jonny5 meet - 1 last time, May 5th - WE PLAY!!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
jonny5

Re: jonny5 meet - the saga is coming to a close...

Post by jonny5 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Oh damn. That's too bad. But it was damn fun while it lasted and you're always welcome to swing out south to visit the locals here.

I think I might have some pics from previous meets I can scrounge up and send you. I'll check.

You're responsible for getting me into Guwange as well as arcade hardware in general, so that makes it especially sad. ;_;
Also, anybody coming in from out of town go anywhere near Stratford? Trying to get Udderdude into town - I can shoot gas money or whatever as needed
Stratford's not too far, I'll check my schedule and if I can make it out, I can always swing by and get him first.
Dude, if you could that would be amazing, really want to get Udderdude out for this! He's been along for the ride from the very beginning, he has to come to the last one

The funniest thing, after 10 years, how many games, how many countless hours spent playing, and I still suck and have never beaten a cave game, hahahahaha :oops:
jonny5

Re: jonny5 meet - 1 last time, May 6th??

Post by jonny5 »

Oh man, anybody remember the pictures of shmuppylove KO'd on the floor by my bathroom at Queen under a towel? Ahaha, that Innis & Gunn took him out, ahahahaha. Man, really wish I had saved all the photos. I've been through the thread, and pretty much everything is dead now :cry:
Udderdude

Re: jonny5 meet - the saga is coming to a close...

Post by Udderdude »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Stratford's not too far, I'll check my schedule and if I can make it out, I can always swing by and get him first.
That would be great, I can at least throw in a few bucks for gas myself.
jonny5 wrote:The funniest thing, after 10 years, how many games, how many countless hours spent playing, and I still suck and have never beaten a cave game, hahahahaha :oops:
They're still hard as hell. That's never gonna change.
jonny5 wrote:Oh man, anybody remember the pictures of shmuppylove KO'd on the floor by my bathroom at Queen under a towel? Ahaha, that Innis & Gunn took him out, ahahahaha.
That's peak shmupmeet right there. :lol:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

also you should come out to a Guelph meet sometime!
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

It actually occurs to me that this might be something better suited to a Saturday night, when we wont be constrained by the realities of a Monday morning the next day.

So how about May 5th?

Good plan?
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

I'm in for May 5th.
It does hurt that this will be the final one, as your meet was what got me into the whole hobby of arcade hardware and PCBs.
10 years just flew by just like that. It truly is the end of an era.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

May 5th works for me as well, I’ll bring DFK 1.5 and the HAS
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

We can have a no holds barred wrestling royal rumble and the winner gets the commodore monitor and my old consoles. Or whoever carries them out first :lol:

I just want you guys to know how much I've enjoyed your company and spending time with you all over the years. This whole scene was always much more about hanging out with like minded people and playing mufukkin ARCADEZ for me. I love the games, don't get me wrong, but it was more the people for me I think. I'm not going away, I just won't be hosting. I'll come to your meets and not play games just like I did at lots of mine, hahaha. Not trying to be sappy, but this place and the friends I've made here over the years is amazing! People have come from the US, the U.K., Brendz and I went to Chicago for Dr. Booms winter carnival pinball extravaganza a few times, so many games over the years, so many machines(queen st was an arcade we also happened to live in at one point there, let's be real, hahaha) it's been a wild ride, and I'm so glad you all shared it with me.

I will update the thread for the 5th and plan for a jam!!

Anybody who knows me knows I'm not a soft man, but I've been damn near tears all afternoon when I start thinking back. Good times! Good friends!!

And who knows, I may get a pinball machine at some point :lol:

But ya, May 5th, show up anytime after noon and we're going till the cows come home or you tap out. Floor space if out of towers don't wanna have to drive home. There will be pizza. I'll grab pop and chips and junk. If you want beer or anything bring it. You know how it goes.

I am going to taking LOTS of pictures
jonny5

Re: jonny5 meet - 1 last time, May 5th - WE PLAY!!

Post by jonny5 »

And I'm sorry I was completely wasted for so many meets, and I am especially sorry to the guys for the year you brought me a cake for my birthday and I got wasted and passed out and woke up very cranky. Still feel horrible about that.

