Thinking about getting a Duo

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fighter17
Banned User

Thinking about getting a Duo

Post by Fighter17 »

I just sold my Modded Saturn, and with saving a lot of money and such, I can get a Japanese Duo.

Which Duo last the longest (before it starts to have problems)?

How much does the JP Duo cost (orginal, R and RX)?

I have more questions, but I can't think of any right now.

Thanks.
SAM

Re: Thinking about getting a Duo

Post by SAM »

Fighter17 wrote:I just sold my Modded Saturn, and with saving a lot of money and such, I can get a Japanese Duo.
"Sold the Saturn to Buy a Duo" doesn't sound a good idea to me. :?

The Duo is an older and less powerful system then the Saturn. I mean less powerful in handling 2D. :?

2D games hardware requirements is not very high, that a Saturn might powerful enough to handle many 2D games which were release on modern console. But for the Duo, that might be another story. :o

Is there many Duo games that you are longed to play? If so, this might be a good decision for you. But bare in mind that the Duo games cost even more than Saturn games nowadays. :(

It might be a better to spend the money on a DreamCast/PlayStation 2 (I won't say Saturn since you had just sold it.) OR new games of console you own. :wink:
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

SAM wrote:
Fighter17 wrote:I just sold my Modded Saturn, and with saving a lot of money and such, I can get a Japanese Duo.
"Sold the Saturn to Buy a Duo" doesn't sound a good idea to me. :?

The Duo is an older and less powerful system then the Saturn. I mean less powerful in handling 2D. :?

2D games hardware requirements is not very high, that a Saturn might powerful enough to handle many 2D games which were release on modern console. But for the Duo, that might be another story. :o

Is there many Duo games that you are longed to play? If so, this might be a good decision for you. But bare in mind that the Duo games cost even more than Saturn games nowadays. :(

It might be a better to spend the money on a DreamCast/PlayStation 2 (I won't say Saturn since you had just sold it.) OR new games of console you own. :wink:
They are many games that I want to buy for the Duo. Hardware doesn't mean shit to me at all, it's the games that counts. ;)

I found Duo CD-ROM games to cost as much as import Saturn games. I have a Dreamcast, but I have no interst in it as of right now, and same for the PS2.
rolins

Post by rolins »

The PC-Engine is a shooters gallery and some the best 2d action your'll find on any system. Make sure it's a Duo-R or a Duo-RX b/c those models tend to have the least of problems. The Black Duos (jpn and US models) usually suffer from the redbook audio problem more often, but usually are easier to get.

I don't recommend buying black Duos from Japangamestock. Bought two console from them, and they all ended having audio problems. Your best bet is ebay (overly priced) or posting a WTB at pcenginefx.com forum or here.

You also might want to ask D-Lite, who's well known in the TG16/PCE community for selling modded Duos. He sometimes sells modded consoles at his website but doesn't always update them. His site is http://www.multimods.com
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

rolins wrote:The PC-Engine is a shooters gallery and some the best 2d action your'll find on any system. Make sure it's a Duo-R or a Duo-RX b/c those models tend to have the least of problems. The Black Duos (jpn and US models) usually suffer from the redbook audio problem more often, but usually are easier to get.

I don't recommend buying black Duos from Japangamestock. Bought two console from them, and they all ended having audio problems. Your best bet is ebay (overly priced) or posting a WTB at pcenginefx.com forum or here.

You also might want to ask D-Lite, who's well known in the TG16/PCE community for selling modded Duos. He sometimes sells modded consoles at his website but doesn't always update them. His site is http://www.multimods.com
Thanks, I may not get a DUO, but one of those Super CD-ROM2 units attached to a HuCard system. Any problems with those?
elvis

Post by elvis »

SAM wrote:"Sold the Saturn to Buy a Duo" doesn't sound a good idea to me. :?

I expected more from you. That post is very disappointing.

Console power has nothing to do with how good or bad games are. Never has, never will. As mentioned, the PC Engine / Turbo Duo has one of the biggest libraries of great shmups on the planet, and is well worth the purchase.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

elvis wrote:As mentioned, the PC Engine / Turbo Duo has one of the biggest libraries of great shmups on the planet, and is well worth the purchase.
Not one of, but the biggest shmup library. With 60+ hu-card and 40+ CD/SCD/ACD shmups the Duo easily triumphs over any other console as far as quantity goes. For someone who enjoys the 8-bit/16-bit era of shmups it's a great purchase.

