HRAP 1 Question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Wolf44

HRAP 1 Question

Post by Wolf44 »

Does anyone know if the HRAP 1 that is up on Play-Asia is the new model of HRAP 1 ( non mirror top and changed inside ), if so could I still pop in some real sanwa buttons, I'm in need of a quality Arcade Stick for all my schmups and fighters and a indy made one is out of the question, this thing is going to cost me 150 ( cdn ) after shipping and duty, just want to make sure it is worth it and down the road if the stick or buttons fu$5 up that I can easily replace the parts if need be.

Thanks
Redemption is a word which has no meaning here, your lord and master is my dog and we feed him.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

I bought an HRAP1 from Play-Asia a couple of weeks ago. I can't give a definite answer to your question though since I've only seen small photos of other stock HRAPs, so I don't know the difference. I don't know if I'd say it has a mirror finish, but the surface is slightly reflective. The top is a thin transparent plate and under that is a grey textured surface that's hard to describe; sort of waves and dimples, like a metalic grid. I wouldn't know about any internal changes to the stick, but I've been playing Ibara, ESPgaluda, SFIII: 3rd Strike, Tekken 5, etc, and the stock Sanwa stick and Hori buttons work just fine.
Wolf44

Post by Wolf44 »

Actualy that works just fine, I had heard they basicly replaced the old semi real mirror top with the same top as the HRAP 2 supposedly the buttons in the HRAP1 new model ( the one you have ) are even less quality then the original HRAP 1 model.

This would be the reflective grid like plate on it now, exact same as hrap 2.

Someone had said that modding it with a certain stick ( or buttons I dont know what his LS or L5 abreviation was pertaining to as I dont know all the part terms ) is no longer possible because of the mounting in it ( this is actualy on the shoryuken HRAP faq which I'm having trouble re registering so I cant read past page one over there grrr ), my biggest concern with this is that because I am spending a fair bit on it and since im done with standard controlers for a while, having a definate answer on being able to still put at the very least a newer sanwa stick and buttons into it at a later date would be crucial info.

Its not that I plan to break the stick fast or anything, its that down the road I realise eventualy either the stick or buttons will breakdown over time on top of that I wanted to order the latest sanwa stick model and get some custom sanwa buttons since I dont like the neon green which is on it.

Just out of curiosity, how do you find the button placement vs the real jp setup on the HRAP 2, is the start and select really damn close or its a very minor thing ?
Redemption is a word which has no meaning here, your lord and master is my dog and we feed him.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Wolf,

The new HRAP does have a different mounting plate, but it won't stop you from replacing/upgrading your stick in the future. Your choices will just be more limited. The original HRAP had a dual mounting plate; it looked like a cross and accepted one type of mounting plate horizontally and another type vertically. The new revision only has the vertical portion of the plate. The stock Sanwa JLF mounts to this plate. Not having the other half means the Seimitsu LS-32-01 and similar sticks won't bolt directly in. You will still be able to swap the Sanwa stick for a new one or for any other stick with the same bolt pattern.

The buttons still have quick disconnects and are installed in exactly the same way as before, so you will have no difficulty whatsoever replacing or upgrading your buttons. I have heard nothing about the Hori buttons taking a downgrade in quality, either.

As for the button placement, I have no problem with it and actually prefer the 1's to the 2's. The layout is very comfortable to reach the main six buttons without moving my hand around. As such, I never accidentally graze start/select. The HRAP 2's layout may be the actual "Japanese cab layout", but I find its curve necessitates an uncomfortable angle for your wrist. This may work on a cab where you have to angle your body due to the proximity of the person next to you, but on a single stick at home it's not necessary or practical.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

I really like the button layout on the HRAP1, though I haven't used an HRAP2, so I can't give a definite comparison. I picked it over the latter based on the layout, and I find that the HRAP1 design is pretty ergonomic for the right hand. You won't hit the wrong button by mistake as Start/Select are well spaced. In fact your only problem will be getting at those top buttons in a hurry because of the distance. It's not a problem in most games, but in Ibara you use Select to cancel those annoying special weapon formations (lock-on and rotation).