2nd Bay Area shmupmeet in San Jose, CA on Sun., Aug. 21, '05

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Goz, sounds good to me. I just sent you a PM.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Dave_K. wrote: Bring a VGA box too if you have one.
Sorry, I am afraid I don't have a VGA box. :(

I am missing out.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

IlMrm wrote:
Dave_K. wrote: Bring a VGA box too if you have one.
Sorry, I am afraid I don't have a VGA box. :(

I am missing out.
Actually don't worry, we can play GW2 on the Namco cab, and I already have extra pads, so we could play 4 players (2 on the control panel and 2 on pads).
DirtyMonk

Post by DirtyMonk »

Hi, Dave, I live in Fremont and even though I am coming out of the blue here, I'm wondering if you were comfortable with me attending. Even though this is my first post to this board, I have posted on the old board before it went down, but I did so sporatically.

I could provide some drinks and some extra money for the pizza, along with a GC and a modified PS2 and an SNES if anyone's not bringing one.

I'm curious...I have a nine year old brother who's interested in attending. Would he be welcome to join in? He has a lot of respect for shooters, esp for his age, and he's always looking forward to playing some mushi with me.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Callused Thumb, check your PM.
kage 8

Post by kage 8 »

I just received a Konami Windy and an Astro City! Mwahhahahaa!!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

kage 8 wrote:I just received a Konami Windy and an Astro City! Mwahhahahaa!!
Nice! So I'll expect you to host a neo-geo meet in San Jose :-). BTW: I also scored a Windy2 cab last weekend. :twisted:
kage 8

Post by kage 8 »

Dave_K. wrote:
kage 8 wrote:I just received a Konami Windy and an Astro City! Mwahhahahaa!!
Nice! So I'll expect you to host a neo-geo meet in San Jose :-). BTW: I also scored a Windy2 cab last weekend. :twisted:
Do you have a picture of Windy2 cab? I've never seen one.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

kage 8 wrote:Do you have a picture of Windy2 cab? I've never seen one.
I PM'd you a picture.
BIG

Post by BIG »

Is this meet still happening on the 21st? I'll be in NorCal for CGE that very same saturday,and I'll be sticking around until late afternoon sunday,so keep me posted.

B-
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

BIG wrote:Is this meet still happening on the 21st? I'll be in NorCal for CGE that very same saturday,and I'll be sticking around until late afternoon sunday,so keep me posted.
Great! Still on for the 21st. I'll PM everyone directions before the end of the week.
BIG

Post by BIG »

Dave_K. wrote:
BIG wrote:Is this meet still happening on the 21st? I'll be in NorCal for CGE that very same saturday,and I'll be sticking around until late afternoon sunday,so keep me posted.
Great! Still on for the 21st. I'll PM everyone directions before the end of the week.
Awesome,count me in :D

B-
DirtyMonk

Post by DirtyMonk »

shariar, if you're really itching to play Dolphin Blue, the Golfland at Sunnyvale has one, including strikers 1999 (which only gives you two lives!), and Wyvern Wings (ugh).

shariar07 wrote:Hey Gozur, i have never seen Dolphin Blue play would you be able to come by and play with us for a short time or if you can drop it off, if you can not i understand Maybe next time or something when Raiden 3 gets released on PS2. Take care
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Callused Thumb wrote:shariar, if you're really itching to play Dolphin Blue, the Golfland at Sunnyvale has one, including strikers 1999 (which only gives you two lives!), and Wyvern Wings (ugh).
Gozur dropped off DB with me this week, so we will be able to play it at the shmupmeet. Heck of a guy! :D
BIG

Post by BIG »

Three more days to go t'il the meet...can't wait ;)

Dave,let me know if you want me to bring anything.

B-
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

BIG wrote:Three more days to go t'il the meet...can't wait ;)

Dave,let me know if you want me to bring anything.

B-
Thanks B, I tihnk we have more than enough games now to keep us busy.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Ok, I just PM'd everyone with directions/instructions for the meet this Sunday. Speak up now if I left anyone out. By my count I have 12 people showing up (including friends of shmuppers).