I have a Duo-R myself (and the original PCE as well) and it's served me well over the years.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

Ghegs wrote:
elvis wrote:As mentioned, the PC Engine / Turbo Duo has one of the biggest libraries of great shmups on the planet, and is well worth the purchase.
Not one of, but the biggest shmup library. With 60+ hu-card and 40+ CD/SCD/ACD shmups the Duo easily triumphs over any other console as far as quantity goes. For someone who enjoys the 8-bit/16-bit era of shmups it's a great purchase.

I have a Duo-R myself (and the original PCE as well) and it's served me well over the years.
Good, but right now I have little now to buy a Duo or a Super CD-ROM2 system with the HuCard slot (and it want to get it right now). :(
rolins

Post by rolins »

Fighter17 wrote: Thanks, I may not get a DUO, but one of those Super CD-ROM2 units attached to a HuCard system. Any problems with those?
The Core Grafx with the SuperCD attatchment are just as prone to the problems of the Duo/R/RX.

It's just the Duo-R and Duo-RX are more reliabe because its design solves the overheating issue of the original Duo models.

Also SuperCD unit that you're asking for is sometimes high priced on ebay and quite fragile. Thanks to bastard ebay sellers, its rare to find a unboxed SuperCD unit for under $100.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

rolins wrote:
Fighter17 wrote: Thanks, I may not get a DUO, but one of those Super CD-ROM2 units attached to a HuCard system. Any problems with those?
The Core Grafx with the SuperCD attatchment are just as prone to the problems of the Duo/R/RX.

It's just the Duo-R and Duo-RX are more reliabe because its design solves the overheating issue of the original Duo models.

Also SuperCD unit that you're asking for is sometimes high priced on ebay and quite fragile. Thanks to bastard ebay sellers, its rare to find a unboxed SuperCD unit for under $100.
D-Lite is selling two of them with one on the orginal white HuCard system for $140 shipped and the one on the Core Grafx II for $160 shipped (both unboxxed).
rolins

Post by rolins »

Better to get it with the Core Grafx II just so the colors match with the SuperCD unit.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

rolins wrote:Better to get it with the Core Grafx II just so the colors match with the SuperCD unit.
I know, but I'm happy enough with the white on grey units.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I'm also thinking of (eventually) picking up a PCE-CD compatible setup, but I am confused about the SuperCD-ROM units. I already have a CoreGrafx 1, but can the SCD unit be connected to it without using the Interface Unit? And then I know that I'll need the various system cards to play certain games later on..
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

I have a US Duo myself and I've never had an issue with it in over 7 years. Of course, I baby the hell out of it :) I also have a PCE Duo (black one) but I've only used it a couple times just to test it.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

iatneH wrote:I'm also thinking of (eventually) picking up a PCE-CD compatible setup, but I am confused about the SuperCD-ROM units. I already have a CoreGrafx 1, but can the SCD unit be connected to it without using the Interface Unit? And then I know that I'll need the various system cards to play certain games later on..
If you have a CoreGrafx 1, you can get either the CD-ROM2 unit (the white CD-ROM drive that has the Interface unit, like here:

But, you need to have a System Card in order to use the CD-ROM drive. Many people get the Super System Card 3.0 so they can play all Super CD-ROM and CD-ROM games. Some people also get the Arcade Card Pro (for other PCE units, not for Duos), and that will play any CD-ROM games out there!

OR try to get the Super CD-ROM2 drive, like this:

Unlike the CD-ROM2 units, this unit has the Super System Card 3.0 built in (so you don't need the System System Card at all). Beware that the Syper CD-ROM2 drives cost a lot of money because of ebay, so be careful. With this unit, it can play just about any game except the Arcade Pro games (requires the Arcade Pro card, not for Duos).
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

OK, that's some useful information. What about the US CD-ROM systems (like ones ripped out of a TG-16 briefcase setup)? Can these also interface with Japanese CoreGrafx in the same way? I might have heard that the CD systems are not region-locked, only the HuCARD components are...
SAM

Post by SAM »

elvis wrote:
SAM wrote:"Sold the Saturn to Buy a Duo" doesn't sound a good idea to me. :?

