Austin, TX or close?

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
ExitPlanetDust

Re: Austin, TX or close?

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Setting up a Guardian Heroes HD release party/meet if anyone is interested. This is a collaboration between the meetup.com Austin video games club and the Austin Racketboy.com members. PM for details or visit the Austin, TX Racketboy members' thread.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

I'm thinking about setting up a shmup meet at Game Over here in town. Let me know if you're interested an have any games/systems to contribute. My collection isn't diverse enough to keep a group of people entertained for long.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Let me know. I *might* be able to attend. I have some arcade PCBs, but most of my consoles are boxed up from just moving to Ft Worth. My X68000 and FM Towns can attend though.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Cool. Thanks for the offer. I will keep this thread up to date. Things are very slow moving right now.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Would probably be available for something on memorial day weekend (that Saturday).
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

It really depends on the venue we host at. I usually hold these things at Game Over. I wouldn't be surprised if they have something going on that weekend already. If you know of another place, let me know.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Got a few people interested. I would like to have at least 5 people as definites before I contact the owner of Game Over to reserve the place.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Cool. Actually Sunday might be better for me, but count me in. I could possibly shake Saturday night though, but work can be unpredictable.

I'll bring the X68000, FM Towns, some PCBs if needed.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Here's a link to the ongoing thread over at Racketboy. There's a bit more chatter going on there.
Cell247

Post by Cell247 »

ExitPlanetDust wrote:Here's a link to the ongoing thread over at Racketboy. There's a bit more chatter going on there.
Hi. I read the link and saw that you guys didnt end up doing anything. Not sure how many of you guys are meeting up but I have some cabinets with Cave PCBs and a US and Jap Xbox360s running Cave ports. So if a few guys want to meet up and play that can happen. Also if you want to take over some Cabs at ArcadeUfo to play some Shmups I can do that for you too.

Ibara
DDP
Progear
ESP Rade

On Xbox360 pretty much all ports. Just got Mushihimesama HD LE today.
dj_psyc

Post by dj_psyc »

You should definitely consider bringing your pcbs (especially Ibara :wink:) to UFO sometime, i'm gonna be back in town next week and since i live right near UFO i can get some good play time out of them.

I also have a J360 with all Cave ports (waiting on MMP/PS and Mushi LE's), PS2 complete library and DC complete library. So if you guys do wanna have a meet up I am up for supplying whatever's necesaary.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

I actually ended up having to go to Austin on Monday, but to pick up an Amiga.

Checked out Game Over on 183 & Lamar. Awesome store!
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Cell247 wrote:
ExitPlanetDust wrote:Here's a link to the ongoing thread over at Racketboy. There's a bit more chatter going on there.
Hi. I read the link and saw that you guys didnt end up doing anything. Not sure how many of you guys are meeting up but I have some cabinets with Cave PCBs and a US and Jap Xbox360s running Cave ports. So if a few guys want to meet up and play that can happen. Also if you want to take over some Cabs at ArcadeUfo to play some Shmups I can do that for you too.

Ibara
DDP
Progear
ESP Rade

On Xbox360 pretty much all ports. Just got Mushihimesama HD LE today.
Excellent! Thanks for the offer. I will definitely keep you in the loop. I'm going to try to get everyone together for a Sunday in July.
dj_psyc wrote:You should definitely consider bringing your pcbs (especially Ibara :wink:) to UFO sometime, i'm gonna be back in town next week and since i live right near UFO i can get some good play time out of them.

I also have a J360 with all Cave ports (waiting on MMP/PS and Mushi LE's), PS2 complete library and DC complete library. So if you guys do wanna have a meet up I am up for supplying whatever's necesaary.
Great! I need to work on keeping this thread up to date, LOL.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Alright everyone, how does Sunday the 8th (or that entire weekend after the 4th) sound? It's the weekend of EVO, so I'm not sure how it may affect attendance. Otherwise it seems like a good weekend with nothing else going on.
mesmer

Post by mesmer »

Is anyone going to be at game over on this day:
Friday, June 29 – Brutal Retro Shooters Day
Speed runs, time trials, score attacks on classic shooters such as Contra, MegaMan, Raiden, & more.
Plus, a massive super soaker water gun battle in the parking lot!
Part of their classic game fest.
I wonder if they will have any cabs?
I wouldn't mind transporting my BC cab, but I don't have a truck/van/suv.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Oh wow, I forgot all about that. I should contact David and see if he wants us to bring anything to contribute. It's on a Friday so I can head over there after work.

Add: I sent an email to David offering to bring a few games and to inquire about setting up a meet for the 8th of July. I will post when he responds. I don't expect to hear anything back until Monday.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

I got a reply from David.

