Changing a Seibu SPI cart

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
crayneogeo

Changing a Seibu SPI cart

Post by crayneogeo »

I forgot how to change the carts on a SPI motherboard. I want to change my Battleballs cart out for my Raiden Fighter cart and all I get is the counter and some japanese. I remember last time I did it the counter ran down and the game booted.

Anyone know how?

Thanks,

Chris
system11

Post by system11 »

Switch off, swap cart, move position of jumper JP1, switch on, wait for timer and game boot, switch JP1 back.
crayneogeo

Post by crayneogeo »

I cannot find jumper #1, there is a dip switch, and 2 jumpers. One of the jumpers is labeled JP121 and the other is JP072.

Is it one of these?

Thanks,

Chris
system11

Post by system11 »

I remember having one with those markings, but I can't recall which jumper was the right one. The switch can be ignored, thats the vertical flip. Take a quick look at the top and bottom of the board, you should see one set of the jumpers connecting to parts of the audio system - that's not the one to switch - there's zero danger in switching it too, as it'll just switch the game between mono and stereo sound.

If in doubt, since you know you need to flip one, and you know the other is safe to flip regardless - you could switch both..
raiden

Post by raiden »

the cartridge change jumper is the outer one, the other one changes audio between mono (regular jamma output) and stereo (via the connector on the PCB that fits to PC audio cables). Take care and make sure you don´t interrupt the changing process (during which the counter runs down), because that can damage your cartridge.