Gunbird II Dreamcast

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
coolix

Gunbird II Dreamcast

Post by coolix »

From what i've read on different sites, US & JP version of Gunbird 2 on Dreamcast do not work with RGB cable. Only PAL version does.
Is this true ?
(I'm talking about the legit GD-ROM not the warez one. I know that the Echelon group had a RGB fix for the US version they released a while ago)

Thanks
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

PAL version does. Japanese version does not. I don't know whether US version does, but I think it does.
coolix

Post by coolix »

Ok thanks for your reply. I think i'll have the US version.
Another question though, Does a US game loaded on a PAL Dreamcast (with DC-X) look exactly the same as if it was running on a US Dreamcast ?
sighbee

Post by sighbee »

Japanese version plays fine through RGB!!
Have it and use RGB... artwork is nicer too.
coolix

Post by coolix »

sighbee wrote:Japanese version plays fine through RGB!!
Have it and use RGB... artwork is nicer too.
I'm confused, this is what i read on this site :
Importers should also note that the game, similarly to certain other Capcom produced titles, is RGB locked.

Is it possible that the JP game doesn't work in RGB on PAL console but does work on JP console ?
CIT

Post by CIT »

I might be wrong, but I think it's that the game doesn't work in VGA, not RGB.
SAM

Post by SAM »

CIT wrote:I might be wrong, but I think it's that the game doesn't work in VGA, not RGB.
Yes, I found game works on 15kHz RGB, but not 31kHz VGA.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

You might be thinking of Giga Wing, I think only the PAL version of that works with RGB...I'm 99 percent sure that the US version of Gunbird 2 works with it.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I've got the US version. Sam is correct, it can do 15khz RGB, but not 31khz VGA. Of course you can trick it into going 31khz, but there are lots of slowdown/bugs.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sorry. Disregard my first reply.
Eps

Post by Eps »

BulletMagnet wrote:You might be thinking of Giga Wing, I think only the PAL version of that works with RGB...I'm 99 percent sure that the US version of Gunbird 2 works with it.
I have the US version of Giga Wing, played on a region-free modded Dreamcast. It works fine with my cheapo third party VGA box.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I don't know much about all these technical terms and whatnot, but I do know that my US Gigawing won't work on my unmodded US DC when I've got it hooked up via Matt-made RGB cable...works fine with regular AV cables though.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Eps wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:You might be thinking of Giga Wing, I think only the PAL version of that works with RGB...I'm 99 percent sure that the US version of Gunbird 2 works with it.
I have the US version of Giga Wing, played on a region-free modded Dreamcast. It works fine with my cheapo third party VGA box.
I think your VGA box upscaned the image. :o Since if a DC game support VGA graphic, it stated that at the back of the game's cover.

EDIT: I took out my copy of Giga Wing, it clearly stated that it support VGA mode at the back cover. :o Might be the US version don't, since mine copy is Japanese import.
Last edited by SAM on Sun May 07, 2006 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Eps wrote:
RGB, meaning 15khz. US+JPN Gigawing doesn't support it, only PAL version.
SAM

Post by SAM »

oxtsu wrote:
Eps wrote:
So it got VGA (31kHz) but no RGB (15kHz). :?: I thought it just output interlance graphic when in RGB (15kHz) mode. :o
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Exactly. If you have an RGB cable hooked up there won't be an image at all.
SAM

Post by SAM »

oxtsu wrote:Exactly. If you have an RGB cable hooked up there won't be an image at all.
Well, I thought I would got an image like hooking up PS2 MushiHime Sama via RGB, i.e. Burr City, in stead of no image at all.

That's want I got when I hook up DC Under Defeat to my Astro City Monitor via a RGB cable. :?
Eps

Post by Eps »

oxtsu wrote:
Eps wrote:
Edit: Ah, sorry, got a touch lost with the switching between talking about Gunbird 2 and Giga Wing earlier on this thread.
Soldato J

Post by Soldato J »

My US Gigawing works with the VGA box (looks like ass)

My US Gunbird does not work with my VGA box (gotta hook up to reg tv--just like my J Bangaio)
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

SAM wrote:
Eps wrote:
I think your VGA box upscaned the image. :o Since if a DC game support VGA graphic, it stated that at the back of the game's cover.

EDIT: I took out my copy of Giga Wing, it clearly stated that it support VGA mode at the back cover. :o Might be the US version don't, since mine copy is Japanese import.
When playing DC on my VGA monitor, my copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 does this weird thing of loading up the 50/60 hertz option screen. If I select 60hertz, the screen flickers, or goes black (can't remember which). But if I leave it for about 20 secs or so, the game automatically loads up. :?

Is that also an example of a game being upscanned?