I'm sick and Tired of Swap Magic and Mod Chips!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Blade

I'm sick and Tired of Swap Magic and Mod Chips!

Post by Blade »

Okay, so maybe the simple solution would be to either get an Import PS2 or wait and get a PS3 but...I ain't got that kind of money...besides, I have yet to capitalize on the usefulness of PS2 anyway.

Firstly, I've been reading these two Articles:

http://members.cox.net/awoolcott/HDLoaderImportFAQ.htm

http://www.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_how-to-use.htm

Now my question is this, considering that I own a bunch of imports and whatnot, wouldn't it be reasonable if I used something like Alcohol 120% and put the ISOs on my comp's hard drive and then just transferred the games directly to my (as of yet I have to get) HDD? The ISOs would be playable off the HDD, right?

Also, what would be the most recommended HDD software I could use for such things? And where could I get them?
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
rolins

Post by rolins »

I thought about using my external hhd for playing PS2 isos, but I have a slim PS2 and the only product out there for this is USBExtreme. I changed my mind about buying cause compatibility stinks and I went thru forums finding people tearing their hair out cause it doesn't work.

I have read at some forums that running games off the hhd on a non-slim PS2 are much easier than a slim PS2. I can't confirm this but seems like general consensus. So if you have one those non-slim PS2 I say try it.

I went ahead and purchased Magic Swap with the Magic Switch tools yesterday. It will be a week before it arrives. I hope it works on my system cause I want to play DDP: DOJ and ESPGaluda so badly.
Last edited by rolins on Tue May 09, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAM

Post by SAM »

rolins wrote:I went ahead and purchased Magic Swap with the Magic Switch tools yesterday. It will be a week before it arrives. I hope works on my system cause I play DDP: DOJ and ESPGaluda so badly.
I think just DDP: DOJ and ESPGaluda alone is worth the purchase of a Japanese PS2, since even GaijinPunch favour the PS2 version over the PCBs for these two ports.

A bare PCB of DDP: DOJ / ESPGaluda worth 35,000 yen each currently. :o A Japanese PS2 plus the two games would cost you less than half of that. :o

I think this a great deal. :o
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
TalkingOctopus

Re: I'm sick and Tired of Swap Magic and Mod Chips!

Post by TalkingOctopus »

Blade wrote:Okay, so maybe the simple solution would be to either get an Import PS2 or wait and get a PS3 but...I ain't got that kind of money...besides, I have yet to capitalize on the usefulness of PS2 anyway.

Firstly, I've been reading these two Articles:

http://members.cox.net/awoolcott/HDLoaderImportFAQ.htm

http://www.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_how-to-use.htm

Now my question is this, considering that I own a bunch of imports and whatnot, wouldn't it be reasonable if I used something like Alcohol 120% and put the ISOs on my comp's hard drive and then just transferred the games directly to my (as of yet I have to get) HDD? The ISOs would be playable off the HDD, right?

Also, what would be the most recommended HDD software I could use for such things? And where could I get them?
That's exactly how I play all my imports. It is a pain to get the game on the hard drive, but once it's there it works nicely.

First, you need to get a version of hdloader. Ideally, you'd put the patched version on a memory card and load it using the ps1 exploit. See this site for details: http://www.ps2hd.com/forums/faq.php?faq ... exploit002 .

On the computer side, you need winhiip to transfer images from your computer hard drive to the ps2 hard drive. Get it here: http://winhiip.ps2hd.com/

I think there are many options to make the ps2 images. I use the ISO recorder power tool. http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
antron

Re: I'm sick and Tired of Swap Magic and Mod Chips!

Post by antron »

TalkingOctopus wrote:
I think there are many options to make the ps2 images.
winhipp can rip directly from the CD/DVD
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

One word of caution, though. Once you format your HDD to work on the PS2, it will not like to be set as the slave on the primary channel on some computers. That's right. The thing might develop a mind of its own and not be detected unless is mounted as master. I have to rip the iso to my main HDD, disconnect the CD Rom, and put the PS2 HDD as master there. Other than that, it's all smooth. Note that I said some. Not all the HDDs will become as picky as mine.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

Specineff wrote:One word of caution, though. Once you format your HDD to work on the PS2, it will not like to be set as the slave on the primary channel on some computers. That's right. The thing might develop a mind of its own and not be detected unless is mounted as master. I have to rip the iso to my main HDD, disconnect the CD Rom, and put the PS2 HDD as master there. Other than that, it's all smooth. Note that I said some. Not all the HDDs will become as picky as mine.
I don't have that problem. Do you remove the jumper that sets the hard drive to master before connecting it to your computer?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Yes, of course. And then the computer refuses to recognize any drive. The PS2 drive throws a fit and interrupts the whole process. Some other people have reported similar problems, but fortunately seems to be the minority.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

Specineff wrote:Yes, of course. And then the computer refuses to recognize any drive. The PS2 drive throws a fit and interrupts the whole process. Some other people have reported similar problems, but fortunately seems to be the minority.
Just making sure. It probably depends on the hard drive/motherboard combo.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Not really related to the HDAdvance topic, but what's so bad about mod chips? I think they're pretty convenient.
elvis

Post by elvis »

iatneH wrote:Not really related to the HDAdvance topic, but what's so bad about mod chips? I think they're pretty convenient.
I also use modchips, but I bought my PS2 second hand (ie: no warranty).

