Sanwa Joysticks - odd 5-pin connector

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dboeren

Sanwa Joysticks - odd 5-pin connector

Post by dboeren »

I recently got a new Sanwa joystick for my Taito Egret cabinet, and I was surprised that it doesn't seem to use the standard connectors. At least, what I thought were the standard connectors.

My current sticks have 8 metal tabs, two on each corner, that stick out and the wiring harness has crimp-style connectors that attach to them. Whenever I see joystick pictures online, they all seem to be this type as well.

This new joystick has a 5-pin connector. So it seems like it's 4 for each of the 4 directions and a common power pin. I don't know which pins are which though.

Anyone know the deal here? Is this a new standard? I'm not sure if I should change my cabinet connectors to hook to this 5-pin type or not. Also, does anyone know the correct part # to get a connector for this?

Thanks!
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

The fifth pin is ground. After you mount the stick in your cab, use a multimeter (on continuity test) to see which pin corelates to which joystick position. I could give you mine if you want.

I forget exactly what the pin spacing is, but I believe its just a 5-pin sipp connector (my local electronics store had some with pins you crimp and then plug into the connector).

But I'd be more concerned with how you will mount the stick as I herd the older Egrets use a different mounting plate.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Seimitsu LS-32 is original equipment for Egret 1 cabinet.

The Sanwa part number for the 5-pin harness is JLF-H. If you decide to add this harness, you can still use Seimitsu LS-55-01 and LS-56-01 sticks (include the 5-pin harness) as well as the Sanwa JLF-TP-8xx that you just bought.

This 5-pin connector is for sticks that mount the microswitches onto a PCB. It's a newer standard that's making it easier for the operator to change out parts.

Regarding the pinout for Sanwa JLFxx, it's really simple to figure out. You can do the procedure as Dave_K. says or remove the micro PCB and trace backwards to the connector pins. Just remember that the pinout will be different depending on the pin orientation (facing up or right, etc.)

edit, I dug out my notes: JLFxx pinout here (read from left to right pins):

pins horizontal >> facing right

1- Ground
2- Right
3- Left
4- Up
5- Down

pins vertical >> facing up

1- Ground
2- Down
3- Up
4- Right
5- Left
jiji

Post by jiji »

Himura sells the plugs wired, but they're not cheap: http://www.himuragames.com/store_joyacc.php