I'm sick and Tired of Swap Magic and Mod Chips!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

jpolz wrote:
Blade wrote:What's really nice though, is that Shmups actually don't take up that much space on the HDD. Fun times will be had. ^_^
I'm very interested in this. But I do have several questions:

-Can you use any type/size/speed of HDD?
-Can you use the an external HDD connected to the PS2 via USB, or odes it have to be the "PS2 HDD"
-It does play import games with no further modification?

Maybe a write-up if your feeling up to it?
You can use one of these drives:
http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/

If you have USBExtreme you can have it connected through usb.
Though it's much faster and nicer to just have it inside your PS2, the big one. You'll also need a network adapter to get the drive connected.

The official HDLoader dics only supports native games.
So if you have a NTSC HDLoader it will support ntsc games and if you have a PAL HDLoader it supports PAL Games.

If you have a modded PS2 and put an unofficial HDLoader on your HD it will support native and import games
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

Michaelm wrote:
If you have a modded PS2 and put an unofficial HDLoader on your HD it will support native and import games
So you're saying I have to have a mod-chip to play NTSC-J games on my US console?

Kinda defeats the whole purpose in that case, might as well just get a chip rather then the HDD.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

jpolz wrote:So you're saying I have to have a mod-chip to play NTSC-J games on my US console?

Kinda defeats the whole purpose in that case, might as well just get a chip rather then the HDD.
Well, I'm not sure that's the case. There are softmods or exploits around so it might work but I can't tell you. I know it works great with my modchip.
I even had the HD before I had my PS2 modded so I can be positive that the loading from the HD and not having to switch discs is a benefit in itself.
It just didn't support imports when it wasn't modded.
But then again I've never used Winhiip till a few days ago so it might have been possible with that, I don't know.
TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

No. You do not need a mod chip to play imports off the hard drive. However, to install imports onto the hard drive, you need a PC and winhiip.
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

TalkingOctopus wrote:No. You do not need a mod chip to play imports off the hard drive. However, to install imports onto the hard drive, you need a PC and winhiip.
Does the PS2 require an ATA/100 or ATA/133 hard drive?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

TalkingOctopus wrote:However, to install imports onto the hard drive, you need a PC and winhiip.
..or PS2 and modchip.
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

oxtsu wrote:
TalkingOctopus wrote:However, to install imports onto the hard drive, you need a PC and winhiip.
..or PS2 and modchip.
Avoiding modchips is the whole crux of this thread
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

If you want to pay online explots and softmods are no good I believe.
Modchips can be turned off to allow online play.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

jpolz wrote:
oxtsu wrote:
..or PS2 and modchip.
Avoiding modchips is the whole crux of this thread
I'll see your crux, and raise you a correction + tangent.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Okay, you wanted a writeup from me, so I'll give you a writeup:

Hardware I used:

Fat PS2 - Version 4
HDD - 40 Gigs Official PS2 version
Official PS2 Network Adapter (obviously I set up my Internet Connection as well)
PS2 8MB Memory Card (I have 2 of them one for gamesaves, the other for the exploit and backups of other ELF files)
Pro Action Replay MAX disc
MAXDRIVE USB 2.0 Pendrive (comes with Pro Action Replay)

The process I went through started HERE.

Basically I made my own custom exploit.max file with it's own TITLE.DB, I put it on the USB and used my Pro Action Replay Max to start up the USB and Uncrush it to the Memory card. UNCRUSH is very important because you don't want to end up with corrupt data here.

Then after choosing the disc I wanted to use for the exploit, my choice was Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, which works just fine I might add...you probably have your own fav PSone disc to use...but keep in mind 2 things:

1. Low disc scratch factor...makes it last longer.
2. Using only ONE Title.db saves on memory card space and exploit run speed.

Now, the exploit is installed on the Memory Card and triggers the program Launch.ELF, Launch.ELF basically lets me access all connected ports of my PS2 and at the SAME time lets me run any ELF (think .exe) programs I may have.

One such program you will need is HDLoader Patch...this lets you play imports rather easily. Exploitstation.com has a HUGE ELF library so getting the program isn't hard...and once you've installed the exploit and Launcher.elf you don't even need the Pro Action Replay disc to run your USB Pen Drive. It senses the connection just like a PC.

Putting additional ELF programs on there is easy enough, in fact you could even run ELFs straight off the Pen Drive if you wanted to. It'll just show up as corrupt data in "official" PS2 cards...so what you'll want to do is create a Partition on your HDD for ELF files...which can be explained HERE.

Moving ELF files over to the partitioned section of the HDD is easy just go through Filebrowser in the LauncherELF and copy/paste the files where you want them. I made a backup of the Exploit on my HDD just in case...heh.

