Internal Saturn Memory

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Halloween Jack

Internal Saturn Memory

Post by Halloween Jack »

Hi Guys,

I've just lost all Battle Garegga scores on my White Saturn :evil:
Having searched previous posts, I obviously have two choices - the RAM back-up cart or changing the battery.

Its the latter that I'm interested in - what's actually inside; is it a bespoke board or a lithium cell, like those used for the DC VMU?

Could start to take the console apart and find out for myself, but its far easier to ask first.

Thanks

Halloween Jack.
FatalError

Post by FatalError »

Changing the battery is very simple in the Saturn.

In the rear of the console there is a rectangular panel you can remove (no tools required). You will see a lithium battery. The battery can be removed without any tools (just lift it up and out).

Replace with a CR2032 battery. These batteries are plentiful, so you should have no problem finding it. Let me know if that helps.
Skyline

Re: Internal Saturn Memory

Post by Skyline »

Backup memory carts seem to serve their purpose quite well when it comes to situations like this (when the main battery decides to kick the bucket). I myself back up data about every 10th gaming sessions or so.

Then again that depends on how much you play. If you can find one for cheap, go for it.

I wouldn't reccomend the InterAct Memory Card Plus, as it really doesn't save anything all that reliably, and supposedly has the potential to fuck up your Saturn's internal BIOS.
SAM

Post by SAM »

I think you should do both. :o

If you are not playing RGP or startagy on the Saturn, the internal memory should be more than enough to save your scores. But since the internal battery would run out one day, it would be a good idea to have a Memory cart so that, you could back up your score on it.

I think the Saturn Save cart is just like a modern save card and does not have battery inside. So it should not got the battery run out problem.

By keeping the internal memory in working condition, you could save your scores when you playing game that required RAM cart. You than backup the save file on the Save Cart later.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Yeah do both, CR2032's are cheap and some saturn games really do eat up the Ram. I can't store all my shmup scores on the internal memory. Shining force 3 ep1-3 command it.
Vidi Vici Veni
Halloween Jack

Post by Halloween Jack »

Excellent, thanks for the advice guys. I've located the Lithium cell and intend to replace it as soon as the shops open after Easter. In the long term I'll keep my eye on E-Bay for a back-up cart. Don't use the Saturn for strategy or RPG's, but fancy the idea of taking a back-up of hi-scores on removable media.

Cheers
Halloween Jack
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Related to this article, I have a Model 2 US Saturn and about 1 year ago I replaced the CR2032 battery. I find that if I don't use my Saturn for a while, I get the prompt to set language and time. My saves are still intact sometimes. Any ideas on why this might occur. Thankfully I've never permanently lost saves (Silvergun and Garegga, phew) since I got a cheap official UK release memory cart.
Last edited by Limbrooke on Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

im pretty sure that if the system dosent remain plugged in, the time/date/language setting will reset after awhile.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

I'm fairly certain it was never unplugged, that's the strange part.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Halloween Jack

Post by Halloween Jack »

Well I've just been and bought a new lithium button cell - for £5.50!!!!

....then proceeded to get a back-up cart from liksang for three quid + postage :P

All's right with the world again :lol:

Halloween Jack