strange shikigami no shiro ex (pc) problem

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
xexex

strange shikigami no shiro ex (pc) problem

Post by xexex »

I bought the pc version of shikigami no shiro ex when it was released and it played fine, but I just brought it out again and now after a graphic card change (now using a geforce7800 GS AGP with windows XP) I'm noticing something weird. If I play it in windowed mode everything is fine, but when I switch to full screen there is a distinct horizontal gradient banding. By this I mean that it is as if there are 7 or 8 horizontal strips across the screen where each strip has a different brightness level and then the game was layed out on top of these strips. It only seems to affect the background and not the sprites on top. I wonder if the program is changing to a 16bit color mode when in full screen because I saw that if I changed the desktop to 16bit color mode then I saw the same problem when the program was windowed, but when I change the desktop to 32bit color the problem goes away in windowed mode but persists in full screen. Is there any way to force a program to run in 32bit color? The look is annoying enough that it makes the game unplayable and I hate to play this in a window. If anyone has any ideas or advice I'd really appreciate it.
bsund

Post by bsund »

you sure it isnt a driver problem? you could go into the nvidia control panel and tinker with performance vs quality settings.. but try to get other drivers.. from my experience x.9x seem to have best compatible for example the newest drivers i have is 91.31 but if you get for example 90.99 (dont think it exist but you get the idea) they seem to have better compatibility but since they are not the newest and hottest they might not perform best in latest game etc..

but always try the latest drivers from nvidia.com before you start backtracking..
xexex

Post by xexex »

Thanks for the advice. It probably is a driver issue. It seems to be something to do with the lighting, because when it switches to stage 1-2, which is darker, the problem goes away, but it comes back in 1-3. I tried it on another computer and this didn't happen, so hopefully a driver change will fix it.