Please see BER's first post in this thread for the tentative list of games to be played. We have more Horizontal stuff this time around, so if peole get bored quickly with the run&gun games I can switch one of the cabs to vertical during lunch to get 2 more cave titles going (its up to the group).

See you all then!

-Dave
BIG

Post by BIG »

Dave,I'm now in NorCal..will give you a call tonight.

B-
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

last call for anyone wanting tees to be brought over!!!

PM ME!!! before sunday!

I will bring a few regardless, but it will be first come, first served unless youve already stated you want one!
BIG

Post by BIG »

pixelcorps wrote:last call for anyone wanting tees to be brought over!!!

PM ME!!! before sunday!

I will bring a few regardless, but it will be first come, first served unless youve already stated you want one!
What kind of T-shirt are we talking here?

B-
BER

Post by BER »

Okay, I'm going to run a few errands, and then I'll be off to the shmupmeet! I'll be in at just after 9 a.m.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
BIG

Post by BIG »

Ok..just got back from the Shmupsmeet...heading back to L.A. in a few minutes.

It was nice meeting all of you (Dave,Bernard,Pixelcorps,IlMrm,Shariar07,Albert...that's all I can remember atm),hopefully we can do it again sometime.

Great event,indeed. Thanks again for hosting,Dave!

B-
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Thanks everyone for another great shmupmeet. In total we had 13 people (Big brought a couple LA buddies from Neo-Geo forum :D). I'll be posting pics in the next day or two (unfortunally I forgot to take the group shot...damn).

BTW: I found a grey/brown jacket left behind in the garage (says Volcom Epidermis on the tag).
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

will ppst up pics ASAP!

damn no group pic!!

ahhh well!!
DirtyMonk

Post by DirtyMonk »

Thanks for hosting this 2nd meet, Dave! It was great being able to finally experience shooters the way they were meant to be played without having to fly to Japan while flirting with the possibility of winding up caught in a game of mahjong with some Yakuza! ; )

Overall, I had a good time. Everybody I met there was friendly, and nobody tried to kill me so it was great. BER is a shooting god, and deserves a free copy of DOJ for his skills. Pixelcorps was a totally interesting guy and fun to die a billion times with in Dolphin Blue. Shariar07 and his brother were nice to hang out with, despite exposing me to the weirdest shooter I've ever played that involved a vacuum cleaner. IlMrm was a cool guy to sit back and chill with. BIG is a cool dude who's also funny and laid back. Kage 8 is plain scary because I'd never want to sit down next to him in a fighting game since he'd whoop my shmup-playing ass. Everybody else I hadn't mentioned yet was cool too, and I wished we had more of a chance to talk. And lastly, Dave's a genuinely cool guy, and I look forward to another meet. Thanks again for hosting this.

Too bad 8.5 didn't show up, I was looking forward to seeing him rack another high score on DOJ.
Gozur

Post by Gozur »

Bummed I missed this one.... Maybe next time.

While I was on my trip to Phoenix I bought a 4000+ sqr ft house which likely wont be done being built for the next 8 to 10 months so I suppose I'll have to start looking the Phoenix shmup meet threads soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing the fun I missed out on. If it was half as good as the last one Dave hosted then I missed a damn good time.
-Goz

NAOMI games: Border Down, Ikaruga, Trizeal, Chaos Field, Heavy Metal
Atomiswave: Dolphin Blue, Demolish Fist, Rumble Fish, Knights of Valour
Cabs: Crown powered by DC, Windy powered by Saturn & DC, Cyberlead
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Pics are now up at the main thread.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I just posted my pics in the main thread IlMrm started.

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4758
BER

Post by BER »

Everyone who attended, thanks for making this shmupmeet an interesting one. And Dave_K., thank you for hosting this shmupmeet again. I'm looking forward to the next one!
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
kage 8

Post by kage 8 »

I had a great time hanging out with your guys. A HUGE thanks goes out to Dave. The greatest host ever!