Lastly, you'll want HDL_Server.ELF, a stable Internet connection for your PC, and something to do while uploading backups...assuming you know how to make them....Magic ISO is a good way to make direct ISOs from your existing discs. Although I hear not all games work, most do...sadly Psyvariar 2 does not... ;___;

Anyway...get the program HDL Dumb for your PC and run it...but before you do anything....make sure you set up your PS2 internet connection, it should have a disc that lets you do this that came with the Network Adapter.

Next, run LauncherELF and then go to where you put HDLServer...it'll boot up like a DOS window and say it's IP Address is ready...now...once this is established go back to your computer:

Go to Internet Connections, Local Area Connection, and Right-click Properties:

Go down near the bottom of the list of connection Items to click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties Button...

MEMORIZE/SAVE YOUR CURRENT INTERNET CONNECTION INFORMATION IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO, I WILL NOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE IF YOU FORGET HOW TO RE-HOOK UP YOUR INTERNETS!!!

Now you'll need to click on "Use the following IP address": and set it up as something like this:

IP address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

The rest of the fields you leave blank. Click OK and then click close.

Assuming everything is working properly you can now connect to your PS2 HDD.

Go back to your HDL-Dumb Application that's open and click Attach...it should connect to the HDD connection that's been established. You can tell it's working because it tells you how much space you have left on your HDD, as well as you can browse/delete current file partitions (ISOs actually) on the drive.

Next, what you'll want to do is go Browse and get your ISO backup and name it to whatever you want it to be called...you can actually ignore most of the settings and other options HDL Dumb offers and just install the ISO straight up.

Go do something else, watch TV or whatever....this will take a while...it's slow but it works.

When it's done, and you're all done installing your backups, close HDL_Dumb, Turn Off/Reset your PS2 which turns of HDL Server then boot up the HDLoader Patched version via LauncherELF (you can actually create a shortcut to this as explained in the LauncherELF tutorial.) And then HAVE FUN!!!

Don't forget to restore your Internet connection to what it was previously!!

Things to note:
1. I'm only using ONE and only ONE disc to run everything, except for making backup ISOs of course. And I didn't ONCE push the eject button on the Tray...well, maybe to put the PSone disc IN, but once it's in there you don't need to do much else after that.

2. I'll say this again, once you get LauncherELF on the Exploit, stuff like USB and other things can run easily and transfer easily onto PS2...even things like the Playstation SNES emulator among other ELFs. This also means that via USB you can transfer gamesaves easily from USB to memory card. I forget the official PS2 save file extension, but you can view it with LauncherELF's file browser.

3. I've heard ways of compressing ISOs onto the drive to save space, but I haven't tried it as of yet, but since a lot of the backups I plan on installing are import shmups, that probabaly won't be an issue, most shmups take about a half hour or 20 minutes to install as they are usually 1 GB in size.

4. I used the HDLoader Patch, but there are other Loader ELFs out there worth trying. And NONE of which require a Modchip or disc swapping...which is the whole point of this thread, oxtsu!!!

Final comment:

Working ISOs on my Drive:

ESPGaluda
Raiden III
Guilty Gear X2
Guilty Gear XX Slash
Berserk: Dark Chapter of the Millenium Falcon
Super Robot Taisen Alpha 3

I have yet to try and install Gradius V as I've heard that has had problems, but I'll inform you guys of any developments.

Edit: Also, for no reason WHATSOEVER try and connect to ADNS for Online gaming via an exploit, you will not be allowed to play...and you may get in trouble...no official disc = no online game...simple huh!!!
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

Sweet! I'm to the point where I've got the exploit loaded, I just need to get a HDD. Best Buy has a 160GB Seagate for $59.

Just out of curiosity, does this setup allow you to load PS1 images to the HDD?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

jpolz wrote: Just out of curiosity, does this setup allow you to load PS1 images to the HDD?
PS1 games will not play off the HDD.
Blade

Post by Blade »

You'd think there would be some kind of PSone Loader or something.
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

2. Merciful Peacemaker
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Blade wrote:I have yet to try and install Gradius V as I've heard that has had problems, but I'll inform you guys of any developments.
My PAL version works great on HD.
Blade wrote:You'd think there would be some kind of PSone Loader or something.
I've heard that the same chip that is responsible for the PS1 emulation is used for HD access.
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

Michaelm wrote:
I've heard that the same chip that is responsible for the PS1 emulation is used for HD access.
The processor that acted as the main CPU in the PS1 is the I/O controller in the PS2, so it handles the HD, USB, controllers, etc....
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

Sucess!!

