the convention, but i have to work things out.
Dimahoo is a fun game.
drboom

Post by drboom »

Cool man - keep me posted!

I was over at Logan Hardware yesterday taking a look at the set up in the back and this is gonna be great. We will have a very large private room set up with closed doors so no other people can get in from the arcade. We'll have 2 candy cabs there, a slew of TV's/Monitors, a couple couches, chairs and Zespy at Logan is even prioviding a camera for the live stream we will be doing of the event!

There will also be a few pinball machines in the back with us so if y'all get bored with shmups...

Oh - and my pcb list will be as follows:
Outzone
Progear No Arashi
Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi
Daimakaimura
Cadash
Armed Police Batrider - Japan Ver. B
Air Gallet
Batsugun - Normal & Special Ver.
Tatsujin
Twin Hawk
Sky Shark

My Battle Garegga is down until I can get someone to reflow the board. Please bring whatever you wish. I know caldwert will have a few along with him... :)

And we will need people with some consoles - namely JP X360 and games, as I don't have squat. I have pretty much all the old school stuff taken care of.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

drboom wrote:Cool man - keep me posted!

I was over at Logan Hardware yesterday taking a look at the set up in the back and this is gonna be great. We will have a very large private room set up with closed doors so no other people can get in from the arcade. We'll have 2 candy cabs there, a slew of TV's/Monitors, a couple couches, chairs and Zespy at Logan is even prioviding a camera for the live stream we will be doing of the event!

There will also be a few pinball machines in the back with us so if y'all get bored with shmups...

Oh - and my pcb list will be as follows:
Outzone
Progear No Arashi
Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi
Daimakaimura
Cadash
Armed Police Batrider - Japan Ver. B
Air Gallet
Batsugun - Normal & Special Ver.
Tatsujin
Twin Hawk
Sky Shark

My Battle Garegga is down until I can get someone to reflow the board. Please bring whatever you wish. I know caldwert will have a few along with him... :)

And we will need people with some consoles - namely JP X360 and games, as I don't have squat. I have pretty much all the old school stuff taken care of.
Probably a silly question, but is drinking(beerz) going to be allowed in this spot?? At least in the back room?
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Still waiting to hear about time off, but if I can make it, I've got a J360 with all the Cave releases.
drboom

Post by drboom »

Beer drinking should be totally fine - I'll doiuble check with Zespy. Private party after all. I know Zespy will be drinking whiskey right after the store closes at 9pm. We'll have the location till midnight both nights... :)
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

I'd bring my us360, all the region free cave games, and a handful of xbla shmups. If there'll be net connection i'll pick up Protect Me Knight for some co-op fun. I've also got a j-ps2 and doj/beatmania.

Can also bring a snes with a bunch of carts if people are interested.

As for streaming, i know livestream was used last year. I highly recommend moving to twitch.tv, which is dedicated to video game streams and has a significant userbase.

Edit: and unless someone ends up bringing a garegga board, i'll grab my saturn copy
Edit2: any good (or hilariously terrible) classics in the main arcade?
Dimahoo is a fun game.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

drboom wrote:Beer drinking should be totally fine - I'll doiuble check with Zespy. Private party after all. I know Zespy will be drinking whiskey right after the store closes at 9pm. We'll have the location till midnight both nights... :)
I am so excited for this!! This month is going to take forever to go by!! :x
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

While my PCB hoarding is not at all what it once was, I will most likely have about 20 in tow. I can most likely bring my small PVM monitor and maybe the Commodore monitor to boot.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

I should be able to bring my J360 with all the games I had before (all of them released so far,) plus there's a number of them that've come out recently for XBLA and stuff. Don't know if I'll be dragging my Dreamcast or extra TV out there this time, unless you guys really need a TV. And damn, I just remembered I should bring my Dreamcast so we can have the rematch of Twinkle Star Sprites! Unless someone else has a DC they can bring, I'll bring my arcade sticks if needed.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

I thinking of going to this meetup, though school and boarding are issues that needs to be addressed first. If things go my way, I'm definitely be there for the weekend.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
drboom

Post by drboom »

caldwert - 20 or so pcb's will probably be just fine - not what it once was, eh? What was it before?! :D

machineares1CC - J360 and the Dreamcast would be great, no more monitors needed. As usual, I'll be buying a slew of CRT's for the event and I think between me and caldwert, we should be fine.

zerst - saturn Garegga would be a great idea and there are quite a few good games in the arcade, more than a few arcade shmups - Bosconian, Scramble, etc - but nothing bad that I know of. There is a stellar MAME machine though...

And I'll take a look at twitch.tv. Good idea - thanks!
TLB

Post by TLB »

Hey, what do you know? I'm finally available to go this year. I'd love to, if no one objects. (*crickets*)

I've got a Strikers 1999 PCB (no supergun), modded J360 (will play burned games, which I have lots of), a legit copy of DFKBL, and a few PS2 games. I've also got a US Dreamcast with assorted burns and a legit game or two.

I also have a pair of 16" or 17" CRT monitors (I have VGA output from 360 and DC), but I'll have to carpool if I'm going, so I don't think I'd be bringing those unless they're super necessary.

It sounds like floor space is filling up quickly, though; is it going to be possible to crash at your house, practitioner of explosions?

Regs,
DEL
drboom

Post by drboom »

beatsgo - hey man, you are more than welcome to attend. Hit me up if you are thinking of staying here, not familiar with you from the boards, would like to talk via pm first if that's cool.

m3tall1ca - floor space should still be open - got a lot of floor space! And I think we are cool with monitors now.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

drboom: PM sent

Currently my attendance is questionable but hopefully I can get it fix.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
brendz

Post by brendz »

Got my bus ticket today. See you on the 17th with Jonny5. Woo.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

brendz wrote:Got my bus ticket today. See you on the 17th with Jonny5. Woo.
High 5!!!!