Love you guys! Fuck, I am so going to cry on Saturday. :oops:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Don't know if I'm going to be doing any drinking, prob. just stick to coffee. Should still be fun, though.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

^Realest posts on the entire farm right here. Your meets have had a huge impact on me personally since I came here from Sweden not knowing anyone in Canada other than my wife and some of her family. Thanks to your meets I have made a lot of great friends over here and Canada has slowly become like a second home to me. Also probably wouldn’t be owning any arcade hardware if it wasn’t for your meets. Not sure if I should blame you or thank you for that :mrgreen: Just kidding, good times have been had throughout the years! Glad to hear that you’re doing a TLM (True Last Meet) and that you’re going out with a bang. I will try my best to stop slacking and start hosting after Stunfest, someone in Toronto’s gotta carry the torch I feel :D
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Udderdude wrote:Don't know if I'm going to be doing any drinking, prob. just stick to coffee. Should still be fun, though.
I've been sober(alcohol and drugs other than weed) for like 3 1/2 years now 8)

And thanks Per, all of the thanks and comments mean a lot. It really doesn't feel like a decade, that part keeps blowing my mind.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Yeah, time really flies huh? I saw you mentioned pinball machines. Those are super high maintenance for sure, but they're lots of fun.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Udderdude wrote:Yeah, time really flies huh? I saw you mentioned pinball machines. Those are super high maintenance for sure, but they're lots of fun.
I'd be buying a newer recently serviced one. Not for a while at least anyways. See how the purge and minimization goes. Not looking to trade one monkey on my back for another just yet, aha. :wink:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

pestro87 wrote:Glad to hear that you’re doing a TLM (True Last Meet)
man those activation requirements are brutal though
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

jonny5 wrote:
Udderdude wrote:Yeah, time really flies huh? I saw you mentioned pinball machines. Those are super high maintenance for sure, but they're lots of fun.
I'd be buying a newer recently serviced one. Not for a while at least anyways. See how the purge and minimization goes. Not looking to trade one monkey on my back for another just yet, aha. :wink:
I'm planning on bringing my laptop with lots of goodies, if you have a portable HDD you can get a copy of the virtual pinball folder I've been building up. Maybe you can get a better feel for what you like by playing those for awhile.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
:lol:
malik11

Post by malik11 »

Whoa. This web interface takes me back.

I'll have to echo some things said above -- I'm enormously grateful for the friendships and experiences made at these meets, even though I've been pretty lousy at keeping in touch (the last few years have been kind of hectic).

The games and the scores and the plays were all exciting and rewarding, but the people really made it. I have fond memories of all the time we've spent together, and I'm gonna miss all that. You folks all have an awesome sense of humour and I felt totally welcomed. The day of the shmup meet was always the highlight of my week, so thank you jonny5 for hosting.

You can bet your ass I'll be there on Saturday, come hell or high water. 8)

Also, I've been playing teh shumps a lot again over the last while, so prepare yourselves, boiz and grills.

TL;DR:
malik11

Post by malik11 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Must accumulate at least 120 000 000 friendship points, no miss, no bomb.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

On second thought, Stunfest is coming up in just a little over a week so I need to really practise God Mode as much as I can so I’m ok with just playing it all day+night long. I’ll bring my HAS and sticks but if anyone wants me to bring DFK 1.5 or anything else then let me know I can certainly do so.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

I think watching you rinse god mode should suffice, but I will let the people who are actually likely to play something tomorrow chime in :lol:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I probably can't even clear original mode anymore, but I'd be glad to try. :lol:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

It was nice being able to see everyone again. Thanks for the good times one more time. See you all in Guelph. Hopefully. :lol:
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Many thanks for doing a final meet! Had a really great time. Always a good time hanging out with everyone! Was awesome to finally meet malik and maxlord and to see Udderdude again (definitely need to get you out to Guelph!). All the best going forward and hope to see you at future meets! And many thanks once again for giving us such a fantastic deal on the games!!! Unbeatable bro-prices in fact! I really appreciate it.

And many thanks Udderdude for all of the ROMs + virtual pinbal tables! Really appreciate it!
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Thanks again guys, very glad we were able to find new homes for everything. Super stoked to get the Neo cab moved so easily as well. Tony is still confused, he used to sit in font of it all the time, haha.

I will try and make it out for the Guelph meets, will just need a lift
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Aw man, I'm in town this weekend and thought I would check on the off chance there was a legendary jonny5 meet :P
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

I'm hosting a Super Turbo meet at my place on Saturday if you (or anyone else) wanna come over? People won't be showing up until 5pm though but we'll keep going for a while
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

shmuppyLove wrote:Aw man, I'm in town this weekend and thought I would check on the off chance there was a legendary jonny5 meet :P
Dude!! Why didnt you call me? I would have loved to get together, gaming or otherwise.

And if anybody is hosting any meets, PM or text me - I am rarely on the forum these days, or online in general - just saw this now