I expected more from you. That post is very disappointing.
I am sorry, I think I had been spoiled by the era of acrade perfact ports. :oops:
elvis wrote:Console power has nothing to do with how good or bad games are. Never has, never will. As mentioned, the PC Engine / Turbo Duo has one of the biggest libraries of great shmups on the planet, and is well worth the purchase.
I know this of cause. In fact the PC Engine is one of the game console I longed for since childhood.... :o I just don't got a chance to acquire back then. (When it is first came out, I don't got chance to acquire a game console. When I finally do PC Engine and it's game is disappeard from most of the local game store. :( )

Nowadays a good PC Engine games easily costs $70 to $150 :? , which had reach the price of a fairly good PCB :? .

PCBs like:
Strikers 1945 I II III, Gunbird 1 2, Battle Garegga, Battle Bakraid, V.V, Dogyuun, DDP, Dangun Feveron, ESP Ra.De., etc
...are all lay within this range. :shock:

What I want to say is I missed the chance back then and it's now too far away from me. :cry:
iatneH wrote:I'm also thinking of (eventually) picking up a PCE-CD compatible setup, but I am confused about the SuperCD-ROM units.
Me too, I would (eventually) pick one up when it's price become more reasonable. :o

I am now playing full attention to this thread, so guys please explain more in details. :)
rolins

Post by rolins »

iatneH wrote:OK, that's some useful information. What about the US CD-ROM systems (like ones ripped out of a TG-16 briefcase setup)? Can these also interface with Japanese CoreGrafx in the same way? I might have heard that the CD systems are not region-locked, only the HuCARD components are...
Correct the CD-player is the only thing not region-locked on any of the systems. So you can play CD, SCD, ACD formats on any US and Japan systems (with the right system card or arcade card).

For everyone who's confused on what you need check the NEC compatibility guide.

http://pcenginefx.com/main/nec_compatibility_guide.html

-
CIT

Post by CIT »

My advice is to buy a Duo-R.

This is the simplest, most hassle free setup, and also has the best cost/benefit ratio.

Often people think, since these systems are pretty expensive, they will buy a PC-Engine core first, and then upgrade with an Interface Unit oder Super CD-Rom2 system later, but actually you end up paying more that way in the end, and getting older and more delicate hardware.

The Duo-R has a better reputation than the regular Duo for not fritzing out on people, and the only upgrade you may (or may not) ever need is the $25 Arcade Card Duo.

I can also recommend a Duo-RX, but they're almost always more expensive. You'll be very lucky to find one for the price of a Duo-R.

Some corrections:
Fighter17 wrote:Beware that the Syper CD-ROM2 drives cost a lot of money because of ebay, so be careful. With this unit, it can play just about any game except the Arcade Pro games (requires the Arcade Pro card, not for Duos).
The Super CD-Rom2 system only requires the Arcade Card Duo, since System 3.0 is already installed in the machine.

Only the interface unit requires the more expensive Arcade Card Pro.
rolins wrote:Correct the CD-player is the only thing not region-locked on any of the systems. So you can play CD, SCD, ACD formats on any US and Japan systems (with the right system card or arcade card).
In order to play Arcade Card games on a US CD-System you WILL need a Hu-Card converter, since there is no US-version of the Arcade Card.
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

i think the pce is not very good for shmups now (dated), except maybe horiz. but its excellent for platform/action games, some of my all time faves on that system, especially on cdrom.

my tip would be a supergrafx with super cd-rom attachment, for the most flexibility (unless you dont like 1941 or Ghouls n Ghosts). but keep in mind this set up has problems w/playing the following :

Rayxanber III cdrom (hangs stage 2)
Space Harrier hucard (doesnt work at all)
Altered Beast CD rom (but it will work if you plug in the Super System Card V 1.0)

plays all other games (and ive tried most, trust me) :wink:

ive never tried a Duo. but a Core Grafx with Super CD rom attachment is great also (same as above except you cant play supergrax games, but Space Harrier and Rayxanber III WILL work) :D .

ive never had a problem with reliability of either of the systems ive mentioned, and the super cd-rom add-on seems very robust, mines still going strong.
different story for the sega mega cd 1 though :evil:
rolins

Post by rolins »

CIT wrote:
rolins wrote:Correct the CD-player is the only thing not region-locked on any of the systems. So you can play CD, SCD, ACD formats on any US and Japan systems (with the right system card or arcade card).
In order to play Arcade Card games on a US CD-System you WILL need a Hu-Card converter, since there is no US-version of the Arcade Card.
Or just buy a TG16 or Turbo Duo and region mod it, cheaper than buying a $100 converter.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

The complete region mod is complicated since US and JP HuCARDs are not pin-compatible.

