Generic vs. "official" component video cables

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
extrarice

Generic vs. "official" component video cables

Post by extrarice »

The Shmup crowd is particular about the video of their games, so I figured this would be a good place to ask. I'm starting to move up from Composite to Component cabling on my consoles, and I'm wondering if there's any noticable difference in output from, say, the Nintendo-produced Component cable (now going for $100+ on ebay since Nintendo doesn't sell them anymore :evil: ) vs. one of those multi-console cables?
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Generic vs. "official" component video cables

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

extrarice wrote:The Shmup crowd is particular about the video of their games, so I figured this would be a good place to ask. I'm starting to move up from Composite to Component cabling on my consoles, and I'm wondering if there's any noticable difference in output from, say, the Nintendo-produced Component cable (now going for $100+ on ebay since Nintendo doesn't sell them anymore :evil: ) vs. one of those multi-console cables?
For extrarice,

Yes, some shmuppers can be peculiar when it comes to video output of their games (whether it be arcade PCBs or home console systems). FYI, no 3rd-party sells such a multi-console component video cable for all three major consoles (i.e. -- the PS2, XBox & GCN) because the GCN component video cable contains 1st party Nintendo chipset to convert digital signal to analog signal. So yes, be willing to spend about fifty bucks for a GCN Component Video or D-Terminal cable set for the best analog output. Of course, the GCN component video or D-Terminal cable sets can be converted to output in either 15 kHz RGB analog or 31 kHz VGA monitor signal outputs.

I've got a modded Japanese Gamecube D-Terminal cable set that was converted to 31 kHz VGA output. Razor sharp presentation in 640 x 480 resolution @ 60hz for use only with "progressive scan' output compatiable GCN games though. Unfortunately, one has to use the original GCN A/V hookup cable to get access to the sound effects & BGM tunes in conjunction with a GCN component video or D-Terminal cable setup.

I have one of the original Monster Game Cable setups of PS2 Component Video set that only has the three Component Video plugs. In order for me to get analog audio extracted, I have to use a 1st party Sony branded PSX or PS2 A/V Adapter, then plug in the Monster Game PS2 Component Video Cable set to that particular adapter.

I e-mailed Monster Cable in 2001, about making such a PS2 Monster Game Component Video cable with component video and analog audio output support...they heeded my advice...several months later on down the road, I saw that they did make such a 2nd generation Monster Game Component Video Cable set for the PS2 console. It still can be found in the USA in stores like Circuit City & Radio Shack for MSRP $59.99 USD.

Of course for the purist, there's mention of 21-pin Japanese RGB (or European Scart RGB cable output) used in conjunction with any of the XRGB-1/XRGB-2/XRGB-2+ (or the upcoming XRGB-3) upscan convertors for the best in picture clarity. Or one can hack up some custom-made RGB cables from their home game consoles and hook them up to an arcade RGB monitor or a small general purpose RGB monitor (like the Commordore Amiga RGB monitor series). One can't get any better than that with a TRUE low-resolution CRT-type RGB monitor.

I do have the Official Sony PS2 Component Video Cable set and compared to the hefty Monster Game PS2 Component Video Cable set, the latter wins hands down. 24K gold plated and sheilded wiring is standard on the Monster Game produced PS2 Component Video Cable set whereas on the Sony branded one, it's isn't there.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
extrarice

Post by extrarice »

Thanks for the info! The D-Terminal cable and VGA cables sound interesting. I'll need to look into those.