Thinking I should go with a jps2 vs. modded

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Neon

Thinking I should go with a jps2 vs. modded

Post by Neon »

I've been thinking I should get rid of my modded one and get a japanese or asian one.

At the browser/system configuration screen you get when there's no disc in, you can also hit triangle for the 'version' menu. Therein lies an option called 'playstation driver' (mine is version 1.11). It gives you the option for faster load times and smoother textures on psx games.

Here's the kicker - to boot psx games on a messiah 2, you need to tap the reset button until the light comes on. but since the playstation driver option resets the settings each time you turn off the ps2, that leaves me without a way to get faster loads and better graphicz0rz on psx games...

So is there an exploit around this (or a way to force it to save the settings) or should I just go for a japanese model? Thanks...
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

What about hitting reset, and then opening up the tray? That way you can wait for the system to get into the main menu. Unless you need of course, to have the disc inside and then hit reset for the Messiah to work its wonders.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I tried, didn't work, although the one psx game I have here with me is scratched to hell and back... :(

I'll give it another shot though
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Ok. I just tried this with Wipeout 3, on my unmodded system. I just set the options to smooth texturing with the tray open. Hit reset. Then I opened the tray and noticed it was still set to smooth. I don't think the settings get erased when you hit reset. My PS driver is version 1.10.

Does the chip require you to turn the system off and on in order to boot an import, or simply resetting does it?
Neon

Post by Neon »

Does the chip require you to turn the system off and on in order to boot an import
yes :(

However I think the eject-the-tray trick will work once I get a game that I'm sure works...
system11

Post by system11 »

I have two PS2s (well three counting an old JP one for sale, UK people only as shipping+exchange rate makes it too expensive for others), owning a JP model makes playing imports so very much easier. As an added attraction, they make them in some nice colours these days. Mine looks like this:

http://www.system11.org/temp/so_pink.jpg

I don't know why it should be the case, but until I got that special edition, I'd almost stopped playing shmups. Certainly some kind of mental thing, maybe I associate the black ones with normal western games?
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i have no advice, although i just sprang for an asian ps2 myself. i just wanted to point out that bloodflowers' ps2 is the coolest!
I have no sig whatsoever.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

bloodflowers wrote:I have two PS2s (well three counting an old JP one for sale, UK people only as shipping+exchange rate makes it too expensive for others), owning a JP model makes playing imports so very much easier. As an added attraction, they make them in some nice colours these days. Mine looks like this:

http://www.system11.org/temp/so_pink.jpg

I don't know why it should be the case, but until I got that special edition, I'd almost stopped playing shmups. Certainly some kind of mental thing, maybe I associate the black ones with normal western games?

Must.. not.. make.. Sega Fanboy... joke.. argh! :P
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Definitely. The PS2 is apparently a bitch to mod. Unless you're into it (and good at it) I would not. A friend of mine did his w/ a new chip (boots anything) but he lives in Japan, and probably needs a lot of his games in English as his Japanese ain't so good. They're pretty cheap now though... I'm a time is money guy, so never bothered.

I just sold my old black PS2 for $100 b/c I got a white PS2 before leaving Japan, since I'm into white supremecy.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I heart when people never read the previous posts :P
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

I heart my wife, but that's just me. Some people heart NY... I do think it's a great city, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to heart it.