I got my hands on a 120GB Seagate HDD today. Since I wanted to use for imports, I hooked it up to my PC via IDE cable before I even installed it in my PS2. I used WinHIIP to format the drive and then used it tranfer my import games. They all seem to work just fine! My working list so far:

DoDonPachi Dai-ou-jou
Ibara
Psyvariar 2: Ultimate Final
Shienryu Explosion

and my domestic stuff.....

Gradius V
Metal Slug 4/5
Tekken 5

I ripping my domestic games right now directly using HDLoader.

Good times!
Blade

Post by Blade »

jpolz wrote:
Michaelm wrote:
The processor that acted as the main CPU in the PS1 is the I/O controller in the PS2, so it handles the HD, USB, controllers, etc....
That most likely explains why the Exploit only works when you use official PSone black-sided discs.

2. Merciful Peacemaker
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

Just an update....

Mushihimesama, Giga Wing Generations, & Espgaluda all work too! (loaded via HDL_Dumb over LAN connection)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Whoa...how did you get Psyvariar 2: Ultimate Final to work!?

2. Merciful Peacemaker
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

Blade wrote:Whoa...how did you get Psyvariar 2: Ultimate Final to work!?
I installed it with WinHIIP with my HDD connected to my PC via IDE cable. Plus I'm also using the lastest version of HDLoader (v.07e), but I believe it worked under v.07c as well.

WinHIIP seems to work the best when loading imports, the only problem is you have to connect via USB or IDE, no networking yet.
antron

Post by antron »

jpolz wrote:
Blade wrote:Whoa...how did you get Psyvariar 2: Ultimate Final to work!?
I installed it with WinHIIP with my HDD connected to my PC via IDE cable. Plus I'm also using the lastest version of HDLoader (v.07e), but I believe it worked under v.07c as well.

WinHIIP seems to work the best when loading imports, the only problem is you have to connect via USB or IDE, no networking yet.
i could not get it to work with 0.7c
but great news about 0.7e!
Blade

Post by Blade »

It seems that little by little the HDLoader Patch is getting better. Looking forward to when they figure out how to play PSone titles if ever.

2. Merciful Peacemaker
Never_Scurred

Post by Never_Scurred »

Anyone else here do the tissue and tape mod for the slimlines?
When used in conjunction with the Swap Discs, its butter. took all of 6 minutes to do. You'll void your warranty but you'd do that anyway if you are going the mod route.
Word of advice, don't get the magic keys.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I have the Magic Switch, and with some tape, it worked wonders. And didn't void my warranty. Why avoid the Magic Keys, Scurred?

Also, Mushihime Sama plays without sound on any HDLoader. Anyone got any info on how to fix?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

Specineff wrote:I have the Magic Switch, and with some tape, it worked wonders. And didn't void my warranty. Why avoid the Magic Keys, Scurred?

Also, Mushihime Sama plays without sound on any HDLoader. Anyone got any info on how to fix?
Try maybe the UDMA or MDMA mode HDLoader? I think the sound works fine on mine? No sound during the menus, but once the game stats, everything sounds fine??
Never_Scurred

Post by Never_Scurred »

Specineff wrote:I have the Magic Switch, and with some tape, it worked wonders. And didn't void my warranty. Why avoid the Magic Keys, Scurred?

Its that 3rd key(the one that fits in the left side hinge) that gives people the most trouble. It looks easy when you see a video of it but its damn near (well pretty much) a pain in the ass trying to get that piece in without breaking or bending it.
rolins

Post by rolins »

Never_Scurred wrote:

Its that 3rd key(the one that fits in the left side hinge) that gives people the most trouble. It looks easy when you see a video of it but its damn near (well pretty much) a pain in the ass trying to get that piece in without breaking or bending it.
I think he's talking about tool A which fits in the bottom right corner. The adhesive that comes with it isn't strong enough. I had to put scotch tape over it to hold mine in place.
PC Engine Fan X!

A real Japanese PS2 console to play PS2 shmup imports...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Or one could just buy a Japanese Bios PS2 console and not have to bother with such modchips or HDD setups route. That's another possible way to play those cool Japanese PS2 shmup imports. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Never_Scurred

Re: A real Japanese PS2 console to play PS2 shmup imports...

Post by Never_Scurred »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Or one could just buy a Japanese Bios PS2 console and not have to bother with such modchips or HDD setups route. That's another possible way to play those cool Japanese PS2 shmup imports. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Quoted for truth.....

....if you have the funds :wink:
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Specineff wrote:Also, Mushihime Sama plays without sound on any HDLoader. Anyone got any info on how to fix?
I remember there being a game that didn't have sound output through digital out. I had to switch to analog sound to hear the sound.
Could be something totaly different with you but it might be worth checking it out.