Great Lakes—Michigan/Ohio Fellowship — ALL welcome!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
DoYouWantKarate

Re: Great Lakes—Michigan/Ohio Fellowship — ALL welcome!

Post by DoYouWantKarate »

Is this group defunct? I applied to the Facebook a couple of weeks ago, but my request hasn't been touched.

Maybe add a couple more admins there (or just allow any member to approve).
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

hmmm I didn't get a notification of an add, but I manually checked and approved a new member just now...

though we are not heavily active, we are still going! and we are looking at having a gathering next weekend - Saturday, March 17
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

Hello,

Do you guys still meet at Pinball Pete's occasionally? Do they still have any STGs there?

I live way up north in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, but I'll be in Ann Arbor this weekend. Unfortunately, the reason for the trip is that I'm driving my wife (and mother-in-law) to visit her dad in the hospital. Anyway, Pinball Pete's is 0.9 miles from where I'll be staying, so I plan to check it out. I expect to there Saturday evening and/or sometime on Sunday.

If anybody wants to meet up, send me a PM and/or post in here. I'll try to follow this thread on my phone.

Thanks.
Last edited by MR_Soren on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Davey

Post by Davey »

While the fellowship isn't technically dead, we're much less active than we used to be. I think the last Pinball Pete's outing was back in October 2012.

IIRC, the only shmups are Raiden Fighters and either Raiden 2 or Raiden DX. But there's a decent amount of other stuff there. They're kind of infamous for having lots of broken machines, but last time I was there I think mostly everything was working properly (gasp!).

If you're on Facebook, join the Great Lakes Shoot 'em up Gaming Fellowship group, since I think I'm the only one that really checks Shmups Forum anymore. I'm one of those anti-Facebook weirdoes, but eventually I caved and joined so I could stay in the loop. :cry: I'll post there to see if anybody's interested, but my hopes aren't very high. I have various plans this weekend, but I haven't fully committed to any of them yet.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Sent a request D:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

Davey, thanks for the reply. I requested to join the Facebook group. I'll post there too if I'm admitted before the weekend is out.
quizknows

Post by quizknows »

Sent in a req to join as well
You might remember me from such movies as skate323k137 on neo-geo and racketboy forums.
gabe

Post by gabe »

quizknows wrote:Sent in a req to join as well
Same.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Are any of my fellow Great Lakes Shmup duder guys still here? Been coming back to the hobby of Shmups and thought I would check to see what the haps is with everybody. 3 freaking years ago was the last post in here. Sheesh.

Took me about 20 tries to log back into this mug.
SapphireDensetsu

Post by SapphireDensetsu »

Ayanami wrote:Are any of my fellow Great Lakes Shmup duder guys still here? Been coming back to the hobby of Shmups and thought I would check to see what the haps is with everybody. 3 freaking years ago was the last post in here. Sheesh.

Took me about 20 tries to log back into this mug.
If anything happens, I'll probably try to attend.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

I am working on making my place able to hold more humans. In the new year I may be able to host something.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Maybe I should stop by for a weekend, never been to Detroit
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
Davey

Post by Davey »

Hey, I'm not dead. Many moons have passed since I last touched a shmup, but it's always worth venturing north to meet up if people are so inclined.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Davey, been a long time man. Hope you are doing good boss. 2016 was truly a shit year and am hoping to make some damn good times happen for 2017.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Long time for all of you. I recently picked up Battle Garegga Rev.2016 and have been playing a lot of that. Hope you're all well, I have since relocated to Kansas City but would gladly fly in if a meetup were arranged. Hope all is well.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Folks....

It has been a very very long time..

I have moved two times since the last time I hosted a gathering.. among many other significant life alteration changes...

But, what brings me to post here after many years ,
well after 6 years, I unpacked my Xbox 360 while organization of things in my new, current home, and I hook it up! After a very long hiatus, I have been enjoying Cave brand shooters in the past few weeks!

