Dreamcast Fighting Stick problem

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
black mariah
Banned User

Dreamcast Fighting Stick problem

Post by black mariah »

I recently pickup up a new DC that included a Fighting Stick. For those that are unfamiliar, this is the original Saturn Virtua Stick (white with green buttons, not the all black one) with a convertor shoved into the case and some badges crapfully tacked onto the front. It's a great controller, but I've had issues with it randomly pausing my games. I know I'm not hitting the button accidentally since it's way up in the corner, away from the action.

Could this be the byproduct of a crappy convertor? I hope not, since a new Saturn>DC convertor will run about half what I paid for the whole damn system in the first place. :lol:
Blow up self to involve enemies.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

A bump, plus I forgot to mention that I'm having problems with the stick getting 'stuck' in one direction. It isn't physically stuck, the ship just continuously moves in one direction until you go a different way. WTF? :cry:
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

I'd bet that the pausing is due to a crappy converter. As for the directions getting stuck, you might have to open up your stick and see if the microswitches are getting stuck I suppose.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

It's the convertor and/or a bad connection. Take it out of there and/or double check that wiring is correct and it will work fine, I'm betting.

I've encountered problems exactly as you describe both with console controller convertors and with Supergun extra wiring with stock console PCB still intact. If it's some conflict between the two systems, in that case it's necessary to install a switch to toggle 'ground' between them.

Really the best way would be to remove the stock PCB, and wire directly to some universal connector. Then have the controller PCB outboard to plug into. It's only one conversion (like normal console) and way more versatile than messy console>>console convertors.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

You're saying to gut the controller, wire everything up to, for example, a molex connector, then wire a connector to the convertor so I can plug it in directly. Is that about right? Or am I misunderstanding you?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

That's basically it, yes. Except you'll not be connecting it to a convertor like the ones for console>>console. It's connecting to an actual controller PCB for whatever console you'd like to use your stick with (which is a convertor, but it's only converting the raw signal, like a normal controller would). DB-15 is a good connector to use, and the pre-made extension cables are plentiful. Of course you'll need to hack a controller PCB for every console that you'd want to use.

If you're happy with just using it for the two systems like how it is now, then maybe it's better to just buy another Saturn>>DC convertor to use normally and rip out the one that was wired in there.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

Okay, you're talking about hacking up a DC pad like it was a home mad arcade control. I follow you now. One of my controllers has a broken analog stick anyway, so it's a good candidate. Thanks for the help!
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

You're welcome, glad it was some help!

Just to remind: if you end up doing the hacked DC pad outboard/universal method, remember that the Saturn control PCB inside will have to be gutted first or else it won't function properly (needs the raw signal).
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

Random thought. How well do the X-Arcade convertors work? I can't find anything about them on here. Hrm... think I'll check SRK real quick.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

Alright, slight change of plan. The stick on this thing seems to be shot. It is, at times, getting physically stuck in one direction. Does anyone know a direct replacement, offhand (doubt it)? Dammit, I don't want to drop money on this thing that I could be saving up to get a REAL DC arcade stick with... :evil:
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Replace with Sanwa JLF-TP-xx or Seimitsu LS-55/56-01 stick. Only problem should be removing the original one since the screws are underneath the CP overlay. Also the mounting screw location aren't the same, so it's required to either drill new ones or mount the stick permanently with some industrial adhesive. The 5-pin connector will plug in directly with the models I mentioned. Also, it's my preferance to use metal washers between the stick mounting surface and bottom of the CP to subtract from the overall stick height (original stick in VS is super short like LS-32 Seimitsu: Sanwa JLF is about 10mm taller).