Street Fighter III third strike screen resolution modes

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

Street Fighter III third strike screen resolution modes

Post by D »

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamca ... 13699.html

De-interlaced
After loading the GD-ROM keep pressing the Start button + L button until the Capcom logo appears on the screen.

Low-resolution/anti-aliasing off
After loading the GD-ROM keep pressing the Start button + Y button until the Capcom logo appears on the screen.

Normal screen
After loading the GD-ROM keep pressing the Start button + X button until the Capcom logo appears on the screen.

What are each resolution modes for? Especially normal screen?
Don't you get the normal screen when you boot up without doing anything?
Which is the best? why are the other resolution there? I guess when you boot it up normally (without touching) the resolution is stretched right?
When we get this sorted out we might refer to this game in future resolution threads.
I don't know of any game that has these different display modes?
D

Post by D »

De-interlaced is the best, you will know if the code worked when you CAN'T adjust the screen size 100% - 96%, now this option is blanked out.
This is the only mode you should play ever!

Low-resolution/anti-aliasing off: I have no idea what this mode is for BLURRY mess, you needn't try it.

I still do not understand the normal screen.
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

Check out my comparison of CPS3 version and the Dreamcast version of 3rd Strike. http://candycabinetcity.com/?p=64

8)
elvis

Post by elvis »

Unfortunately the DC version of 3S is grossly inaccurate when compared with the arcade version. The PS2 version is much closer in terms of timing and gameplay.

And unfortunately, the PS2 version is only available in an interlaced mode (which sucks). But there's a very good reason why the PS2 version is the only version played at the Evolution tournaments.

So for looks, the DC wins. But for actual play, it sucks. I have both the DC and PS2 versions, and the PS2 version is the only one that gets play time.
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

Owning all 4 versions... I'd say the Dreamcast version feels just as fresh as the CPS3 version. I'd pretty positive if I had a "REAL PRO" at my place, and I didn't tell them what version they were playing. I know they wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
Neon

Post by Neon »

So which one of those is the actual 'true low res' mode?

stellarola: DC version has pretty well documented parrying problems, low res mode has pixel distortion (you'll have to find Recap to find out what the fuck that means, though).
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

Neon wrote:So which one of those is the actual 'true low res' mode?

stellarola: DC version has pretty well documented parrying problems, low res mode has pixel distortion (you'll have to find Recap to find out what the fuck that means, though).

parrying problem: I'd like to see this done in person, until then, I don't believe it. I play both CPS3 and DC versions and I parry just the same in both versions. Everyone says it's well documented...where are these documents? I want videos! :lol: :lol:

low res has pixel distortion: The Dreamcast has 3 video modes. I don't understand the "lowres" fuction in the Dreamcast mode. This is not equal to the CPS3 lowres at all. When running in "deinterlaced" mode, this is identical to the CPS3 version. So if you run the game in deinterlaced mode the horizontal res is technically 240p. Check out my site for more info.

Some things I notice in the Dreamcast and the CPS3 version...

-Dreamcast has longer load times. It takes a round about 3 seconds more to begin against the CPS3 which is instant.

-Dreamcast has a slightly different soundtrack. "Rearranged" I believe.

-Also the usual console changes, such as extra modes. Which isnt a bad thing at all

8)
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

The pictures above are of the dreamcast running in deinterlaced mode and interlaced mode.

The picture above is Ibuki running on CPS3 and Dreamcast. Can you tell the difference?

Remember both systems don't output the same brightness level, so one is slightly brighter than the other. Also the picture is of a different frame, so of course that wont be the same. As you can tell there is no pixel problems.

-Ben 8)
elvis

Post by elvis »

stellarola wrote:
Neon wrote:So which one of those is the actual 'true low res' mode?

parrying problem: I'd like to see this done in person, until then, I don't believe it. I play both CPS3 and DC versions and I parry just the same in both versions. Everyone says it's well documented...where are these documents? I want videos! :lol: :lol:
Shoryuken.com and the forums. Not only that, but anyone with at least one functioning eyeball could tell you the DC version's parry timing is way off. Not to mention the DC has a whole host of standard move timing issues which make some arcade and PS2 combos impossible (and I don't mean hard - I mean they simply don't come out) on DC. If you want to see it for yourself, then grab the PS2 version and play it for a few days, then go back to the DC version and feel just how wrong the timings are.

There's a few folks on these forums who I recognise from SRK, OzHadou, and BYOAC. On those forums the topic has been covered to death. Seeing as this is a shmups forum I'm not going to bother, but do know that the evidence is out there. Search for it if you really want. But know that any "Pro" will tell you the same, and also tell you that they just simply don't play the DC version because it really does suck.

There's a very good reason I shelled out money for a PS2 copy of 3S when I already had it on Dreamcast. As much as the deinterlaced modes look really nice, gameplay (and in this case, arcade accuracy)is far more important than graphic modes.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The differences between PS2 and Dreamcast versions are irrelevant. The only concern is the difference between Dreamcast and CPS-III. If you could connect the same joysticks to DC and CPS-III and do identical moves and parry then you'd know for sure if the versions disagree as regards timing. Some people could do this because they have DC sticks modified for superguns and can presumably connect to both simultaneously.

The rumours about the characters being taller and more authentic-looking on PS2 were clearly wrong, so I won't believe the rumours about timing differences until I see evidence.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

stellarola wrote: The pictures above are of the dreamcast running in deinterlaced mode and interlaced mode.
Not to nitpick, but "deinterlace" is a technique used to convert an interlaced picture to non-interlaced. So what you should be saying is that these are pics of a dreamcast running in non-interlaced, and interlaced modes.

Unless you are saying that the dreamcast "deinterlaced" the picture on the left (meaning that the DC is doing a conversion to non-interlaced)...which we know is not true.
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

Dave_K. wrote:
stellarola wrote: The pictures above are of the dreamcast running in deinterlaced mode and interlaced mode.
Not to nitpick, but "deinterlace" is a technique used to convert an interlaced picture to non-interlaced. So what you should be saying is that these are pics of a dreamcast running in non-interlaced, and interlaced modes.

Unless you are saying that the dreamcast "deinterlaced" the picture on the left (meaning that the DC is doing a conversion to non-interlaced)...which we know is not true.
I see what you mean, my mistake. I meant to say non-interlacted. Thanks Dave. 8)