How to distingush Bootleg MVS Carts from the real one?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SAM

How to distingush Bootleg MVS Carts from the real one?

Post by SAM »

It seems that there are quite a number of Bootleg MVS carts out there. :x

Since they both works. How do I know it is a bootleg? :?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
SuperGrafx

Re: How to distingush Bootleg MVS Carts from the real one?

Post by SuperGrafx »

SAM wrote:It seems that there are quite a number of Bootleg MVS carts out there. :x

Since they both works. How do I know it is a bootleg? :?
Easiest was is to open the cart and check the PCB boards.
I used to collect Neo Geo MVS carts a few years back and that's really the only surefire way to tell as cart labels are often swapped and SNK itself released carts in different colors.

You can try www.neo-geo.com and do a search on their tech forum. I think there's a topic there which goes into good detail about distinguishing boots from the real deal.
it290

Post by it290 »

Yes, checking the PCBs is the only surefire way. There are even quite a few 'legit PCB in non-original case' carts out there.

Also, consider the game in question. There are a huge number of Puzzle Bobble bootlegs out there, for instance, but you're not likely to find too many King of the Monsters 2 bootlegs.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

it290 wrote:Yes, checking the PCBs is the only surefire way. There are even quite a few 'legit PCB in non-original case' carts out there.

Also, consider the game in question. There are a huge number of Puzzle Bobble bootlegs out there, for instance, but you're not likely to find too many King of the Monsters 2 bootlegs.
Indeed.
And to complicate things even more, some MVS carts even had "official SNK repair jobs" meaning that some mask roms were swapped out with EPROMs and occassional bridge wires can be found. Some of the Fatal Fury and KOF games have this, and it's easy to write them off as bootlegs even though they're actually legit updates from SNK.

Puzzle Bobble is one of those anomalies (as is the later release Pochi and Nyaa) that shipped with EPROMs on the PCB straight from the factory. Some say that complete mask rom versions of PUzzle Bobble exist, but I've never seen or come across one that does.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

If you have a flashlight sometimes you can get away without opening the case. Toshiba chips are one of the more common ones you will find inside original boards.

You will rarely find bootleg boards inside original cases, likewise cases with original labels.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

iatneH wrote:If you have a flashlight sometimes you can get away without opening the case. Toshiba chips are one of the more common ones you will find inside original boards.

You will rarely find bootleg boards inside original cases, likewise cases with original labels.
The problem with labels though is that some sellers/collectors will replace them regardless with inferior reprints, so that's not always a good way to validate.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Yeah, what I mean is that if it's an original label, chances are the boards are original...

Anyway get that flashlight/screwdriver handy..
CIT

Post by CIT »

I think most bootlegs can be identified by MX flash chips like these in the pic:

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/4365/bild7wp.jpg

MX = bootleg