How do you load J-games on a US-Dreamcast and VGA monitor?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lupin

How do you load J-games on a US-Dreamcast and VGA monitor?

Post by Lupin »

I have a Dreamcast (US), a bunch of games (J), a "VGA ADAPTER FOR SEGA DREAMCAST PERFORMANCE", and a DC boot disc, which if I recall has a reindeer that shows on boot up but it might be a different disc, a VGA monitor, and no TV. This boot disc doesn't display it's start up screen on a VGA monitor under normal circumstances.

Using very tricky timing and some series of steps it was possible to boot many a game on VGA with the disc and the VGA Adapter (even some games that aren't spec'ed to show on VGA), but I forgot the timing/methods (the lack of a TV makes it tougher too).

Does anyone have a method for booting foreign games to VGA? Perhapse there is a newer boot disc that loads to VGA?

Thanks in advancement!
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

GameShark CDX will do it.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

And Codebreaker will do it too. DC-Xchange, and some others.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
PC Engine Fan X!

Innovation has a DC import boot disc called "SGC"

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

At my local Gamestop in 2001, they sold the Innovation "Super Game Convertor" which allows one to boot up any original Japanese or European Dreamcast game on a USA DC console and vice versa for Japanese & USA DC games to work on a European DC console as well. It retailed for a cheap-ass $19.99 USD back in the day. The only thing this "Super Game Convertor" disc won't do is boot up CD-R copied DC games but it has to be original DC GD-Rom disc only. ^_~

Plus this "Super Game Convertor" disc has built-in support for PAL RGB and DC VGA Box compatibility also.

Back in the early 1990's, Innovation was known as the "Utimate Video Game Club" based out of CT, USA that sold import video game consoles + import game software too for the USA market. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

I love the DC-X, which both works as a boot disc and can force games into playing in VGA mode, including titles which don't support it such as Gunbird 2.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

The utopia boot will work with VGA games just fine, but you just don't see the reindeer picture to know when to swap. Tuen on DC with VGA adapter & Utopia, wait bout 1 minute, take out the disc, put in the import and it will boot into the game in VGA.