RGB SCART or YPbPr+VGAbox ?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Inkvisitor

RGB SCART or YPbPr+VGAbox ?

Post by Inkvisitor »

My TV doesn't support YPbPr but it has VGA and RGB SCART. I'm looking for the setup that will give me the best image quality. Should I choose the RGB cable or try my luck with component cables and one of the VGA boxes available at playasia ? I know those boxes usually degrade the picture so the RGB alternative could be better after all, even if I'll never get progressive scan ?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I'd say to go for RGB. As you mentioned, the upconversion usually messes up the picture quality. Even if you used component=>VGA, you still won't get progressive as only the cube and box output progressive component.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

I was under the impression the PS2 can do progressive scan in games that support it, but only with component cable. Atleast that is what the gamelist at hdtvarcade.com indicates. Switching back and forth seems to be a hassle though, unless you only own games that supports it.

I have heard a few PAL games supports it too. It sure would be nice with a complete list...
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Just buy an X2VGA.

http://www.x2vga.com/

It allows 15khz display mode in a small window for your memory card/dashboard type stuff.

Buy some scart RGB cables for each machine too.

PS2 does support progressive but only on about 20 titles.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

I got this from play-asia just because I was curious: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86- ... -1d2s.html

The picture quality is actually really nice. But yeah the screen goes blank and you kind of have to memorize the combination to enable progressive scan.

Here is my review of above mentioned box:
This is a nice small VGA box that comes with a power supply and audio cables. Included is also a converter for european style 220V input. That's a nice touch. The box has two standard VGA connectors and can pass through video by unpressing the switch button. For some reason my LCD monitor (Philips 26PF9946) greeted me and my newly acquired VGA box with the text "Video Mode Not Supported". However it works fine on my Philips 107T5 CRT monitor.

Now this box is a nice deal if you have a monitor that supports it and a game that wasn't developed by monkeys. As an example, in Gran Turismo 4 you will have to switch between RGB SCART and Component every time a race ends, as the menus are not rendered in 480p or 1080i and your screen goes blank. As a bonus it doesn't save your setting and you have to do it all over next time you open up the game.

God Of War atleast have the menus sorted and it looks nice in progressive scan. The blur you get with "Soften" is now completely gone.