Great Lakes—Michigan/Ohio Fellowship — ALL welcome!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Davey

Post by Davey »

Cool, I'll see you guys at Pinball Pete's then.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

I'll most likely be seeing you guys there as well, even though I will warn you that I was just at Pinball Pete's yesterday...and it's a joke. Street Fighter III's monitor sucks, ALL the Bemani games were turned off, Raiden Fighters' monitor is jacked up and doesn't show the sides of the screen, and joystick for Raiden II is a joke, etc.

But, it's a good meeting place cause everyone knows where it is, heh.
zero.otaku

Post by zero.otaku »

Someone mentioned this earlier but I think it's worth reiterating that there's a game store not too far from Pete's (on Packard and State) that's probably worth checking out since they've got some older stuff (SNES, Genesis, NES, N64, a little Saturn and Dreamcast) and there seriously isn't enough to do at Pete's to stay for hours, I promise you. Just a heads up.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Does anybody know why Pinball Pete's doesn't fix their stuff? Are they just staying open until their last game breaks and then closing shop? :? I wonder if they make any money in their current state.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

zero.otaku wrote:Someone mentioned this earlier but I think it's worth reiterating that there's a game store not too far from Pete's (on Packard and State) that's probably worth checking out since they've got some older stuff (SNES, Genesis, NES, N64, a little Saturn and Dreamcast) and there seriously isn't enough to do at Pete's to stay for hours, I promise you. Just a heads up.
Definately second-ing this. My friends and I went there and stayed for about 35 minutes and got bored, IF that long.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

zero.otaku wrote:Someone mentioned this earlier but I think it's worth reiterating that there's a game store not too far from Pete's (on Packard and State) that's probably worth checking out since they've got some older stuff (SNES, Genesis, NES, N64, a little Saturn and Dreamcast) and there seriously isn't enough to do at Pete's to stay for hours, I promise you. Just a heads up.
I would be very interested to check out this shoppe :D
You know me… I enjoy shopping for video games (we should do a Lansing trip some time too :wink: )

So it looks like this so far, the rough itinerary for Saturday:

Code: Select all

5:00pm — Pinball Petes arcade in downtown Ann Arbor 

sometime afterwords upon getting everyone together — Head to video game retail shop

7-8:00pm — dinner

9:00pm — Head out to Ayanami/or Sonic R house for game playing and fellowship
We usually can go deep into the night so if you're ready for long night we are ready too!

Questions/concerns? PLEASE feel free to bring them up!

Thank You to all for your interest and look forward to spending the evening with everyone!
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

Get Your Game On is the place. You can reach it just by going down State to Packard; it's right near the intersection. Decent selection, but the prices tend to be ebay based, I swear.

Other shenanigans in Ann Arbor! If you're into burgers, Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger is also in that same area, and has excellent meats.

There's also a couple comic shops if you're into that.

I'll see folks after the A2 trip! Will be sure to bring the modded neo for Viewpoint action, and who knows what else?
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Davey wrote:Does anybody know why Pinball Pete's doesn't fix their stuff? Are they just staying open until their last game breaks and then closing shop? :? I wonder if they make any money in their current state.
After seeing the one in East Lansing, that sounds about par for the course. :?
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

Davey wrote:Does anybody know why Pinball Pete's doesn't fix their stuff? Are they just staying open until their last game breaks and then closing shop? :? I wonder if they make any money in their current state.
My limited understanding is that they don't train their staff on how to make repairs to the machines, so if something breaks down, they just leave it or shut it off until they can get someone in to fix stuff.

Which is a really retarded way to run an arcade, as you can see.

Also the fact they haven't gotten anything new in years doesn't help.
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
mrtie

Post by mrtie »

Howdy I posted here about coming to the last one but timing pretty much made that impossible for me. I think I can actually make it this time. My question is, is there any games you guys might want me to bring?
PC-engine: Sapphire, nexat, gates of thunder, psychic storm.
PS2: R type final.
DC: rez, ikaruga, psyvariar 2, border down, shikigami no shiro II.
GC: ikaruga, chaosfield, alien hominid.
Wii: Metal slug anthology.
MVS: metal slug, shock troopers 2.
Xbox: Panzer Dragoon orta.
360: Wartech: senko no ronde

I also have some fighting games as well.
PS2: King of fighters XI, tekken 4
DC: MvC2, SFIII, SC
Xbox: KOF 02/03
360: SC4
Wii: Brawl
MVS: SS2,SS3,KOF 95,96,99, MotW, last blade, FF: RBS

If I have anything that would like to be played that you don't already have just let me know.
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

Wow, looks like we'll have a big turnout this time =)

Mrtie - Sapphire. I would really like to see this game, if you don't mind bringing it along. =P
mrtie

Post by mrtie »

kccttzj wrote:Wow, looks like we'll have a big turnout this time =)

Mrtie - Sapphire. I would really like to see this game, if you don't mind bringing it along. =P
Not a problem is there a pc engine cd system with the arcade card there or should I bring mine?
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

mrtie wrote:
kccttzj wrote:Wow, looks like we'll have a big turnout this time =)

Not a problem is there a pc engine cd system with the arcade card there or should I bring mine?
I believe we'll need your arcade card :P

I know one guy has a US Duo, and I have a JP Duo-R. Am I correct in assuming either works?
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

mrtie wrote:Howdy I posted here about coming to the last one but timing pretty much made that impossible for me. I think I can actually make it this time.
Glad you are able to come out! What area are you coming from? Will you be joining us at Pinball Pete?
ubersaurus wrote: I'll see folks after the A2 trip! Will be sure to bring the modded neo for Viewpoint action, and who knows what else?
I am very curious to try the 2 player Viewpoint.

