Austin, TX or close?

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Serious

Re: Austin, TX or close?

Post by Serious »

ExitPlanetDust wrote:
Serious wrote:I'm a new member and I'm based in Austin..

I'm a regular at Pinballz but hardly ever go to UFO.. I prefer console and MAME gaming over hanging out at UFO.. But I sure miss Le Fun on Guadalupe..

I would be interested in joining a future meetup, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
Welcome to the forum and the thread! Whereabouts are you located?
Thanks

I'm in South Austin, near Ben White.. (78745 side)
sorhp

Post by sorhp »

Hey guys I'm in midland tx, I show up in atx about 5x a year, I could plan to come over for a hang out if I know far enough in advance, I love UFO when I get a chance, also live pinballz, I'll be at the tx pin fest this weekend in frisco
Bagheera369

Post by Bagheera369 »

I'm in Dallas, and am discussing with the organizers of Texas Pinball Festival to get a small CandyCab row going there for next year. Bringing a game gets you free entry into the show for the weekend. I have an Atomiswave SD, and a Tekken5 that's been mame'd and put in Sitdown mode with a SLG. (looks gorgeous). There are a few other candy people here as well. I would like to get at least half of the Candies running Shmups of some sort there....and will be bringing my Raiden2 and DX, along with my Aero Fighters 1 and Gemini Wing PCB's. I also have a Prehistoric Isle pcb that needs repairing but can go in the Tekken horizontally.

I think 8-10 will do it....would anyone down in Austin be interested? Anyone coming will need actual PCB's for this one...as the games will have to be on from 4pm-1am on Friday, 10am-3am on Saturday, and 10am-3pm on Sunday.

I run as Bagheera369 on KLOV, Neo-Geo, Arcade Otaku, and here.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

I have an Astro City and would be interested in hearing more about this :).

Mine is shmups only. 1P control panel.

I also have misc shmup PCBs.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

I also have a friend in Bedford with 3 candy cabs, and he would probably be interested as well.
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

OOh, I don't have a cab but I'd like to meet up and play some shmups. Also, the price for admission is a bit high for me since I would only go to play the shmup cabs so if anyone has an extra cab they'd like to register under my name for free admission, PM me for details. :) 8)
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Hey everyone, just wanted to drop by and say hi! :)

I'm from Houston, TX, and for some time, I've been thinking about meeting other people who also play shmups as well, in light of me coming out as a newly emerging shmup player. Besides me, I only know of two - three other friends of mine who know about shmup games in my area (That I know about, at least), and while there are a few more, they don't really play much shmups, besides a few games, and even then, they only play sparingly, unfortunately, meaning they're not into them much. :(

Yeah, thinking of that, and seeing how hard it is to get other people to play these types of games (I think I talked to a dozen people so far, and well, it hasn't really gone anywhere, except for maybe a couple, but that's it. The effort was rather vain, so to speak) I've been thinking a bit about how to meet other people who also play shmups, that it can't be that it would be just me and a couple other guys, as I'm certain there's others out there (That, and to make matters worse, I don't see those few couple friends of mine who know about shmups and play them very often. Sometimes, I could almost believe I'm talking to myself :( I mean, yeah, I'm a member here, and I like it very much, almost like I'm at home, and besides here and one other forum I go to that's also related to shmup games, that's about it for interactions online. Outside of that, I barely know anyone that's interested in shmups, besides 2 - 3 I already talked about and me not seeing them often, so I'm more-or-less by myself), so after a while, I decided to look here in this section of the shmup forum (Yeah, I haven't really looked here, despite being a member for some time... Well, a couple months, but yeah. Took me long enough, lol :lol:), and I see a Texas-related thread here! :D

So, with that said, I'll just throw myself out there for the others who also live in some part of Texas! I know I still have a long way to go, there's a lot to learn, and I'm still working at honing my skills, but I sure do hope to meet some of you someday! :)
Last edited by PurpleTheGuy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Purple (or VioletHatPurple), the man who'll become King of the Doujin Players! Yes, I am a Touhou/Doujin Game Player!

YouTube Channel | Twitter Account | Scores/1cc List on Restart Syndrome
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Cool, hope to meet you one day. :)
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Aleksei wrote:Cool, hope to meet you one day. :)
Why, it would be an honour to meet you someday, Aleksei! I've seen you featured once in STG Weekly, the episode about Pink Sweets, so I actually know about you, at least from STG Weekly! :)
I'm Purple (or VioletHatPurple), the man who'll become King of the Doujin Players! Yes, I am a Touhou/Doujin Game Player!

Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

PurpleTheGuy wrote:
Aleksei wrote:Cool, hope to meet you one day. :)
Why, it would be an honour to meet you someday, Aleksei! I've seen you featured once in STG Weekly, the episode about Pink Sweets, so I actually know about you, at least from STG Weekly! :)
oh cool, but I don't sound so nervous face to face. :oops:
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
Serious

Post by Serious »

It would be cool if we had a local league or something going, kinda like the pinball leagues at Pinballz.

Of course, I'd probably be humiliated by how bad I am in comparison to everyone else..
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Actually, Akon is going on in downtown Dallas and ruiza97 and myself where shmuping last night and will again tomorrow night, where are you located?
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
Serious

Post by Serious »

Aleksei wrote:Actually, Akon is going on in downtown Dallas and ruiza97 and myself where shmuping last night and will again tomorrow night, where are you located?
I'm in South Austin..
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Hey everyone, sorry I didn't reply back, thing's have been pretty busy, with summer school (Sucks, but I needed to get that certain class out of the way, as the class I'm doing is much easier to handle in the summer than at the regular semesters) and all on my part (It'll be much better, when July comes around). I just thought I'd follow-up here on my end, since this is my opportunity to do so before things get busy again. Sorry about the hold on my part.

From what I see, it looks like everyone's been meeting up, all while I've kind of kept silent for a bit. Yeah, sorry that I'm not able to go to any of these, and that might be the case for a while, unless there was a meet-up somewhere around Houston or so at some point in the future. We'll see what happens on my end.
Aleksei wrote:oh cool, but I don't sound so nervous face to face. :oops:
Ahaha, well, that's pretty cool to hear. I would think it helps that you're not having to speak for an audience of some sort, haha. For some of my friends, whenever I speak, a couple point out that, at times, when I speak, I kind of sound, as if I'm nervous/uncertain about something, lol.

Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Hey guys, I'll be in Austin this weekend, PM me if you want to meet up @ UFO or your place for some shmups!
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
hittstick

Post by hittstick »

Hey all, new to the forum, I'm about 30 minutes South of Houston. Nice to meet y'all! Anyone else in my area?