Assuming a person buys their PS2 brand new, modchips void warranties. Also it can be argued that modchips promote piracy, which is a concern for some. Although the counter-argument there is that Sony have finally released a console without region control (ie: PS3) in a bid to kill of mod chips. So in an arse-about way, piracy has helped we import gamers finally get what we've all wanted for so long. :)
rolins

Post by rolins »

elvis wrote:
iatneH wrote:Not really related to the HDAdvance topic, but what's so bad about mod chips? I think they're pretty convenient.
I also use modchips, but I bought my PS2 second hand (ie: no warranty).

Assuming a person buys their PS2 brand new, modchips void warranties. Also it can be argued that modchips promote piracy, which is a concern for some. Although the counter-argument there is that Sony have finally released a console without region control (ie: PS3) in a bid to kill of mod chips. So in an arse-about way, piracy has helped we import gamers finally get what we've all wanted for so long. :)
Wait...the PS3 is going to be region-free?
TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

I agree. They are. However, I am reluctant to do the installation myself. Soldering the ps2 mod chip looks scary. Also, hdloader provides some additional benefits like reducing load times and the need to swap discs. The downside to hdloader is some compatibility problems.
Blade

Post by Blade »

My main issue with Modchips is that they have a habit of shortening the playing life of my Console...I modchipped my PSX years ago and for one reason or another the system just overheated and the bearings that held most discs in place just didn't really work anymore, maybe it was the age of the system, or the age of the discs or a combination.

Actually the main reason I want to use HDD is because I'm sick of dealing with Scratched discs and the all-annoying message "Disc Read Error" when I clean the lense, I clean the disc, and still get the problem, my Swap Magic Boot CD (the boot DVD works fine) just doesn't work properly anymore.
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

2. Merciful Peacemaker
elvis

Post by elvis »

rolins wrote:Wait...the PS3 is going to be region-free?
Yup.

Technically speaking the XBox 360 is also region free, but the developers may include region-encoding at a software level. Currently the split between region-free and non-region-free on Xbox 360 is about 50/50 from what I read around the place (I don't own one, so I wouldn't know).

Sony have announced the PS3 will be 100% region free, but that could mean anything. I'm not putting money on it until it's released and we see the real deal. (Sony announced dual HDMI output on all PS3 consoles which was proven false at E3 yesterday).

Putting on my speculation hat for a moment, it's pretty clear that Sony hate modchippers. Modchips are perfectly legal in countries like Germany and Australia where there are no draconian DMCA laws, and where the legal system deems that an end user may do anything they please with a console after purchase as long as they understand they also void their warranty doing so (if I want to buy a PS2 to play it, mod it, or smash it with a hammer, that's my legal right here in Australia).

PIRACY is not legal. But currently modding a PS2 console to play import titles is. Mod chips can be bought and sold 100% legally here for just that reason (our country also does not follow Hollywood/corporate-imposed region control restrictions - I may buy movies/music/games from any country I like and play them locally as long as all copyright laws are met).

So, Sony hate modchippers because it promotes piracy. Modchips are legal in some countries but ONLY to remove region encoding. What do Sony do? Make all their consoles region free (for games - no movie region free details have been announced), thus destroying any legal loopholes for modchippers to fall back on.

Again, entirely speculation as to WHY Sony have chosen that path, but one that makes the most financial/corporate sense to them. Import gamers are only a small market, and local reseller "losses" will be far less to import gamers than to piracy. It's the lesser of two financial evils.

But again, this is all making the gross assumption that Sony are telling the truth, and that they will in fact be keeping their word (something that seems quite difficult for them recently).
Blade

Post by Blade »

Okay so, I'm told that in order to get anything done really I need HDLoader/HDAdvance installed on the HDD as well as to manually plug the HDD into the back of my computer using some kind of Jumper Wire....

OH GOD HELP ME! I've never messed with Comp Hardware before! I don't want to damage my PC!

Unless anyone knows of a way to Install the necessary apps via CD/DVD for turning my HDD into a Server and the right connection wires to use?

I'm a total noob regarding this stuff.

2. Merciful Peacemaker
rolins

Post by rolins »

Aren't you suppose to put your HDD in an enclosure case? If it was you'd only have to connect your HDD to the USB ports instead of opening your PC.
TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

Okay so, I'm told that in order to get anything done really I need HDLoader/HDAdvance installed on the HDD as well as to manually plug the HDD into the back of my computer using some kind of Jumper Wire....
Not quite. HDLoader is what the ps2 loads to access the hard drive. The retail version of HDLoader is a dvd you put in your ps2. The patched version of HDLoader you put onto your ps2 memory card. The patched version is an updated version of the retail has various fixes.