But I was basically asking if a region mod would be necessary for a US CDROM unit + JP CoreGrafx combo, if this combination would even work.
rolins

Post by rolins »

iatneH wrote:The complete region mod is complicated since US and JP HuCARDs are not pin-compatible.

But I was basically asking if a region mod would be necessary for a US CDROM unit + JP CoreGrafx combo, if this combination would even work.
AFAIK you can't connect a U.S CD-ROM unit to a Jpn CoreGrafx. I don't know, I've never heard of anyone trying it. Also, getting a CoreGrafx region modded is more way more difficult than a TG16 because of the limited space and trying to finding a 8PDT switch small enough to fit.
elvis

Post by elvis »

SAM wrote:I am sorry, I think I had been spoiled by the era of acrade perfact ports. :oops:
Yeah, I understand where you are coming from. But there's still some serious brilliance on PCE, arcade perfect or not. And I know that you know that. :)

I've been considering a PCE purchase for some time, but I think instead I'll just hang out for the Nintendo Wii instead. Nintendo have announced that there will be licensed PCE games hitting the Wii "virtual console" service. What those games are, I have no idea. But I'm excited all the same. Plenty of quality RPGs and shmups, Im hoping! :D
SAM

Post by SAM »

elvis wrote:Nintendo have announced that there will be licensed PCE games hitting the Wii "virtual console" service. What those games are, I have no idea. But I'm excited all the same. Plenty of quality RPGs and shmups, Im hoping! :D
What?! :D I thought those "virtual console" are just old Famicom/SFC games... :o

If there are PCE games, it would be real cool. (Very exacited) :D
elvis

Post by elvis »

SAM wrote:What?! :D I thought those "virtual console" are just old Famicom/SFC games... :o

If there are PCE games, it would be real cool. (Very exacited) :D
Nintendo have confirmed games appearing from the following consoles:

GameBoy / GameBoy Color
Famicom / NES
Super Famicom / SNES
Sega MegaDrive / Genesis
PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16

They have not confirmed WHICH games will appear. So far it has been pointed out that Microsoft now own Rare, and thus own all their copyrights. That means titles from Rare Inc will very likely not hit virtual console. ie: The Donkey Kong Country titles, Killer Instinct, Golden Eye, etc. Not that I care, because all those titles were very sub-standard IMHO.

I'm assuming the appearance of games for starters will be on a per company basis. ie: only 100% Nintendo owned/licensed games, 100% Sega, 100% Hudson, etc. Hopefully if these are successful enough we'll see other companies jump on the bandwagon and approve re-releases of old games later on down the track.

Legal ROMs! This is a dream come true for me. I've been ranting for some time now about the complete lack of legal options for retro gamers, and finally someone's listened.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Um, DKC will undoubtedly be on the Wii since Nintendo owns all things DK, including DKC.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

To return to the original discussion: A Duo/R/RX has another advantage: It has built-in battery backup so you can save your scores and games. Most CD games take advantage of this as do some HU-cards (like Coryoon and Parasol Stars). For a Core Grafx you'd have to purchase a separate Ten no Koe backup unit.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i've heard a duo r is the best option, but i went with a normal duo and have had no problems whatsoever running hu's or cd's.

the only glitch i can recall is the strange audio looping on "chi no rondo"... but that's a cdr. :?
I have no sig whatsoever.
rolins

Post by rolins »

Cdr backups no matter how good should not be used on a Duo/R/RX or CD/SCD units. Leave them for emulation only. The lasers in the Duo/R/RX and CD/SCD units are not reliable with Cdrs, and places more stress on them. Iirc it actually had something do with the laser not being able to do error correction checks which is why if you use Cdrs on a Duo loading takes longer and audio skips. But the audio skips can also be due to bad burns.

Sometimes they work on some systems without problems, but eventually after prolonged use the system might not be able to play redbook audio anymore. Well, that seems the general consensus at the pcenginefx forums.

I have Duo-R thats been working for years now, and the only problem I ever get was playing backups. I tried burning them at 1x speed, correcting the image w/ a TOCfixer, and using verbatium brands. The backups works for hour on my Duo-R, then all sudden the system goes to a halt and and I can hear the cd-player grinding louder than usual. If I turn off the system and power it on again with an original copy, the system froze. The only way to fix it was to move the laser in the correct position which was nerve-racking.