During this year, I had not even played any video games (except Neo Geo with a friend playing mostly Windjammers and Neo Turf Masters)... I’ve been involved in my other hobby for the last 2 years, but it has been much fun playing shooters again, even though I’m quite shite at them right now.. but it is slowly coming back to me!

well anyways, how have everyone been? are you folks playing any shooters or even video games?
Does anyone ever get together to enjoy some shooters or anything else?

As I had said, I have since relocated since the last time there was a gathering, I’m not sure if anyone would be interested in gathering like in days long past...
if there is any interest, I’d be more than happy to see some old friends and enjoy some old games!

but anyways, just dropping by and saying hello, and that I’m alive and currently playing shooters again!
I hope everyone is doing well
Davey

Post by Davey »

Yeah, long time no see!

I'm still around. It's always a bit awkward talking to someone I haven't talked to in years. "So what's new with you?" "Meh, nothing." I'm boring as hell, haha.

I rarely play shmups anymore, although I was on an Espgaluda kick several weeks ago. I didn't realize it was in MAME, and I never picked it up on PS2, so it's basically new to me. That's about the extent of my shmupping in recent years, though.

As you probably remember, Magic overtook video games as my main hobby several years ago, but I haven't been playing as much lately, just a local tournament every week or two. I'm certainly not travelling frequently like I was a few years ago. Funnily enough, not giving a fuck and just playing oddball decks for fun resulted in me getting two seconds of fame: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/in ... ade-legacy

Still, I'm more of a board/card game guy these days. I can't even remember the last time I got a new video game. I meant to buy a PS4 on Black Friday for the upcoming Virtual On sequel, but didn't. Oops. Maybe it'll suck anyway and it'll actually save me $200.

The only video game I play regularly now is Clash Royale, which surprises me as much as it does you. I never would have thought a mainstream mobile game would be of any interest to me, but some concepts from Magic kind of carry over, and the short games and constant(-ish) action appeal to my arcade roots.

As per usual I'd be up for some fellowship! Probably not until after Christmas, but I imagine I'll be mostly free after that.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

I have left the state and now reside in Kansas City but it's good to hear from both of you! Davey and I still talk every now and again, as do Katie and I, but it's nice to hear from someone besides those two! Hah.

I am still very, very much into shooters and arcades. I have been playing a lot of Shienryu and Tatsujin lately after getting off a pretty big NMK kick before that (Rapid Hero is so good!).

I actually recently took a trip to San Francisco and stayed with Diem (themisterfalcon) and we shmupped in his garage and at a warehouse arcade that he frequents, it was a great time.

Katie and I recently discussed trying to get everyone together after the new year for a reunion of sorts with all the old Fellowship. I would be more than willing to fly back to Michigan for a get together whenever it happens, I just need ample time to know about it and plan beforehand.

I just purchased a supergun and am gearing up for my first big PCB purchase this spring (I'm buying a copy of Ibara off Diem, who has two for some reason lol). I was going to track down my first cabinet this spring but I need to move into a bigger house before I do that.
MiniPizzaHitman

Post by MiniPizzaHitman »

I've been lurking for a few months, but it's nice to see that there's a decent community here! I'll definitely keep following this thread to see if there's any meet-ups.
Davey

Post by Davey »

So this is still a ways out and I'm not sure who even checks this board anymore, but Tommy and I are registered for Raj of the Garage 5, December 7 - 9 in downtown Columbus:

https://www.rajotg.com

The only shmup I see on the list is Espgaluda II, but there is plenty of good stuff there. Between jubeat, TGM 3, a Puyo Puyo Tetris tournament (note to self: need to learn how to play Puyo Puyo in the next few months), I'll be a busy man. Also a VOOT cab but I'm keeping my expectations tempered (i.e., this is 'Merica so probably no experienced VOOT players).
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Davey wrote:So this is still a ways out and I'm not sure who even checks this board anymore, but Tommy and I are registered for Raj of the Garage 5, December 7 - 9 in downtown Columbus:

