Supergun/stick pcb question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thchardcore

Supergun/stick pcb question

Post by thchardcore »

I have a set of custom sticks wired to DB15 ports. My question is, I added a psone pcb inside each one with a cord that sticks out, so the db15 port (for pcbs on my gun) and the PSX pcb are sharing the ground and connections to the buttons stick. Will this be okay without a switch? I'll never have both plugged in at the same time. Could this possibly destroy one of my PCBS?
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

On arcadecontrols.com a similar question always comes up regarding two consoles hooked up to the same controls. Without using an A/B box, the next best method is to isolate grounds is using diodes, but it means every connection to ground is fronted by a diode. This prevents any current leaking back to one system or other other through the ground.

Honestly though, I don't see a problem using your sticks on the PSX/PS2 when the DB15 is not plugged into the supergun. Not sure about the other way around though. PSX pad pcbs are cheap. :wink: Just make sure they are never both plugged in at the same time.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I suspect it shouldn't be a problem the other way around either, as long as both aren't connected at the same time. Besides, the PS1 pad needs +5V to operate anyway.
I have a PS1 stick that I hacked with a DB-15 port and I've been using it on my PS2 and supergun with no problems.

Another thing you could do is make the PS1 thingie external, so you plug the DB-15 into it.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

iatneH wrote:I suspect it shouldn't be a problem the other way around either, as long as both aren't connected at the same time. Besides, the PS1 pad needs +5V to operate anyway.
It definitely could be a problem. It depends on a lot of factors in your setup. Even though there's not sufficient voltage to power the encoder, the little bit of current going through and a tiny bit of ground can cause erroneous signals.

In my experience, a ground cutoff switch is worthless (w/PS2, DC...Saturn has worked fine w/o any switch). I just put the encoder outside in a seperate case+connector, that way it's a straight shot with supergun usage and easy to switch between consoles with no encoder converters.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For iatneH,

Oxtsu modded my DC Agetech Stick with Seimitsu joystick & push buttons along with DB-15 output to use with Neo-Geo DB-15 style controller enabled Supergun setup. He also made a custom DC encoder in a seperate box so I can use the modded Agetech stick with DC console.

Of course, on the old Shmups.com forum, Matt modded my Hori PS Fighting Stick joystick controller that doesn't need a seperate encoder box to use with PSX/PSone/PS2 consoles & still use it with his custom-built Superguns (via DB-15 Neo-Geo controller pinout). ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

oxtsu wrote:It definitely could be a problem.
Gah, there I go spreading misinformation again... I guess I should stop sticking my neck out into things I don't fully understand :p
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

But is it anything that would damage my JAMMA games?
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Dave_K. wrote:On arcadecontrols.com a similar question always comes up regarding two consoles hooked up to the same controls. Without using an A/B box, the next best method is to isolate grounds is using diodes, but it means every connection to ground is fronted by a diode. This prevents any current leaking back to one system or other other through the ground.

Honestly though, I don't see a problem using your sticks on the PSX/PS2 when the DB15 is not plugged into the supergun. Not sure about the other way around though. PSX pad pcbs are cheap. :wink: Just make sure they are never both plugged in at the same time.
Since the ground is a common wouldn't every connection just be the line in ground from the system/supergun? You make it sound like every button would need one, something I know for a fact is not true.

Mike