Next Tokyo Meet - TBA 2017

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
NTSC-J

Re: Next Tokyo Meet - ??/??/201?

Post by NTSC-J »

I can't make it out Sunday, but Saturday works for me.

Edit: Disregard. I'll come out Sunday afternoon.
mdl

Post by mdl »

AOU show this weekend. Anyone planning on going? adversity1 said he was planning on it, last I knew.

Info here.
rancor

Post by rancor »

man, I want to so bad. The new Crimzon Clover loctest is gonna be there this weekend, but I think I'm going snowboarding in Nagano.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Going on Friday! Anybody else?
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I can't go this year :( I wish I could tho,
Shocky

Post by Shocky »

I'm going to Japan Amusement Expo tomorrow (Saturday)! (wasn't Friday for industry professionals only anyway?)

Look for a dark gaijin with red sneakers and a black coat that has a white pentagram on the left shoulder and come say hi!

Also, if there's anything else of interest (shmup meets, cave matsuris, cool gigs, whatever) going down in Tokyo now, let me know - I'll fly to Sapporo on Thursday 21st but before that I don't have anything special to do. Thanks!
Before Pope John Paul died he decreed that Aliens were also GOD's creatures and we should treat them with respect.

rancor

Post by rancor »

We (burgerkingdiamond and I) were there yesterday from about 12:30 to 2:00. Was pretty cool - Got to play Crimzon Clover arcade. Sadly the most exciting booths were Sanwa and Seimitsu - BKD and I were waxing nostalgic about how awesome a show like thins must have been in ~1994, but rhythm games, horse race simulators and most anything modern just isn't very exciting. We were looking for some foreign faces, but didn't see ANYONE... :?
Shocky

Post by Shocky »

I was there with two other western devils from maybe 2:00 to 16:30 - would have come much earlier if the trains weren't seriously late - is this the beginning of the end for Japan?! Getting out from Kaihimmakuhari was also horror, the trains were late at least half an hour. Saw one unknown gaijin lurking near the end of the massive UFO catcher lines, didn't communicate.

Anyways, I didn't even find Crimzon Clover - where was it hidden? I think the only shmup I saw was one Under Defeat HD cabinet. The expo was still easily worth going to because of the craptastic live-action Hokuto no Ken show on SEGA's stage :) ... and Taito booth girls!
Last edited by Shocky on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Before Pope John Paul died he decreed that Aliens were also GOD's creatures and we should treat them with respect.

mdl

Post by mdl »

Wish I'd known you guys were going--skipped out since it seemed like nobody else was gonna show up.

The Keiyo line is often late; it's pretty much always the first to shut down when there's high winds. Getting out to Makuhari Messe sucks.
rancor

Post by rancor »

Shocky wrote:I was there with two other western devils from maybe 2:00 to 16:30 - would have come much earlier if the trains weren't seriously late - is this the beginning of the end for Japan?! Getting out from Kaihimmakuhari was also horror, the trains were late at least half an hour. Saw one unknown gaijin lurking near the end of the massive UFO catcher lines, didn't communicate.

Anyways, I didn't even find Crimzon Clover - where was it hidden? I think the only shmup I saw was one Under Defeat 3D cabinet. The expo was still easily worth going to because of the craptastic live-action Hokuto no Ken show on SEGA's stage :) ... and Taito booth girls!
We left my place at 8:00am with the intention of getting there when doors opened - but yeah - the high winds made getting out of Nishi-Funabashi a nightmare... We spent about an hour on the platform waiting for a train and when it did finally leave, it never went faster than walking speed... :|

Crimzon Clover was at the Taito Nesica booth - you couldn't see it if you were just walking around because there were only 4 cabs with it running, and the screens were all facing toward the back. We knew that it was running on Nesica hardware, so we looked carefully for it and finally saw a tiny sign indicating there was a separate line away from the ridiculous lines for whatever vs. fighting game is coming soon.

