Ripping sound to CPU from PS2 discs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ZacharyB

Ripping sound to CPU from PS2 discs

Post by ZacharyB »

I know it's possible to rip music from PS2 discs... but I don't know how.

Would it be possible to just plug the audio jacks into my sound card? I have a program that can record directly from output.

Another option is finding a program that rips sound files, but I don't know if the game developer encodes them in a way specific to the game or what...

You guys have more experience than I do; what would you do?
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

www.zophar.net probably has what you're looking for in the audio tools.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

I see, ripping requires a custom .exe I would make myself that would extract the VB and SQ data...
nZero

Re: Ripping sound to CPU from PS2 discs

Post by nZero »

ZacharyB wrote:Would it be possible to just plug the audio jacks into my sound card? I have a program that can record directly from output.
Yes, you can line-in the PS2's output to your soundcard.
ZacharyB wrote:Another option is finding a program that rips sound files, but I don't know if the game developer encodes them in a way specific to the game or what...
Yes, different games use different methods.
raiden

Re: Ripping sound to CPU from PS2 discs

Post by raiden »

nZero wrote:
ZacharyB wrote:Another option is finding a program that rips sound files, but I don't know if the game developer encodes them in a way specific to the game or what...
Yes, different games use different methods.
that´s right, but there are a few standards, it´s not like every new game develops its own sound encoder. Just put the CD/DVD in your computer and look for a folder called "audio", "sound" or something like that. In this folder, look at the file types. Let´s say the files are called xxx.adx like is common with Dreamcast games. Now just proceed and search the web for a tool called "adx to wav/mp3" or whatever filetype the game uses. You have to experiment a little, but it´s not that hard really.
The benefit from doing a conversion instead of grabbing audio output is you get a pure signal with no sound effects in between.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

That's a good tip that I tried already to no avail; my particular disc didn't have sound files out for perusal in the main directories, just a 119 MB main data file called "bigfile.big" (sense of humor?) and some .fmv files

But I'm glad to hear a soundcard can interpret this kind of audio input!

Thanks everyone for your tips and responses!
raiden

Post by raiden »

in that case I´d search for a .big extractor tool. Sometimes all audio files are lumped together in one big file, but chances are someone already made a tool to extract them again. Actually, the tool will definitely exist as developers need it, the question is just whether you can find it online or not.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Should this topic be moved to "hardware" ?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

It's cool! I found out how to route the RCA jacks into my sound card input jack with a splitter... works great