Ibara voltage problem?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
sven666

Ibara voltage problem?

Post by sven666 »

yeah, my Ibara PCB works fine in one of my cabs, but when i put it in my vertical cab it wont start, the red diode keeps flashing and the 5V fluctuates between 4V and 6V...?

anyone have a clue as to what the hell is going on? :oops:
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
SAM

Re: Ibara voltage problem?

Post by SAM »

sven666 wrote:yeah, my Ibara PCB works fine in one of my cabs, but when i put it in my vertical cab it wont start, the red diode keeps flashing and the 5V fluctuates between 4V and 6V...?
Well, I don't know. But a quick fix would be swoping the PSUs of the two cabs. :o
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
system11

Post by system11 »

Sounds very much like you have a bad power supply in that cab.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
sven666

Post by sven666 »

bloodflowers wrote:Sounds very much like you have a bad power supply in that cab.
yeah i know but it works fine with all my other PCBs?

a little on the high side maybe (measures about 5.5V when turned all the way down).
DDP DOJ, ESPgaluda and a bunch of older PCBs work fine, could it be just Ibara thats so sensitive?
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

sven666 wrote: DDP DOJ, ESPgaluda and a bunch of older PCBs work fine, could it be just Ibara thats so sensitive?
Possibly.
When I was building a Supergun a few years back, I remember hearing that some PCB's liked 4.7-5.2 Volts that's why an adjustable power supply was recommended.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

sven666 wrote:
bloodflowers wrote:Sounds very much like you have a bad power supply in that cab.
yeah i know but it works fine with all my other PCBs?

a little on the high side maybe (measures about 5.5V when turned all the way down).
I agree with bloodflowers. 5.5V at the lowest setting? This is not normal..and bad for your PCBs in the longrun too. It could be the difference in hardware (Ibara v. the other PCBs you tested), so the symptoms are not always consistent. What is the +5V amps rating on this power supply? Maybe it's not enough for the newest Cave boards like Ibara.
system11

Post by system11 »

It sounds like one of the power supplies that tries to regulate supplied power by how much is drawn - they do exist, and they're infamous for cooking boards when they go wrong. Some old Atari cabs are known for this.

Or it could be a cheap one, which is fucked. At any rate, 5.5v minimum is absolutely wrong, modern electronics are definitely more tempramental with supply issues than old were. Depending on the meter used, it might actually be varying fairly rapidly and you're not seeing that on the meter refresh. Replace it!
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org