https://www.rajotg.com

The only shmup I see on the list is Espgaluda II, but there is plenty of good stuff there. Between jubeat, TGM 3, a Puyo Puyo Tetris tournament (note to self: need to learn how to play Puyo Puyo in the next few months), I'll be a busy man. Also a VOOT cab but I'm keeping my expectations tempered (i.e., this is 'Merica so probably no experienced VOOT players).
It would be very rad if anyone else could make it out! I just booked my flight and Davey and I are staying at the hotel where the event is being held. Should be a ton of fun.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

I may go to it, depending on how much I want to spend driving or flying.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Update: Yessir I'll be at Raj of the Garage next month. PM me if you guys want to meetup.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

I'll be going as well, looks like there's going to be a DOJ board and I'm keen on the idea of bringing a PCB or two along.
remixSSBM

Post by remixSSBM »

I'm new to shmups, but I plan on being at Raj. Excited to try out Espgaluda 2
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I will be at Raj, albeit arriving via flight late. Don't think I'm up for trying to bring any PCBs with me on a plane unfortunately. Unless someone really wants to play Esprade or Progear or Elevator Action Returns, in which case I might be able to arrange to have it brought by car.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

StarCreator wrote:I will be at Raj, albeit arriving via flight late. Don't think I'm up for trying to bring any PCBs with me on a plane unfortunately. Unless someone really wants to play Esprade or Progear or Elevator Action Returns, in which case I might be able to arrange to have it brought by car.
That's what I was thinking. I live in KC now so its not just a quick drive down from Detroit anymore. I would bring my Cave PCBs or whatever else if I wasn't gonna be on a plane. Oh well! I'll play some rhythm and fighting games.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

There's a possibility I might bring a board, however I'm not 100% confident if I'm flying or not on Sunday.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Raj was an absolute blast though I never got to meet a lot of you since I was constantly jumping from cab to cab, especially with the rhythm games.
Sucks that Galuda ended up not being in the venue though.

I was the Asian guy with the Blast City shirt playing either IIDX or Futari Black Label for the majority of the weekend.
remixSSBM

Post by remixSSBM »

SFKhoa wrote:Raj was an absolute blast though I never got to meet a lot of you since I was constantly jumping from cab to cab, especially with the rhythm games.
Sucks that Galuda ended up not being in the venue though.

I was the Asian guy with the Blast City shirt playing either IIDX or Futari Black Label for the majority of the weekend.
nice to meet you, sorry i never introduced myself. i was the memer asking you 5 million questions, playing with crossed hands, drinking monster, playing puzzle fighter, etc. thanks for answering all my questions about futari, i was having a hard time finding guides on my phone last second at the event.

for the record, i talked to a handful of other people as well, but i never introduced myself or asked names of anyone. sorry about that, i'm just so bad with names that i don't even try anymore, i feel kinda bad, didn't mean to be rude/unfriendly/antisocial/whatever else i probably am anyways

raj was pretty great. i don't think i ever saw espgaluda 2 running, which was weird, but tbh that reflects raj's somewhat messy planning.

shoutouts to whoever brought futari and whichever ddp game that was (doj?). i wish i knew exactly what was going to be there ahead of time so i could have spent some time learning each game's mechanics, but i still had fun regardless.

i was very happy to see futari there. it's my favorite cave game from what i've seen, and the first cave game that i got the opportunity to play. i couldn't 1cc maniac though, so hopefully i can get my revenge the next chance i have to play it

i'm 100% for sure going to raj 6.

here's an image of the attendees. im in the very back right holding the peach tea monster on my head

i posted a (shaky) video walking around the event if anyone's interested, 6:06 for room with shmup stuff in it: https://youtu.be/eHVT7g2E_60?t=366

shoutouts to richard bagmans powerful chicken and peach tea monster (sorry red bull, you didn't have lime at hyatt's store)