Flat Panel Monitor TATE trick

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
straight

Flat Panel Monitor TATE trick

Post by straight »

I recently got a flat panel monitor for my computer and thought it would be a lot easier to rotate than my big old 17" CRT.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have one of those stands that just lets you swivel the monitor on it's side.

Forunately, I kept the styrofoam from the box it came in. It had two pieces that fit on the sides of the monitor. I keep one by my desk and when I want to play a shmup, I slip one side of the monitor into the styrofoam and turn it over. It makes a sturdy, secure holder.

I had to cut out one little bit of styrofoam so I could see the bottom corner of the screen.

Yay! Feveron and Esp Ra.De. in TATE!

Yikes! It almost seems too big. I can't take in the whole screen quite as easily as I could when it was smaller.

But, wow! I love that Cave artwork.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

You are calling a 17" PC monitor big? Whats the size of your flatpanel screen?

You know these games are played in the arcades on a 29" rotated monitor right? :D
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Yeah flat panel LCDs are just so lightweight they're really easy to Tate using all sorts of tricks like that. Another good trick is to just put a large padded office chair in front of you, and put the rotated LCD monitor on that with a small pillow behind it. Your monitor is very comfortable and now you can even use the swivel of the chair as a swivel base for the monitor ;)
straight

Post by straight »

Dave_K. wrote:You are calling a 17" PC monitor big? Whats the size of your flatpanel screen?
The display is the same size, but the CRT weighs a bit more. :P I couldn't flip it over with one hand like I can this one.
Dave_K. wrote:You know these games are played in the arcades on a 29" rotated monitor right? :D
Yikes. It's been too long since I played in an arcade. I guess I should try playing on a big TV and sitting about a meter away. :shock:
japtor

Post by japtor »

straight wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:You know these games are played in the arcades on a 29" rotated monitor right? :D
Yikes. It's been too long since I played in an arcade. I guess I should try playing on a big TV and sitting about a meter away. :shock:
more like a foot or two at most actually :P
personally cant stand playing shmups on anything but my cab since ive gotten it. i still play some games in mame, but it feels pointless when i do.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I got a rotatable LCD monitor for Christmas, 17". Very sweet. Although it rotates 90 degrees clockwise, instead of counterclockwise, so I can't tate it with Ikaruga :\
Still works beautifully for Shiki II and Psyvariar 2 though! (but not working with my cheap line doubler, so no PS2 games :( )
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Word!

Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

iatneH wrote:but not working with my cheap line doubler, so no PS2 games :(
Yeah, you'll find some of those are designed for CRT refresh rates. If you're looking for a cheap unit for an LCD you'll need something like this
japtor

Post by japtor »

GaijinPunch wrote:Word!
better word!:
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

japtor wrote:
better word!:
aww just eat it the both of you! (jealousy talking) :oops:
I have no sig whatsoever.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Wow, talk about a dick measuring contest.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

LMAO!

While I think that Astro City is Da Bomb... I could never get one. I live on the 39th floor and in a relatively small condo.... the compactness of the flat screen helps.
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

That's some cool shit right there. I just posted a pic of my tate setup in that other thread. Still, I sure am jealous of the guys who have the real thing!
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

I am so envious... The quality of hardware combined with a profound desire to play Ketsui just made me shit my jammies.

By the way, what's a ballpark figure of the number of limbs you guys had to sell to get that equipment?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Whats the model number, and also is this a TV or a monitor for a PC?

Thanks,

Richard.

PS. I already got 2 Astro's and an impress. FINAL WORD.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
japtor

Post by japtor »

snap monkey wrote:I am so envious... The quality of hardware combined with a profound desire to play Ketsui just made me shit my jammies.

By the way, what's a ballpark figure of the number of limbs you guys had to sell to get that equipment?
0! its just been slowly eating away at my cash box that i just save gift money in. but if you were looking for actual cash amounts (in chronological order):
astro (w/prisoner of war) $340, dangun $150, ketsui $298, esprade $150, gunbarich $135, gunbird 2 $128, new panel $138 (they sent a blast city one instead of an astro city, whoops), and hopefully around my birthday (april), ddp doj $268.
all thats not including shipping/other fees (specifically western union on ketsui and esprade). nothing extra on the astro and dangun, just picked those up myself.

so yeah, quite a bit. up until the last order the total was under a grand (last order being gb2, panel, and technically doj). last one pushed up the total a crap load, but pretty much have all the boards i want (that arent super recent and expensive), outside of some old school games, which cost a crapload. specifically a ms pac/galaga board (last one on ebay went for $1k) or galaga 88 (last one went for $200). now that i think about it, theres one more i want, space invaders 95. i may look into getting more cabs and putting some games in my parents store for some free money.
Whats the model number, and also is this a TV or a monitor for a PC?
im guessing computer monitor, and if it is, not sure what exact model (well sharp), but otherwise id guess its ~20-23" (1680x1050 - 1920x1200 res), and multiple inputs (or at least dvi/vga), which describes a bunch of different displays now (and probably use the same or similar panels). and vesa wall mount? (not sure how common that is on computer displays)
are you the one with the 2 'new astro's? ive been wondering what the difference is between the original and 'new' ones. the only thing i can tell is different (only cause its obvious) is the speaker pod area. are they identical otherwise?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

japtor wrote:
are you the one with the 2 'new astro's? ive been wondering what the difference is between the original and 'new' ones. the only thing i can tell is different (only cause its obvious) is the speaker pod area. are they identical otherwise?
I just got a used Astro City 2 cab. I don't know if it came out before or after the "New Astro City" models...but the speaker pod area is also angled down like the "new" model, but use much bigger speakers (sort of like an Impress).