Regarding the Classic Games Fest event they are doing for run n' guns/shooters on 6/29, he explained that they have games and events pre-planned for the CGF events, so no bring alongs. I will probably head over there after work to check it out. Let me know if you guys are going.

He also gave us the green light for setting up a meet on the 8th of July. Let me know if you guys could make it. I still want to do a shmups run n' gun theme.

Cell247, what would it take to set something up at UFO possibly after? I know EVO is going on that weekend so I don't know what the state of the arcade will be on that day.
Cell247

Post by Cell247 »

Yeah, the owner will be at Evo so I won't really have access to UFO.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Cell247 wrote:Yeah, the owner will be at Evo so I won't really have access to UFO.
Well, I guess that makes sense. :)

OK, so as far as the 8th goes for Game Over, I am going to give it until this Friday to get an idea of how many are planning to show. Then I will send David an email to make things official.

Add: I'm open to any offers to bring games and systems. 360 + shmups? PS2 import shmups? Bring em'.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

I won't be able to attend this time, but keep me in mind on future events.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

I should be at the Game Over retro shooters thing tonight. I will be in military green pants and a NIN shirt.

Add: The Game Over event was pretty fun. The same guy won the Mega Man and Contra speed runs. I wasn't there to witness, but I heard that the Mega Man speed run was won by .49 secs.

Met a really good Donkey Kong player from Colorado Springs who had actually seen my video of the Penny Arcade there. I talked with the Mega Man/Contra player for a bit and he is an inhumanly good Galaga player, too.

I sent an email to Game Over to reserve the 8th. So drop by if you happen to be in the area that day.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Just got word from Game Over and we are a go for the 8th. I will start setting things up around 12:30. We will start things up at 1 and shut it down by 6 and then possibly move on to another location (arcade?) to hang out.

Feel free to bring games and systems. I was going to make this a shmup/run n' gun themed meet, but we can play anything if we have the time (or room). Bring CRTs if you've got them, too. Game Over used to have several, but they have been distributed to their other stores as they have expanded.

Where: Game Over Video Games @ the Lamar Store.

When: July 8th 2012
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Ok, just a few more days!

Still looking for someone to bring another CRT. A 20" would be just fine. Just make sure it's something you don't mind TATEing. I would bring my 27" Sony Trinitron, but it weighs around 50 to 75lbs and my apartment is on the 3rd floor. It's just not practical.

Also bring any other systems and games you guys want to play. 360/PS2 with more recent shmups would be great.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

I have everything packed and ready to go. I'm going to get cleaned up and head out. I should be at Game Over around 12:45. See you guys there!

Add: Was a good meet. One of our guys with a lot of the rarities didn't make it, but we had a solid turn out and got some great co-op gameplay in. Thanks to all who attended!
AssanCHOP

Post by AssanCHOP »

Hello fellow artful dodgers!! My name's Assan. Next time you guys plan one of these, please let me know. I'm down for this!! I just started collecting, so I don't have a lot of shmups... yet.

So far I have:

Espgaluda II
DDP2: Bee Storm (yeah, I know...)
Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings
Giga Wing (green cps2)

I also have an Aero Fighters 2 and 3 carts and a Tengai/Sengoku Blade pcb on the way!!!
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Welcome to the forums and to our small group of Central Texas members.

I have beefed up my collection of shmup as well. Mostly Saturn stuff, though. Here is what I can bring along:

Saturn:

DoDonPachi
Hyper Duel
Battle Garegga
Galactic Attack
Soukyugurentai

Dreamcast:

Zero Gunner 2
Gunbird 2
Cannon Spike (OK, so it's a run n' gun)

PS1:

Einhander

I would like to find some kind of venue that would be open to us on Sunday mornings. I always have this strange urge to play shmups on Sunday mornings. We could call it "Sunday Morning SHMUPS®" or "Breakfast and Bullet-dodging®".
AssanCHOP

Post by AssanCHOP »

This sounds promising!! Let's do this, people!!

Adding Gunbird 1 and Dragon Blaze to my collection soon!

I'm open to the possibility of hosting a monthly shmupmeet at my place in Hockley. I have a Blast City and an Atomiswave cab.
YiffKingSpinsle

Post by YiffKingSpinsle »

I'd be up for another one, as long as I don't have work that day. I don't have much in the way of shooters (yet), but I'm down for anything as long as I can physically make it there.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Done with my vacation and back in town. It looks like this Fall/Winter is going to be rather uneventful for me, save for a few Saturday hikes.

Let me know if you guy want to set something up. Sundays are best for me.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

*crickets*

Anyone interested in putting something together on a Sunday in the Austin area?