Hais brand arcade stick

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Shatterhand

Hais brand arcade stick

Post by Shatterhand »

Anyone knows this "Hais" brand?

I know two different people selling dual PSX arcade-sticks made by them for a very reasonable price. They look very slick, but I don't know if I can trust photos.

Anyone can recommend or trash this brand ?
GoPodular.com

Post by GoPodular.com »

I've never heard of them. Their website doesn't show any arcade sticks, so I can't comment on them. Any idea what parts they use?
Yes, our controllers work with the Xbox360.

Post by Shatterhand »

Absolutely no idea.

I've posted one of the sticks being sold in the other thread. Here is the link for its auction page

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-42541101-_JM

Then there's also this one, which looks very similar (The art is different, and the stick seems to be better)

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB- ... tion-1-_JM

The price is really good (But they are real auction, the price may rise), and the sticks looks to be good.

I can't belive a company would go and have the trouble to make a stick of this type (dual) and make a crap work on it.

I don't know much about arcade sticks (I know Sanwa and Seimitsu stuff are great, just because I keep hearing about them here all the time), but I am not after perfection, I want something to play fighting and shmups game with friend with a reasonable stick.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I have a Dreamcast VGA box made by Hais. It's fine and quite well-featured, but those things are simple devices with no moving parts besides a slide switch.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

This one looks like it is using the ultra cheap 'rubber over contact' type buttons (like a standard gamepad). This type feels sluggish and not as responsive.
Then there's also this one, which looks very similar (The art is different, and the stick seems to be better)
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB- ... tion-1-_JM
The buttons are clearly some kind of arcade pushbutton knock-off at least. Better than the first.
I am not after perfection, I want something to play fighting and shmups game with friend with a reasonable stick.
I think the second one is most likely suitable then.

If you find something else that you are able to purchase, post it here as well.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

sorry, I posted the wrong link

The right one is that

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB- ... eu-ps2-_JM

instead of

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-42541101-_JM

This one I already knew it wasn't good. Just by looking at it I could tell it was crap. This one is not made by Hais, but by Vision.
GoPodular.com

Post by GoPodular.com »

I'd take the balltop version over the other one, but that's kind of personal preference. I'd say the joysticks are probably the same quality in both. But that's just guessing because they use the same dust washer... :roll:

Worst case scenario is that you could *probably* upgrade all the parts if needed. Looks like Sanwa snap-in buttons might work along with JLF sticks. That's only if you didn't like what was there though. I think I'd bid like you had to upgrade one joystick immediately. That way if you do, you're covered.

I was able to find some general info on the company itself:
"Shenzhen Hais Electronic Co., LTD. has been specializing in Video Game Machine accessories for more than ten years" - [written in 2001, so the company must have started ~1991]

Those panels weren't part of their lineup in 2001, unsure if they are older or newer. I'm guessing older.

Based in Guangdong, China.

There isn't much other info out there.
Yes, our controllers work with the Xbox360.

Post by Shatterhand »

Yeah, I am more inclined to go for the balltop one too.
:D
Thanx for all the help so far, guys :)
OneEyedJack

Post by OneEyedJack »

Of the two links posted there was a single and a dual.

For the single, you would be better served to give your money to a poor homeless person. [I don't mean this in a unkind way, the stick REALLY blows]

For the dual, it looks similar to the PS1 and DC Blaze sticks. On the second player (1p is fine) the start/select buttons may be too close to the heel of your hand causing unintended pauses.
-Jon in Canada
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Yeah, I posted the wrong link.. Like I said in the other post, this is the right link:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB- ... eu-ps2-_JM

Are those blaze sticks any good?
OneEyedJack

Post by OneEyedJack »

The link you just posted is the dual which I commented on.

They seem to be resposive. The sticks are clicky, if that is a problem. Might be a little shoulder close for 2p, but you can pretend you are at a real arcade. :D

The heel of the hand hitting the start/select buttons on the 2p stick is very real. Perfectly fine for 1p.:D
-Jon in Canada
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Well, I bought the Balltop model. When I receive it, I'll tell you guys what I think about it :)
Eps

Post by Eps »

76 reals? :o That's about £20, or US$35! :shock: I think, for that price, you almost can't go wrong, even if you only use it to put Japanese parts in ;)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

+ R$ 22,50 for the shipping :)

Still I think it was a very good price indeed. :). Let's hope the thing is any good :)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Ok, I got the controller today.

The stick is HORRIBLE. I don't know if the thing is just worn out or something, but it's just horrible. Stick 2 is loose, it's not auto-centering, not to mention I couldn't manage to get any response from any buttons in side 2 using an PSX2-USB adapter (I'll try in a real PSX soon).

The case of the controller has 3,5 cm of height aproximatelly. Please, someone tell me I can mod this thing and put a proper stick on it.

I think I got loyally screwed on this... :( :( :( :(
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

I'm sorry to hear that man. Hey look at it this way, you could turn it into a pet project. Make it the best stick ever with custom parts and bling blinging lights and shit. :P
elvis

Post by elvis »

Shatterhand wrote:The stick is HORRIBLE.
Not trying to be a smart arse or anything, but you get what you pay for. Cheap sticks are cheap for a reason.

I suggest ripping the controller circuit out and making your own stick with genuine sanwa/seimitsu/happ parts. Custom-built sticks are the only way to fly.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

The case of the controller has 3,5 cm of height aproximatelly. Please, someone tell me I can mod this thing and put a proper stick on it.
That depth is enough. We'll need the measurements for the stick mounting points and button holes to advise the best route.
I suggest ripping the controller circuit out and making your own stick with genuine sanwa/seimitsu/happ parts. Custom-built sticks are the only way to fly.
I would suggest replacing the stick and buttons only. Seeing as how you've already got a Japan style control panel assembly (thermoplastic+metal), building your own case out of some crap MDF is a wasted effort. To each his own though.
elvis

Post by elvis »

oxtsu wrote:I would suggest replacing the stick and buttons only. Seeing as how you've already got a Japan style control panel assembly (thermoplastic+metal), building your own case out of some crap MDF is a wasted effort. To each his own though.
Who said anything about MDF? I can get die-cast aluminium project boxes here locally for AU$35 (around US$25) that make great lightweight yet ultra strong joystick casings.

Either way: the sticks linked to above are notorious for being very shallow. If you can fit a sanwa stick in there, go for it (near zero effort mods are great). If not, there's always other options.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

That's all fine and good. I didn't mean to knock any of the talented scratch builders out there, nor put words in your mouth. My point was, he likely has a nice CP assembly already, and should use it. You suggested he just chuck everything but the encoders. Kind of ridiculous seeing as he already paid $40-50 and probably doesn't have the skills to build his own case proper anyway. Maybe you were just trying to make the point "full custom is best" and not thinking so much of his situation. That's debatable and understandable.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I actually am now thinking about reselling the stick for the same price I bought it, put some more money on it, and buy a better stick.

I got some extra money I wasn't expecting to receive, so I think that will be the easier route to follow now. :)

Thanx for all the help guys. And No Elvis, you are not being a smart ass :)