modding a Saturn pad - what´s the trick?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
raiden

modding a Saturn pad - what´s the trick?

Post by raiden »

so I got a Saturn back recently, and now I wanted to do the inevitable mod job to use my Neo Geo format joysticks on it. Didn´t want to sacrifice an original pad, used the 3rd party one that was included in the deal. Turns out the thing doesn´t seem to have any common ground line, so I don´t have a clue how to do the mod job, as Neo Geo format requires common ground. Is there something I´ve overlooked, does it work with original Saturn pads?
antron

Post by antron »

it works with either of the small sega controllers.
the slightly bigger one is great because the points are so accessible

the 3D (largest) one does not use a common ground.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

If you don't need any of the existing circuitry in the pad, you can just cut out the IC, and daisy-chain all the grounds together so that they become a common ground that you can use for the NeoGeo spec. If you only plan to use 3 buttons + Start, you should be able to get away with using the original cable too, just chop the plug end off and stick a DB-15 on it.

But since the cable only has 9 wires, you'll be out of luck if you want 4 buttons + start. You'll have to make your own cable with a 9-core + ground.
raiden

Post by raiden »

If you don't need any of the existing circuitry in the pad, you can just cut out the IC, and daisy-chain all the grounds together so that they become a common ground that you can use for the NeoGeo spec.
cut out the IC? How is that supposed to work with a Saturn? Take a look at this:
http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/saturn.htm
I don´t want to attach a Saturn pad to a Supergun, I want to attach a Neo Geo format joystick to a Saturn.
it works with either of the small sega controllers.
the slightly bigger one is great because the points are so accessible
ok, guess I´ll have to sacrifice an original pad, then.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Oh, sorry I understand what you're saying now.

In that case I'm not sure if daisy-chaining the grounds would work if it causes interference during multiple button presses...

Better to use the official pad then.

edit: wait... if you want, you can use the cable/plug from the 3rd party controller, and build your own circuit using this
antron

Re: modding a Saturn pad - what´s the trick?

Post by antron »

raiden wrote: Didn´t want to sacrifice an original pad, used the 3rd party one
what brand/model was it?