Neo geo CD vs Cartridge

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Michaelm

Neo geo CD vs Cartridge

Post by Michaelm »

Someone is selling a Neo Geo CD including Pulstar and Viewpoint and 2 other games for 150 euro.
I'm thinking about going for it but I'm not really into Neo Geo and I don't know if it would be better to get a system that uses cartridges.

Any help would be appreciated !
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

The system with those two games is a good price since each of those games should go for at least 50 Euros each (I'm guessing, might even be closer to 70 Euros each)..

Later on, the games will definitely be cheaper than the home cartridge versions, but remember that the library is much smaller, with only a handful of exclusives, and prepare for brutal load times.

With the home system, you get a big library of very very expensive games, but zero load times.

A popular alternative is to get a consolised MVS or a MVS+supergun. So you have the biggest library of cheap games, with coin-op functionality to boot.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Aha, Thanks !

I'm mostly interested in shmups for the system. Does the CD version have all the MVS has ?
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

CD does not have (I'm not sure so somebody please correct me if I am wrong) Andro Dunos, Aero Fighters 3, Blazing Star, Captain Tomaday, Prehistoric Isle 2, or Strikers 1945+, but it has an exclusive titled Choutetsu (Iron Clad) Brikin'ger.

See which ones are worth more to own, then decide which way to go.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Thanks again ! Much appreciated !

I'll be checking them out.
CIT

Post by CIT »

CD does have Aero Fighters 3/Sonic Wings 3, but one other shooter missing is Zed Blade.

It has two exclusive shooters, Choutetsu Brikinger, which is pretty damn cool but really expensive, and the shooter in ADK World which is crap.

Anyway, Pulstar is worth about €60 Viewpoint about €15, so I think it's still a good deal.

CD games often have bad loading times on Beat 'Em Ups since there are so many frames of animation that need to be processed. However, on shooters the loading times are usually very good, only Pulstar makes you wait a bit. Even Metal Slug has pretty short loading times, no longer than on Saturn.

The main advantage to Neo Geo CD is:

- Games are very cheap, especially considering that cart version of games like Pulstar and Metal Slug cost €500+ and €1200+, respectively.
- Most Soundtracks were remastered

BTW, what type of Neo Geo CD console are you being offered? A frontloader, black Toploader or grey CDZ toploader?
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

A black toploader.

Edit: accidentaly clicked submit instead of review...

I've checked out the shooters and well...I want both systems I guess.
I'm 99% sure I'm going for it, just have to sleep a night over it.
Atleast I could get the shooters that are also on the CD a bit cheaper.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Okay, the black toploader is the most durable NGCD so that's good.
The grey CDZ cuts loading times by half, but is more expensive and not as well built, and the Frontloader is just a pile of crap.

Are Ninja Commando and Cyber Lip part of the deal too?

Ninja Commando is a really fun shooter, like Commando, but better actually. Cyber Lip is the Neo Geo's Contra, not bad, but not great.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Yes they are.

Great news about those games though.
I thought they were just fighters but now they're interesting too :)
I will get it for sure now.

Thanks everybody for your quick advice and suggestions !