You only have to connect the ps2 hard drive to your computer when installing import games. Otherwise, you can use hdloader and your ps2 to install them.
rolins wrote:Aren't you suppose to put your HDD in an enclosure case? If it was you'd only have to connect your HDD to the USB ports instead of opening your PC.
You can do that too. You still have to remove the hd from the ps2 and put it in the enclosure, but at least you don't have to open up your computer. I think something like this would work. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817145342
Blade

Post by Blade »

Okay, so which is better, HDLoader or HDAdvance? I've heard better things of HDAdvance.

Also, I've got a Pro Action Replay with Pen Drive, so I can use the Pen Drive to Install the Independence Exploit onto my Memory Card that way. I just haven't quite figured out what all files are needed to put the save together.

Is it possible for someone to draw me a diagram of what the back of my PC's Master/Slave Jumper setup most likely looks like? I'll feel like I'm trying to diffuse a bomb, but at least I'll know a little more about what I'm doing?

I honestly would really like to avoid messing with my Hardware in the back, as I have zero experience with it. If it's the only way to get my Imports to play on my PS2 outside of Swap Magic (I do have Swap Magic Slide Card and the DVD for Swap Magic is working, just that the CD Swap Magic is scratched and not working).

2. Merciful Peacemaker
TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

HDAdvance is a skinned version of the retail hdloader. The best option is the patched hdloader with the independence exploit because it has the best compatibility with games. Otherwise, either retail hdloader or hdadvance is fine.

See this site for your questions about computers:
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/in ... -drive.htm
It might be a little intimidating at first, but it really shouldn't be too hard. You just have to connect a few cables.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Oh! And you mentioned this. Does this work with an official PS2 HDD do you suppose? If it does I'd like to get it so I don't have to mess with the back of my PC and just use USB.

2. Merciful Peacemaker
TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

Blade wrote:Oh! And you mentioned this. Does this work with an official PS2 HDD do you suppose? If it does I'd like to get it so I don't have to mess with the back of my PC and just use USB.
Yes. It will work. I just posted that as an example. You might want to browse newegg and look at the alternatives. They might be cheaper. Also, the one I lined to had this comment:
Cons: This enclosure is meant to be put together once and not taken apart. I would NOT suggest swapping out drives often if not ever at all. make sure the drive works properly before it is put together
So it would probably be best to get another model. Newegg is a great place to order from though.
Blade

Post by Blade »

So what other reasonable models are there that might be better suited for quick connecting, FTPing and disconnecting?

2. Merciful Peacemaker
Blade

Post by Blade »

So I thought I'd give you guys a NICE BIG UPDATE as to how I'm doing with this HDD Business...

Well IT WORKED! And I didn't even have to take out my HDD from my PS2!

I basically created/installed the exploit via Pro Action Replay Max with the USB Pen Drive as a Max file that I uncrushed to my Memory Card. After that I used the program called "LauncherELF" to copy/paste two additional ELF programs (ELF is like .exe in PS2 language) via USB into a partitioned section of my HDD for storing ELF files. The first program was used to make that partition folder, the second was a Server program that lets my computer Remote-Link to my HDD if I connect via the PS2's IP address. And of course, lastly I installed HDLoader Patched. With all that and my comp/PS2 wired together, I managed to upload my ISOs to my HDD, and both imports are definitely working!

The best part about all this is...I never once had to hit the eject button to play either of the games, I didn't even have to put a disc anywhere. It was awesome.

2. Merciful Peacemaker
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

If you happen to succeed in getting Raiden III on HD please let me know how you did it cause mine immediatly gives me an error when I try to put it on HD .
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Michaelm wrote:If you happen to succeed in getting Raiden III on HD please let me know how you did it cause mine immediatly gives me an error when I try to put it on HD .
I had no problems putting my Raiden III on ,y HD. I am using the latest HDLoader to play it (I believe its version 0.7c). I used Winhiip to transfer it to the HD.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Dave_K. wrote:
Michaelm wrote:If you happen to succeed in getting Raiden III on HD please let me know how you did it cause mine immediatly gives me an error when I try to put it on HD .
I had no problems putting my Raiden III on ,y HD. I am using the latest HDLoader to play it (I believe its version 0.7c). I used Winhiip to transfer it to the HD.
Ah Thanks ! I kept on using different versions of HDLoader. It never crossed my mind to try Winhiip and it's different approach.
Blade

Post by Blade »

What's really nice though, is that Shmups actually don't take up that much space on the HDD. Fun times will be had. ^_^

2. Merciful Peacemaker
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Sorry for hijacking this thread but Dave_K.'s tip really helped me out.
I now have Raiden III and GRadius III & IV working on HD :)

I still have Chou Aniki which doesn't work with my Matrix Infinity and HDLoader 0.7c. Is there anybody who got this game to boot from HD with the same modchip ?
Thanks !
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

Blade wrote:What's really nice though, is that Shmups actually don't take up that much space on the HDD. Fun times will be had. ^_^
I'm very interested in this. But I do have several questions:

-Can you use any type/size/speed of HDD?
-Can you use the an external HDD connected to the PS2 via USB, or odes it have to be the "PS2 HDD"
-It does play import games with no further modification?

Maybe a write-up if your feeling up to it?