Arcade Cab woes

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ord

Arcade Cab woes

Post by Ord »

Hi folks i don't know if this belongs to this topic but i'd thought i'd give it a bash.
I have a number of queries involving my cab that i was hoping you could help me with.

1) My friend borrowed my Cab while i was on a 4 month trip and basically he dismantled it so he could get it to fit through his door. Now the cab is fine but the credit button doesn't seem to work now and it's irritating the hell out of me. Has anyone here fitted new wires into a cab button before and if so is it hard to replace the wire. What should i look out for? I'm a serious dunce when it comes to electronics but i have a friend who might be able to do something. Any tips?

2) Does anyone have the Batsugun PCB as i'm thinking about purchasing one. The reason i ask is that i was wondering if there was a freeplay option amoungst the dip switch settings. This is in case i can't sort out problem 1.

3) Does anyone know where i can get a degausing coil in the UK? I've seen a few on sale in ebay, however they are american. I have a step down convertor, so would it be worth my time just buying an american one and using it here in the UK?

Problems 1&2 are really hampering my arcade enjoyment at the moment. I can't play ESP.ra.de because there is no freeplay option on the settings. And the colours don't bleed so much but there are dark patches on the picture and everything is just that little too dark. (yes i've put the brightness on high).

Any help in these matters would be very highly appreaciated.
Thanks.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
raiden

Post by raiden »

I don´t have a cab, but from what I read about it, connecting wires to a button should be a piece of cake, probably not even require soldering. The wire may have slipped out during transport, so I´d just take a peek in there.
The quick way to insert credits if for some reason you can´t reach the button or figure out how to connect it is to hold a wire to pin16 and any of the ground pins (1,2,27,28) while the game is powered on. These are the pins you need to connect a cable to if you can´t find the old cable, too.
Ord

Post by Ord »

Right! I've had a fiddle about and i think i've just made matters wose! No pcb will load now all i get is "coin A error."
I don't know of it's a loose wire or something. In the coin mechanism there is a switch with 3 wires coming out of it. I wire leads to the coin button next to thr Player 1 button. And i don't know where the other 2 wires go to. On this switch is a small piece of wire that moves. I think the idea is that when you put money into the cab the money falls down hitting the wire that moves and tells the cab that it's got a credit. Now when i push at the wire/switch i can get credits no problem, but when the wire/switch moves back to it's original position the screen either goes black or say's "Coin A error", depending on the game.
Help....
raiden

Post by raiden »

this "coin error" phenomenon occurs when the coin pin is constantly connected to ground. One of the 2 wires has to be ground, the other one probably powering the coin mechanism, seems like the 2 were exchanged.
Ord

Post by Ord »

Right thanks to raidens help i've managed to get the credit button working again, and i'm very happy.
Thanks raiden. :D
How about my third problem - the degausing coil? Should i just go for an american one or does anyone know how to degauss an arcade monitor. I really don't want to use magnets etc.
Any help would be grateful.
dpful

Post by dpful »

Buy the degaussing coil. If it's one that stays on (I imagine they make one that turns on and then slowly turns off) then just pass it over the screen and then pull it away before you turn it off. You'll only need to use it one time unless you move you monitor.