Monitor Deguass?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
CFO

Monitor Deguass?

Post by CFO »

I recently rotated the monitor on my Astro City cab and I seem to have a green blob of magnetism near the bottom. I've tried the 'demag' button many times but it does not make it go away. I was wondering what options I have to get rid of it? I've heard of degaussing wands but I don't know much about them and I have also heard some more unorthodox methods. I just want this green glob gone so it can stop distracting me! Here's a pic of said blob:

stellarola

Post by stellarola »

Is there anything under your control panel that might be interfering with the picture? Also is your Astro City a regular astro, new astro or astro 2?
CFO

Post by CFO »

It is a new astro city. I do not see anything out of the ordinary under the control panel.
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

It's usually best to wait about 20minutes after each degauss. I'm surprised it hasn't cleared up.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I'm assuming you are talking about the slight discoloration at the bottom middle, and not the swirling lines. Try moving your cabinet to a differet location in the room (or simply turn the cabinet 90 degrees left or right, and see if the color spot goes away). Any high current devices (washing machine, power lines embeded in the wall, etc..) can cause this to happen. If all else fails, then the monitor yolk (or magnetic rings) might need to be reseated/reset.
SAM

Post by SAM »

I am worry sick that I would got that every times I rotated my RGB monitor. :?

But I simply got no space in my room to hold one more. :?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Good advice given already.

The easiest way to get rid of it is to use a degausse wand. They are more powerful than the standard degausse coils on monitors. I bought a top of the line Hozan HC-33, and have only had to use it twice. This one is special because it doesn't burn itself out from just being plugged in (safe!) and is very solidly built for long service life. Easy to use too.
CFO

Post by CFO »

Thank you for your help. Also, I think the problem may have been caused since when I first put in the PCB I didn't realize until after that in the settings, that the screen was set in "inverse" and that I had rotated it the opposite direction.
SAM

Post by SAM »

CFO wrote:Thank you for your help. Also, I think the problem may have been caused since when I first put in the PCB I didn't realize until after that in the settings, that the screen was set in "inverse" and that I had rotated it the opposite direction.
For most PCB, you could invert the screen by the DIP swithes on the board. Or change it within the option menu.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

So is it fixed now?
CFO

Post by CFO »

Yes, it was an odd but stupid fix. I remembered that since I rotated it the wrong direction (clockwise) that the monitor would not fit and that I took off one of the bars on the chassis to get it to fit in there. When I re-rotated and attached the chassis side again it did not even need a degauss. I should always check PCB settings first :x
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

CFO wrote:Yes, it was an odd but stupid fix. I remembered that since I rotated it the wrong direction (clockwise) that the monitor would not fit and that I took off one of the bars on the chassis to get it to fit in there. When I re-rotated and attached the chassis side again it did not even need a degauss. I should always check PCB settings first :x
Awesome! I'm glad everything worked out for you. :D