I think you will also need to bring the Duo-R as I only have a US Duo and a Super Grafx (w/o CD support :cry: )
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Wish I could come, damn work from 4 to 10 and then at 8 AM the next day :x
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

Ugh, that's so lame. Can you call off? =P
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

tommyb wrote:Wish I could come, damn work from 4 to 10 and then at 8 AM the next day :x
:cry:
I am sorry that it is not working out for you to join us…
Hopefully we will see you next!
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

kccttzj wrote:Ugh, that's so lame. Can you call off? =P
Unfortunately, no, I cannot :/

Oh well, again sometime. Hopefully.
mrtie

Post by mrtie »

I will see you all at Pete's..I have no idea what any of you look like so is there a place we should meet up like outside or whatever?
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

:D
Thank You to everyone who came out for the gathering.

Quick rundown:

About 5pm, we rendezvous at Pinball Petes arcade in Ann Arbor, MI and attempted to play a few games such as: Raiden Fighters 2, Raiden II, Mr. Driller, Buster Bros., DDR, and Soul Cal 3.

Afterwords, we proceeded to walk about 6-8 blocks to a games/comic/card shop. Upon completion of this. The group decided to go over to Sonic R's humble home as Ayanami's celler is 'out of service'…

The group ventured to Sonic R's home for the remainder of the evening and would play games, eat pizza, and hang out untill 4am+

List of attendants:

Ayanami
Sonic R
TriggerHeartExelica
zero.otaku
Davey
DJ Incompetent
mrtie and friend
ubersaurus
Tempest

Hope everyone had a great time and hope to see everyone again next time! Thanks again for taking time to come out. Special Thank You to mrtie for making time coming from Saginaw (about 2 hours from the meet)! Also Thank You to Ayanami for bringing your monitor and 360.
mrtie

Post by mrtie »

Absolutely my pleasure Sonic, had a great time. I really enjoyed getting to try out a few games I haven't thus far had the opportunity to try, and would gladly come down again. I am now sadly addicted to Panel De Pon, and had to go get my hands on the new DS version of it.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

I am really sad I had to miss it, ti sounds like you guys had a wonderful time.

Maybe next time, how often do you guys have these little get togethers?

I'd be more than happy to bring my 360 with Ikaruga, Triggerheart Exelica, and 20+ other Xbox Live Arcade games on it. Hell, I'd be happy to host the next one ^_^
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

I'm making my friend in Japan pick me up Ketsui DS, so hopefully there will be some of that going down next time :P
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Yeah I had a great time. Soulcal was awesome.
I have crappy raiden fighters music stuck in my head.
Davey

Post by Davey »

DJ Incompetent wrote:I have crappy raiden fighters music stuck in my head.
That sucks. I have TOTALLY AWESOME Raiden Fighters music stuck in my head.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

DJ Incompetent wrote:Yeah I had a great time. Soulcal was awesome.
Where at in Ypsi are you? I just got back from a friends' in Ypsi, actually. Lives in some trailor park off Michigan Ave by a Marathon gas station, haha :P
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

For ubersaurus,
where did you get that stereo cable that we used for the Neo Geo? I'd like to get some myself!

tommyb wrote:
Where at in Ypsi are you? I just got back from a friends' in Ypsi, actually. Lives in some trailor park off Michigan Ave by a Marathon gas station, haha :P
Wow :shock:
Thats a rough area (Ridge Rd. and Michigan Ave.) My friend lived over at College Park for years but moved out after being robbed two times in the last 2 years… plus he lost his job as he was lower seniority at the plant… :cry:
Hope you can make it out for future gatherings! If you plan on being in the area, feel free to let us know!
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Sonic R wrote:For ubersaurus,
where did you get that stereo cable that we used for the Neo Geo? I'd like to get some myself!

tommyb wrote:
Thats a rough area (Ridge Rd. and Michigan Ave.) My friend lived over at College Park for years but moved out after being robbed two times in the last 2 years… plus he lost his job as he was lower seniority at the plant… :cry:
Hope you can make it out for future gatherings! If you plan on being in the area, feel free to let us know!
Yep, Ridge Rd, that'd be the one. Haha.

I'm always down to sit around and just play videogames and chill. I would've made it to the last one but I had to work -_-

Sonic R, whereabout in Detroit do you live? I used to live in a rough area there, too, Michigan Ave. and Trumbull.
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

tommyb wrote:
I got the cable from radio shack, though I'm sure you could find it cheaper online. They should have that cord, with the headphone jack on one end and the stereo cables on the other, in various lengths. I think mine was about 9 bucks? Don't quite recall. You can also use it for a model 1 Genesis!
TriggerHeartExelica

Post by TriggerHeartExelica »

tommyb wrote:

tommyb wrote: Where at in Ypsi are you? I just got back from a friends' in Ypsi, actually. Lives in some trailor park off Michigan Ave by a Marathon gas station, haha :P
Yep, Ridge Rd, that'd be the one. Haha.

I'm always down to sit around and just play videogames and chill. I would've made it to the last one but I had to work -_-

Sonic R, whereabout in Detroit do you live? I used to live in a rough area there, too, Michigan Ave. and Trumbull.
We are actually in Garden City. Right on the border of Dearborn Heights AND Inkster.
It’s almost over. It’s just begun.