List of PS2 shmups that don't require an analog controller?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

List of PS2 shmups that don't require an analog controller?

Post by dave4shmups »

I know for certain that Gradius V doesn't, and that Hudson Selection Star Soldier does, but I'd really like to know which other games do not.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Everything except Star Soldier.

All done!
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Ghegs wrote:Everything except Star Soldier.

All done!
Seriously? That's great news! :D
Farewell to hollow words
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Is the Hori Fighting Stick 2 analogue-compatible? Wondering if it will work with Star Soldier.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

You need an analogue controller for Taito Legends. It won't recognise my HRAP or my SFII anniversary controller. Since when do you need analogue for bloody Space Invaders? -_-
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Daigohji wrote:You need an analogue controller for Taito Legends. It won't recognise my HRAP or my SFII anniversary controller. Since when do you need analogue for bloody Space Invaders? -_-
Yeah, that does stink. Still a great collection, and I hope that we get vol. 2 here in the US!
Farewell to hollow words
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Add Namco Museum 50th if you care about compilations, or consider Galaga a shmup. Goddamn lazy motherf@ckers.
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

Daigohji wrote:You need an analogue controller for Taito Legends. It won't recognise my HRAP or my SFII anniversary controller. Since when do you need analogue for bloody Space Invaders? -_-
I have both the N America Taito Legends and Japanese Taito Memories and my Hori Soul Calibur 2 stick as well as my Namco arcade stick both work just fine.

Pa
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

I've got the UK version of Taito Legends. It wouldn't be the first time a game has gone screwy on its way over the ocean, but who knows. Do some joysticks trick the console into thinking that they're Dual Shocks even when they don't have analogue control?
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

I don't know about these particular games but I have definitely seen games treat different sticks differently as far as recognizing the stick at all or allowing for a usable button assignment. Maybe the people that put the UK one together bungled it?

Pa
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

PaCrappa wrote:
I have both the N America Taito Legends and Japanese Taito Memories and my Hori Soul Calibur 2 stick as well as my Namco arcade stick both work just fine.

Pa
Rock on; thanks for that info! I've been wanting to get the Namco Arcade Stick for a while, and playing Thunder Fox and Rastan with it would be a real treat. Plus, it also works on the PS1; I don't know if the Hori Soul Calibur 2 Stick does. (Which one do you prefer, BTW?)
Farewell to hollow words