Wish I had seen the Under Defeat machines.. I had no idea that was even being shown.. :( Didn't see any of the booth shows either - however you're right - we all agree that the Taito girls were amazingly hot.. haha.. More so than any of the other exhibitors.

mdl - I thought I told you a few days ago in #shmups we were going! Anyhow, overall it was a fiasco - you really didn't miss much aside from playing Crimzon Clover. There weren't any cool promo items, and most everything else being shown was shit.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

Glad I didn't go! It's all very very sad.
become history
mdl

Post by mdl »

The catalog from the show and a recent Amusement Journal showed up at the office from someone who went, and yeah, it really is just depressing. We need to have a meetup at a place with real games again soon. :)
Shou

Post by Shou »

For Senko Duo, Mikado is holding Monday tourneys.
become history
mdl

Post by mdl »

cuilan would be happy to hear that; too bad he's not still here. Maybe adversity1 has an excuse to practice again now (I'd say me too but I was never good to begin with).
Shou

Post by Shou »

I've been cleaning up my place again, it's nearly ready for visitors.
become history
rancor

Post by rancor »

Name the time, and I'll be there with burgerkingdiamond!
nZero

Post by nZero »

rancor wrote:Definitely set aside a day in April for a plan I'm trying to form. nzero and burgerkingdiamond are both gonna be in town, and my party pad will be complete. I just bought 2 Blast City cabs today to go along with my mini-cute that I've been restoring to perfection. I have a stand-alone building here, so we can do some karaoke in here if you guys are up for it as well. Of course drinks will be served.. 8) Only problem is that I'm on the outer-outskirts of Tokyo.. haha. Closest station is Nishiaraidaishinish on the Toneri liner from Nippori station (Yamanote line).
Not sure how everyone's schedule is going to like this, but I'm only going to be in Tokyo on April 10th and 11th, leaving early afternoon on the 12th.
mdl

Post by mdl »

I work M-F, so I can only meet up for lunch or after work on those days.
Shou

Post by Shou »

rancor wrote:Name the time, and I'll be there with burgerkingdiamond!
Let's start putting dates out there then. I know GP is out for awhile though.

My arcade inventory is here so let me know what people want to play so I can pull them earlier. Takes me time to dig some of them out!
become history
rancor

Post by rancor »

Shou wrote:
rancor wrote:Name the time, and I'll be there with burgerkingdiamond!
Let's start putting dates out there then. I know GP is out for awhile though.

My arcade inventory is here so let me know what people want to play so I can pull them earlier. Takes me time to dig some of them out!
Any Friday or Saturday is fine with us. :wink: I'll bring SDOJ and Ibara Kuro.
Shou

Post by Shou »

rancor wrote: Any Friday or Saturday is fine with us. :wink: I'll bring SDOJ and Ibara Kuro.
I don't think we need anything else then!
become history
dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

Gave up trying to remember my password and i cant get to my mail address so created a new account. Ah, behold my amazing organisational skills!

With enough warning i can probably make it this time. I can hopefully palm off some stuff (yes, i know... lists etc ;) )
"It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved."
dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

I should be in for the next one :)
"It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved."
Shou

Post by Shou »

GP is back.

Let's throw some dates out there!

I'm likely out of the country from April 8-19.
become history
rancor

Post by rancor »

How about April 5, 6, 26, or 27? Everyone good with those dates?
dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

I'm tied up 5th and 6th - 26th/27th seems a good target!
Shou

Post by Shou »

26-27 should work for me.
become history
rancor

Post by rancor »

Alright - so, since everyone seems ok with either lets make it the 27th.. full day of rest/relaxation with an evening of shmups.. :wink:
BubbaMc

Post by BubbaMc »

This is a way off, but I'll be in Tokyo in September from the 17th to the 24th (going to the TGS).

Interested in meeting up with you fine gentlemen for some STGs if there is any interest within these dates :)
Shou

Post by Shou »

rancor wrote:Alright - so, since everyone seems ok with either lets make it the 27th.. full day of rest/relaxation with an evening of shmups.. :wink:
Alright, taking game requests in preparation.
become history