A couple questions about PS2 progressive scan, and cables..

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jormungand

A couple questions about PS2 progressive scan, and cables..

Post by jormungand »

I recently acquired an hdtv, and my ps2 is connected via the sony ps2 component cables. I read that to enter progressive scan mode on your ps2, you hold triangle and X while the game boots..the only game I have got that actually states it is going into progressive scan mode is Soul Calibur III. Shortly thereafter I read that only certain ps2 systems actually display in progressive scan. If this is true, is there any way to discern whether a ps2 has this feature? I have noticed that games like SCIII, Tekken 5 and Kingdom Hearts 2 look awesome in progressive scan modes, whereas Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando, and a few others look somewhat worse. Which leads me to my other question, are the sony brand component cables the best for connecting to hd, or are there some 3rd party cables that do a better job?

Thanks for any and all input..
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The latest PS2 games that support Progressive scan have an option in the options menu. Tekken 5 and God Of War have this option in a menu. SC3 being Namco, I would think it would be in the options menu as well.

If you go to older games such as Burnout 2, you need to hold the triangle and X button I think. It will tell you in the manual.

I use official component cables from Sony, Monster cables do a ps2 component cable for about $80 in the USA but I do not know if they are worth the $55 extra you would be paying for them.

Make sure your TV is in 480p mode, sometimes (especially with the cube) its like the console can detect what mode your TV is in. If its in interlaced mode, sometimes it may not work. Like I say, with the cube, if my TV was connected via component and in 480p mode, it would prompt me automatically to change to 480p.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
PC Engine Fan X!

Monster Cable's Monster Game Component Video for PS2...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Monster Cable's line of Monster Game products produces 3rd-party Component Video Cables for the PS2 and the XBox.

The 1st generation Monster Game PS2 Component Video Cables set only came with Component Video plugs and no audio output support and retailed with a MSRP of $59.99 USD. (The idea was that Monster Cable was assuming that a PS2 owner would be using an optical digital cable as the primary source of sound output on the PS2 when using this particular Monster Game PS2 Component Video cable set.) It was superceeded by the 2nd generation Monster Game PS2 Component Video Cable with Analog Audio support.

The 2nd generation Monster Game PS2 Component Video Cables with Analog Audio support was made in response for demand that one be made. Monster cable listened to the suggestions for such a cable and delievered one. It retails for the same price as the 1st generation Monster Game PS2 Component Video Cable set did -- $59.99 USD and can be found across the USA in stores like Circuit City & Radio Shack.

I recall that Monster Cable did sell a Monster Game version of S-Video Cable for the Gamecube in 2002 but only in limited numbers.

Having a Monster Game Component Video Cable set either for the PS2 or XBox is hefty, HUGE and so thick! It's worth the serious $$$ for it.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SAM

Re: Monster Cable's Monster Game Component Video for PS2...

Post by SAM »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Monster Cable's line of Monster Game products produces 3rd-party Component Video Cables for the PS2 and the XBox.
I confirm that the Moster cable is really better than the Official Sony cable.
jormungand wrote:Shortly thereafter I read that only certain ps2 systems actually display in progressive scan. If this is true, is there any way to discern whether a ps2 has this feature?
No, all PS2 support progressive scan. I think those people are trying to say only a few PS2 games support (progressive scan) this feature.

Shikigami no Shiro 2 & Trizeal are the only PS2 shmups that support progressive scan.

Anyway, you could always watch DVD on PS2 at progressive scan mode.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Anyone who pays $60+ for a monster cable is a fool. I've seen monster component cables and other generic 3rd party cables, and there's no difference in picture quality. The component cables I have for my ps2 and xbox are a generic brand, but they were only $5 each and look just as good as any other component cable.

Don't waste your money. Use that $60 and buy a new game.
SAM

Post by SAM »

twe wrote:Anyone who pays $60+ for a monster cable is a fool. I've seen monster component cables and other generic 3rd party cables, and there's no difference in picture quality. The component cables I have for my ps2 and xbox are a generic brand, but they were only $5 each and look just as good as any other component cable.

Don't waste your money. Use that $60 and buy a new game.
Well, monster cable does has a difference. The resulting screen is really slightly better. But this difference could only be notice by someone who have played the displaying game for 100+hrs using the same TV. :o

Monster cable IS really give a *slightly* better image when I playing MushiHime Same (I do notice some difference) on the TV in my room. :x

But when it comes to whether it is justify to spend $60 to improve the image quality that slightly so slightly that you hardly notice, is totally up to you. :lol:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

It should be noted that DVD playback on ps2 is not always possible in progressive scan, the older models do not support it.

However, all the ps2 systems support progressive scan on the games.
SAM

Post by SAM »

neorichieb1971 wrote:It should be noted that DVD playback on ps2 is not always possible in progressive scan, the older models do not support it.
Really?! You means those able to play DVD using RGB out without sync on green?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Progressive scan on DVD for PS2 was introduced late by Sony. Only the very latest of bulky machines had the capability. I think there was a way around this, you could buy the remote control which had a driver update on it (came with a DVD disc to update your drivers).

The drivers on really old PS2's, more than 2 years old do not have the progressive scan drivers at all.. and I don't know if you can still buy the drivers with the remote control or not.

The new PStwo's (slimlines) all come progressive scan enabled.

So yeah, any PS2 can play DVD's in progressive scan.. but I doubt many people upgraded the drivers in their older machines.
matt

Post by matt »

SAM wrote: Really?! You means those able to play DVD using RGB out without sync on green?
Although Neorichieb is talking about something completely different, the original Japanese PS2 systems (without the hard drive bay) will play DVDs in RGB. This triggered copy-protection complaints from the movie industry so they changed it.

Some mod chips will allow DVDs in RGB - I have a DMS3 in my PS2 that lets me use it happily on my RGB monitor. You can also use the DVD Region-X swap disk.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Matt,

Its my assumption you cannot use progressive scan via RGB since its a 15khz signal. Therefore how is Sams question relative to RGB? Or am I missing something!
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

RGB is disabled for DVD movie playback on most PS2 models, as Matt explained above.

You can utilize RGB or Component video while in progressive scan/480p mode. This VGA cable, or similar, is what you'll need for RGB+480p (VGA). Sync and RGB are two seperate things. Most of us say 'RGB' when referring to 15khz low res, though 'VGA' is also RGB just w/31k. And then again with '480p' it's usually referring to Component w/31k, though 480p display can use RGB or Component, it becomes more confusing.