Rtv VEG Lite

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
howmuchkeefe

Rtv VEG Lite

Post by howmuchkeefe »

I bought one. I'm using it to play PS2 games (DOJ and ESPGaluda) on an LCD monitor via RGB cables.

Is it me, or is it crap? The colors seem faded, the screen seems dim, and I believe there're lines and flickering that don't appear when I use my untateable television set in full screen mode.

Is the X-RGB2 significantly better? I'd like to see brighter, richer colors, a sharper image and no additional lines and flickering.
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

I hooked it up to an old CRT I had lying around, and the picture quality is much better.

I'm bummed that it works so poorly on my larger LCD, though! MAME looks great on it.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Have you tried to change the the game's screen mode setting in the option menu? IIRC they got interlance and non-interlance mode, according to your setup, you should choose non-interlance.

They are not using interlance and non-interlance in the menu, and I forget what they use. Anyway, you should find it right away, since it give you a clearer picture.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

I found a "tate hosei". Could that be the non-interlaced mode? EDIT: Nope. Huh, I can't find seem to find the interlacing options in DOJ or ESPGaluda.

Either way, I see lines in the flames, the 3-D effect of the score counter and in the shadows cast by flying vehicles, and I think they're the VEG's fault. Also, several types of enemy shot look kind of fuzzy, and there's a general blurriness? to things. I'm having trouble describing it.

ESPGaluda looks even worse: The lines show up in a lot of the greens.

EDIT: It would appear that the device features "motion detection de-interlacing technology". I don't trust it, I tells you!

I think I'll try buying an old Commodore 64 monitor.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Tate = "Non-interlance"
Tate Hosei = "Interlance"

Your upscan device got "motion detection de-interlacing technology" ?!?! That's cost $$$, besides "de-interlacing" might need to buffer a few flims which causes on screen action to delay. :?

More over you might need to set the game to interlance mode in order to have the screen display normally using that upscan device. :lol:

I tried running the game in Hori Upscan Convertor 2 in Non-interlance mode, and it looks great. :o Anyway the RGB monitor is the way to go. :) BTW, don't forget the LM1881 chip. :o
fl0w

Post by fl0w »

SAM wrote:Tate = "Non-interlance"
Tate Hosei = "Interlance"
Really??

On my TV (RGB), tate hosei looks extremely blurry and the picture is smaller. I thought hosei meant some kind of filter/resize was applied.

Therefore, I always play ESP Galuda in tate, it's MUCH more pleasant, though I can't see my score and guard barrier gauge as the picture is too big :-(
np: Image
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

LM1881 chip? Guess I'll need to look it up! :) Boy, what a learning experience this has been.

EDIT: Wow.. the lines disappear whenever I bring up any of the VEG's menus, but reappear as soon as these close. It's as if it's taunting me.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Yeah that's their "de-interlacing" bit going for you. component versus svideo is a HUGE differennce, though. I acan say that much.
SAM

Post by SAM »

howmuchkeefe wrote:LM1881 chip? Guess I'll need to look it up! :) Boy, what a learning experience this has been.
If you are looking for LM1881 chips, I actually got some left over together with caps, resisters & beanboard. If you are interested in them PM me for details.
fl0w wrote:On my TV (RGB), tate hosei looks extremely blurry and the picture is smaller. I thought hosei meant some kind of filter/resize was applied.
Yes, the screen would be sharper when connected via RGB using non-interlance, that the way to go when setting up the game in a Cab.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

SAM wrote:
howmuchkeefe wrote:LM1881 chip? Guess I'll need to look it up! :) Boy, what a learning experience this has been.
If you are looking for LM1881 chips, I actually got some left over together with caps, resisters & beanboard. If you are interested in them PM me for details.
That depends on the monitor. Some have sync seperators built into the RGB input (Sony PVM 1910 for example), that will seperate the sync from the Playstation's composite video line.
fl0w wrote:On my TV (RGB), tate hosei looks extremely blurry and the picture is smaller. I thought hosei meant some kind of filter/resize was applied.
It means literally "vertical corrected/revised", which is accomplished by interlacing the display, filter, and resizing for the average consumer TV.

Unfortunately, since 2000 this has been the standard for most 2D/low-res 3D console (ported from arcade) shooters, even in the regular TATE mode. Grand exceptions -- DOJ and Espgaluda TATE modes are non-interlaced, 1:1 with the arcade originals. In the 32bit era, non-interlaced in TATE was the standard (sharp and clear on low-res RGB monitors).