How rare are the black (single unit) cps2 boards?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
stuffmonger

How rare are the black (single unit) cps2 boards?

Post by stuffmonger »

I just spent probably too much on this black gigawing , and I've only ever seen these self contained cps2 boards on the arcadeshock website. How rare are these, honestly?
SAM

Post by SAM »

I have seen Gigawing (Japanese) A+B board being sold for US$118 at Excellent.com early in Feb this year. :o

I think the black combine board should cost less than a A+B board combined, since you could use the A board on another game. :o And sometimes people, especially the Japanese use to sold lone B board. :?

Well at least you would same money in postage for the combine board, since it should weight less than A+B board together. :o
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
stuffmonger

Post by stuffmonger »

SAM wrote:I have seen Gigawing (Japanese) A+B board being sold for US$118 at Excellent.com early in Feb this year. :o

I think the black combine board should cost less than a A+B board combined, since you could use the A board on another game. :o And sometimes people, especially the Japanese use to sold lone B board. :?

Well at least you would same money in postage for the combine board, since it should weight less than A+B board together. :o
I know how much ecl had them for, the thing that I'm wondering is the rarity of the black system compaired to the other regions. I have a few cps2 boards (both american and japanese), but I have never seen a black board for sale anywhere, and I have only seen them pictured on arcadeshock... err... not arcadeshock... cps2shock, is what I meant.
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

I had a street fighter zero 3 all in one black board, I sold mine for £100 and I paid about the same for it..

I think there are a few of these around.. Do not forget these have the Suicide batteries the same as the normal cps 2 boards..

I changed my battery with the game running in case there was something different about these all in one boards..
Fight war not wars
Dave_K.

Re: How rare are the black (single unit) cps2 boards?

Post by Dave_K. »

stuffmonger wrote:I just spent probably too much on this black gigawing , and I've only ever seen these self contained cps2 boards on the arcadeshock website. How rare are these, honestly?
I like it (more out of convinence than anything else). I think you got a good deal.
zakk

Post by zakk »

I've seen two on Yahoo go for around 5500Y. (I bought one of them)

The shipping nearly doubles the price, unfortunately.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

I have also seen these games in the single metal case:

- Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition
- Mars Matrix (I think.. its been years since I saw that one)
- Marvel vs. Capcom
- Street Fighter Zero 3

they all appear on Yahoo! Japan auctions from time to time.
raiden

Post by raiden »

I think those black boards look very slick! Is the cooling fan about as loud as in A+B combos? It shouldn´t be too much of a challenge to build such a case by myself, I just realized. Taking the PCBs out of the original cases and putting them in a new, much smaller one. That´s a nice project...
btw. I paid around the same range for my A+B version Gigawing, shipping adding about 50% to the price.
stuffmonger

Post by stuffmonger »

raiden wrote:I think those black boards look very slick! Is the cooling fan about as loud as in A+B combos? It shouldn´t be too much of a challenge to build such a case by myself, I just realized. Taking the PCBs out of the original cases and putting them in a new, much smaller one. That´s a nice project...
btw. I paid around the same range for my A+B version Gigawing, shipping adding about 50% to the price.
The black versions are only 1 pcb. Theres a little info about them on the bottom of the cps2 specs page on www.cps2shock.com
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

raiden wrote:I think those black boards look very slick! Is the cooling fan about as loud as in A+B combos? It shouldn´t be too much of a challenge to build such a case by myself, I just realized. Taking the PCBs out of the original cases and putting them in a new, much smaller one. That´s a nice project...
They do not have a cooling fan..
Fight war not wars
D

Post by D »

stuffmonger wrote:Theres a little info about them on the bottom of the cps2 specs page on http://cps2shock.retrogames.com/techinfo.html
fixed
stuffmonger

Post by stuffmonger »

D wrote:
stuffmonger wrote:Theres a little info about them on the bottom of the cps2 specs page on http://cps2shock.retrogames.com/techinfo.html
fixed
When I tried to link there, it'd send me to some n64-usb controller hack :?
D

Post by D »

stuffmonger wrote:
D wrote:
fixed
When I tried to link there, it'd send me to the right page, thanks :D
fixed and your welcome
dpful

Post by dpful »

I had a black giga wing, and the colors were a little strange- blues and reds seemed to have a little static or shimmer to them- you could just notice it flying over the water with the little island in it before entering the base, and on the title screen and 2nd to last boss screen. Does your's do this?

I assumed that maybe the black boards were a little cheaper-made than the plastic ones.
stuffmonger

Post by stuffmonger »

dpful wrote:I had a black giga wing, and the colors were a little strange- blues and reds seemed to have a little static or shimmer to them- you could just notice it flying over the water with the little island in it before entering the base, and on the title screen and 2nd to last boss screen. Does your's do this?

I assumed that maybe the black boards were a little cheaper-made than the plastic ones.
I'll tell you when it comes in.

Also, does anyone know if the black boards are phoenix-able (or if they need to be phoenixed at all)?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

stuffmonger wrote: Also, does anyone know if the black boards are phoenix-able (or if they need to be phoenixed at all)?
I believe someone already said it has the same battery issue as CPS2. Keep it real yo, and just get the battery replaced for another 4 years of use. You only need to phoenix it if its dead.
stuffmonger

Post by stuffmonger »

Dave_K. wrote:
stuffmonger wrote: Also, does anyone know if the black boards are phoenix-able (or if they need to be phoenixed at all)?
I believe someone already said it has the same battery issue as CPS2. Keep it real yo, and just get the battery replaced for another 4 years of use. You only need to phoenix it if its dead.
I'd rather not have to worry about the battery ever again... the jukebox player is kinda nice as well.
undamned

Post by undamned »

llaoyllakcuf wrote:- Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition
- Marvel vs. Capcom
- Street Fighter Zero 3
I'm almost positive there was no MM Black, just GW, MvsC, SFZ3, HSFIIAE.
Dave_K. wrote:
I believe someone already said it has the same battery issue as CPS2.
Word. I changed out my black MvsC batt. last november.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
stuffmonger

Post by stuffmonger »

undamned wrote:
llaoyllakcuf wrote:- Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition
- Marvel vs. Capcom
- Street Fighter Zero 3
I'm almost positive there was no MM Black, just GW, MvsC, SFZ3, HSFIIAE.
According to cps2shock, the only known black boards are hyper street fighter 2, Marvel vs capcom, street fighter zero 3, gigawing, and dimahoo.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

undamned wrote:I'm almost positive there was no MM Black, just GW, MvsC, SFZ3, HSFIIAE.
yeah, I could be mistaken. :)

stuffmonger wrote:According to cps2shock, the only known black boards are hyper street fighter 2, Marvel vs capcom, street fighter zero 3, gigawing, and dimahoo.
wow, I'd love to own a single PCB of Great Mahou Daisakusen.
stuffmonger

Post by stuffmonger »

Well, I got the gigawing a couple days ago, and have played it a couple times all the way through... graphics-wise, I'd say this is one good looking game... I can't see how this single unit version could be any worse than the 2-board version. Sound is also very good. Colors are nice and smooth on mine. One thing is obvious while playing this though... there is a HUGE difference in speed and sensitivity when it comes to happ and sanwa sticks... HUGE difference.