Dreamcast clock and date question! VMU question as well!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

Dreamcast clock and date question! VMU question as well!

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Does this run on a chargable battery inside the console?

I don't usually play my DC because I only have a few games on it, the last few times I played my DC I had to set the date and time.

Also, the VMS/VMU has the Capcom logo on it until a game gets to the point of loading 10 seconds in. I think this happened when I bought Power stone 7 years ago and its still there. I have deleted the save file but its still there.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
greg

Post by greg »

The exact same thing has happened to both of my Dreamcasts. One was a first-gen US bought on the launch date of 9/9/99, and the other is my Japanese Sakura Taisen DC bought in December of 2000. I've ran them for a few hours to try to recharge them as I've read to do so on the Web, but the charge won't remain. I found out that it takes a Panasonic ML2020, and I'll have to replace this on my DCs.

As for the logo, this can be charged on the DC's OS screen. Play around with the file settings. There are several to choose from that are built in to the DC, and other games have their own. Plus I think you can download fanmade ones off of planetdreamcast.com. My Adventure/RPG VMU has Skies of Arcadia's logo, my shmup-dedicated VMU has Twinkle Star Sprites's logo, and my pink Sakura Taisen logo I use for my regular Japanese game saves has Sakura's face on it. I think the fourth and final VMU I use for my domestic DC games has no log on it.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
OneEyedJack

Post by OneEyedJack »

Confirmed!

Have an empty or full VMU, boot up Power Stone 1 and go right into the save/load menu option and save. You will have a Capcom Icon on your VMU!!!!!
-Jon in Canada
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Wait....are you guys talking about booting up the DC after longer than 12 hours of being unplugged, or just a long period of time plugged in but not being used?

If it's the former....well....it was my impression that this was just the way they are...even thought it was stated in the manual...

The latter...well.......
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I boxed my DC up for months at a time. So I can understand why I need to reset the clock and date when I do that. However, sometimes I play it for a few hours and let turn it off for a day or two and I have to reset the date/clock again.

So if its charging whilst playing, obviously you have to let it run for a good while to get a good charge.

About the VMU, any way to get rid of the Capcom logo?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
OneEyedJack

Post by OneEyedJack »

neorichieb1971: I think you have to back up your saves and reformat
-Jon in Canada
D

Post by D »

For me it's about a month.
If the unit has not been operational for a month, then you have to reset the date.
not to be confused with the Saturn. With the saturn you never have to reset the date unless the battery runs out.
It could indeed be that there's a battery in the DC that's so worn out that the month period is shortened to a few hours?
Someone who's DC is on alot should shed some light on the matter, perhaps it's something us DC owners will experience in the future.