Dealing with a Lack of Sound Input.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Blade

Dealing with a Lack of Sound Input.

Post by Blade »

Okay, this has been frustrating me for quite a long time now...I can hook up my S-Video/Composite cable up to my computer's monitor and play games on it...but my Monitor has no Sound Input so that I can hear sound from the game!

Can someone please give me advice regarding this? Is there a way around it short of having to buy a new TV or something?
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

What audio equipment have you got on hand? Some third party cables will have branching single or dual RCA male cables for audio or a box with female RCA ports. With the right set of leads you can connect one of those up to a hifi, headphones or your PC speakers. When you're looking to rig up a bits-and-pieces solution like this, I recommend getting yourself a multi lead kit. I got a couple of Alba kits about 10 years back that include one main cable with pretty much every mainstream adaptor under the sun that you can attach to either end. Obviously you don't get the best quality signal that way, but you can connect pretty much anything to anything else. I don't know if they still make those though (Alba Universal Scart/Camcorder kit ACC001 mine was called).
Blade

Post by Blade »

Hopefully this will illustrate my situation better:

As you can see, I can use either Composite Yellow or S-Video, but I need some kind of adapter to hook the Audio up to the Auxiliary which then goes directly to the speakers.
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

2. Merciful Peacemaker
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I went to the electronics store and bought a 2xRCA(female) -> 3.5mm Stereo (female) adaptor. So using that I can either plug in headphones (recommend using ones with inline volume control, otherwise you have line level audio blasting right in your ears), or I can use a male-male stereo cable to plug it into something else.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

Blade

Post by Blade »

Well I got what you suggested and also got a few couplers in order to make the hookup work, so everything works out fine now...

The only downside seems to be that Ikaruga is set at a fixed volume which bothers me greatly. But Gradius V and many other PS2 games now look beautiful on my Monitor! :D

2. Merciful Peacemaker